BajaNomad

Eco Center ?? just NW of Catavina ?

Aldervale - 1-4-2017 at 05:31 PM

Greetings all

Is anyone familiar with an Eco Turista camp just north of Catavina and on the West side of the highway ?

I have seen a simple sign and road but forgot to record the name.

Just wondered if anyone knows more.

Many thanks

Aldervale

David K - 1-4-2017 at 06:10 PM

It is at the turnoff, parking area for the pictograph site. 2 kms. north of Cataviña... It was never open or active when I was close by, it was in ruins last I noticed... but maybe it was re-activated? I drove by last in July.

Aldervale - 1-4-2017 at 06:33 PM

Hi David

No not near the pictographs but about a mile north of there on the west side....there is a rustic sign pointing down the sand road....

Hmmm.... sign seemed not so old.

We also wondered about other small local Ejido (or other) efforts to highlight local resources.....throughout B C S.

Looking for things do away from the highway.

Aldervale

MMc - 1-4-2017 at 07:17 PM

I love to wander in that area. Take a walk up or down a canyon and you can find all sorts of stuff.

David K - 1-4-2017 at 10:25 PM

Are we talking about La Bocana (no, not where Blanca lives)? It is shown as a Zona Arquelogica on maps, off the road to Punta Canoas/Faro San José.

Aldervale - 1-5-2017 at 10:14 AM

Hi

Somewhere I think I have a photo of the small sign...let me look.

Aldervale

BigBearRider - 1-5-2017 at 11:21 AM

The geo dome is on the east side, and in bad shape.

Aldervale - 1-17-2017 at 08:39 PM

I FINALLY found the photo of the sign just north of Catavina on the west side of the highway.

The name is "La Bocana"

Ecoturistico about 25 K west.

Has anyone traveled down this sand road ?

Many thanks

Aldervale

David K - 1-17-2017 at 09:26 PM

As I thought, Neal Johns has been in there. I will check it out in the next month or soon.

mtgoat666 - 1-17-2017 at 10:29 PM

Www.geoturismolabocana.com

It's been there a couple years

Up by el rosario are similar rancho la huertita and rancho las tinajas, anyone been to either?

[Edited on 1-18-2017 by mtgoat666]

David K - 1-18-2017 at 12:26 AM

Thanks for that link, it led me to their Facebook page and more photos: https://www.facebook.com/geoturismolabocana/

StuckSucks - 1-18-2017 at 11:48 AM

aqui: Geoturismo la bocana

islandhop - 1-19-2017 at 01:37 PM

I was out that way around 3 or so years ago .
You'll see one more broken down sign that leads you to a Rancho that has been long ago abandoned and in total disrepair.

KurtG - 1-19-2017 at 02:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by islandhop  
You'll see one more broken down sign that leads you to a Rancho that has been long ago abandoned and in total disrepair.

The webpage is copyright 2015 so I wonder if it has been refurbished since you were there. Looks like a nice little side trip to check it out.

mtgoat666 - 1-19-2017 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by islandhop  

Pretty sure you're talking about a different place.

TecateRay - 1-19-2017 at 03:45 PM

This sounds like the Rancho owned by the folks that run the restaurant across the highway from the hotel at Cataviña. We talked with them a year or so ago and they encouraged us (offroad group) to come out and stay there. Sounds interesting.

islandhop - 1-19-2017 at 04:26 PM

It may very well be refurbished now . It has been several years. I didn't see much of interest as I was headed to the coast.

David K - 1-19-2017 at 04:28 PM

This photo was posted less than a year ago of the lodge there... Is this what islandhop found in disrepair?

Attachment: phpcveICI (227kB)
This file has been downloaded 253 times

[Edited on 1-19-2017 by David K]

islandhop - 1-19-2017 at 04:43 PM

Well. I'm usually pretty good at finding my way around Baja but this definitely is not what I found.. So I probably just stumbled upon an old Rancho..

David K - 1-19-2017 at 04:45 PM

Thank you! Did you see the other photos on the Facebook page for the place? Very impressive.

islandhop - 1-19-2017 at 05:02 PM

Thanks for the info. Now I have a new destination. Now ,who wants to go on a multi day sidebyside trip out that direction?

dirtbikejunkie - 3-6-2020 at 03:11 PM

Anyone have a google map point or gps coordinates for it? I've talked to Nathan at the restaurant about staying there on our next trip.

David K - 3-6-2020 at 04:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dirtbikejunkie  
Anyone have a google map point or gps coordinates for it? I've talked to Nathan at the restaurant about staying there on our next trip.

StuckSucks provided it (above)...

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
aqui: Geoturismo la bocana

pandesol - 3-9-2020 at 01:04 PM

Ooooh...I think I am going to try to make a stop here in a few weeks. Nice find.

pandesol - 3-9-2020 at 03:00 PM

I just completed a reservation there using their FB site messenger. I hope to report back here with my experience there. We are set to arrive there March 21st.

David K - 3-9-2020 at 03:53 PM

Super! Looking forward to your trip report.

pandesol - 3-11-2020 at 09:22 AM

I was surprised to see La Bocana included in the Devil's Road film last night. It's a very short clip, just a few minutes long in the film. Also just wanted to add some info on my reservation. The cost is 900 pesos per person which includes lodging, tours (to various cultural sites) and two meals (your choice of which one usually includes breakfast). My reservation for 4 people required a 1000 peso deposit (I paid via PayPal). The cabin is 30km off of the Mex 1 highway in Catavina. I was given instructions to meet at a restaurant, La Enramada. They are allowing me to bring my dog. Communication via FB messenger was almost live, real time. They are very responsive via the FB page "Geoturismo La Bocana".

David K - 3-11-2020 at 09:45 AM

Thanks for the added details... Yes, I too was pleasantly surprised that they showed so much of La Bocana and the oasis there, in the film, last night. :light: