BajaNomad

East Cape Exploration

Argentino - 1-9-2017 at 02:09 PM

My wife and I will be renting a little place in Zacatitos on the east cape road in late May. Looking for tips on places to go that aren't the typical Cabo stuff. We don't care for the crowds and bar scene, we are more into tidepooling, snorkeling, beachcombing, exploring, etc. We drove from Utah to BOLA when she was 6 months pregnant with our first, if that gives you any indication of what we are like. Best vacation of our lives btw. Stayed in a palapa on the beach at Archelon for a week and ate crabs, fish, and ramen noodles.

If anyone has any tips on unique, less known places to explore in the east cape area, it would be awesome!

David K - 1-9-2017 at 02:29 PM

The Bat Cave of Santiago comes to mind!
Read about it here: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/the_bat_...

bajarich - 1-9-2017 at 11:37 PM

Great buffet on Saturdays at Tito's Bar in Cabo Pulmo!

tiotomasbcs - 1-10-2017 at 05:01 AM

Cabo Pulmo , Santiago, Bahia Los Muertos. Keep us informed of any discoveries, por favor. Tio

BajaBlanca - 1-10-2017 at 09:04 AM

Santiago has a wonderful pool/waterfall (take a picnic with you) called Sol de Mayo.

On Fridays everyone goes for chile rellenos at restaurant in Los Barrilles that I have to think on to remember the name. But you can ask anyone, and be sure and get there early because they run out!

El Jefe - 1-11-2017 at 09:49 AM

After the pavement ends the East Cape road it a jewel all the way out to Cabo Pulmo. There are numerous empty beaches with easy access to explore to your heart's delight. Pack an umbrella.

Don't miss Los Arbolitos between Los Frailes and Cabo Pulmo for snorkeling. It is far enough up around the corner to be out of the surf zone to make it nice and calm. Take the little hike over the hill to the right to a little protected bay. Beautiful. Pack a lunch. They charge a small entry fee at the gate out by the road. Well worth it.

You will enjoy Zac's Restaurant. The only place in Zacatitos to get a meal out, it hosts a worthy melange of mellow ex-pat regulars.

Udo - 1-11-2017 at 12:45 PM

At the north east end of La Paz, is Tecolote beach. Follow the road by the malecón to the east until it dead ends.

On the beach there are several palapa stands.

They generally have several tours to Isla Espiritu Santo. They include a snorkel trip to the rocks at the end of the island where you will get to snorkel with the local sea life. Then, afterward, they take you to a picnic on one of the islands sandy beaches. It is all included in the price of around $20.00 USD last time we went 3 years ago.

BooJumMan - 1-12-2017 at 12:29 PM

I hadn't been down there in quite a while, but recently visited the area. I wasn't that impressed with the amount of private property fences blocking you from the beach. I actually felt a little trapped. Snorkeled at Los Arbolitos and it was really nice. Tried for a while to find a place to camp or stay for the night but that proved to be too difficult and drove all the way up to Buena Vista. I thought Los Frailes was just weird... Lots of random campers in the arroyo but not near the beach. Cabo Pulmo was too busy for me as well. It was kind of alarming to see what it had turned into. Probably should have stayed and explored but I bailed instead.