BajaNomad

Otay Mesa FMM office

GATO - 1-9-2017 at 03:55 PM

Can someone please tell me where the FMM office is located when driving across the Otay Mesa crossing? How far from the actual crossing? Please be specific so I don't miss it. Picture of a map would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bajaguy - 1-9-2017 at 03:58 PM

Go through the "To Declare" lane, as you pass by the building on your right, look to your right. The office is there.....pull ahead and park in the spaces and tell them you are getting the FMM. Pretty easy

David K - 1-9-2017 at 06:29 PM

Also, it is called (and signed) INM

GATO - 1-9-2017 at 08:44 PM

Got it. Thanks! Probably going to Baja next week. Looking for a back up just in San Ysidro is closed due to all the protest.

Seperate question, if by chance there are no one at the INM office at the border is there somewhere in Ensenada to get a FMM pass? I saw some stories where people showed up to the border with no officials, go figure.

bajaguy - 1-9-2017 at 08:59 PM

There are two locations in Ensenada for the FMM IF San Ysidro or Otay are closed

Quote: Originally posted by GATO  
Got it. Thanks! Probably going to Baja next week. Looking for a back up just in San Ysidro is closed due to all the protest.

Seperate question, if by chance there are no one at the INM office at the border is there somewhere in Ensenada to get a FMM pass? I saw some stories where people showed up to the border with no officials, go figure.

Bajazly - 1-9-2017 at 11:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
There are two locations in Ensenada for the FMM IF San Ysidro or Otay are closed

I know the office at the north end of the port right as you come into town, kind of across the street from Anthonys, but where is the other place?

GATO - 1-9-2017 at 11:51 PM

Does anybody know the locations where too get the FMM permits in Ensenada? Address or cross streets would be great! Thanks!

David K - 1-10-2017 at 09:18 AM

Just to repeat something said by Mexican border officials and posted here in the past couple of years: AUTO/BUS TRAVELERS MUST GET YOUR TOURIST CARD (FMM) AT THE BORDER. The INM office is open any hour the border is open. To be south of the border without an FMM is to be in violation of the law and subject to a fine. [in the past, that has been US$100]

The Ensenada office issues FMMs for people arriving from the sea.

bajaguy - 1-10-2017 at 09:24 AM

David....he was wanting to know where he could get an FMM if the border offices were closed (as had been reported) due to protesters as has happened at San Ysidro. And, as a fact, Ensenada INM has issued FMM's in the past to individuals who have not arrived 'from the sea"

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Just to repeat something said by Mexican border officials and posted here in the past couple of years: AUTO/BUS TRAVELERS MUST GET YOUR TOURIST CARD (FMM) AT THE BORDER. The INM office is open any hour the border is open. To be south of the border without an FMM is to be in violation of the law and subject to a fine. [in the past, that has been US$100]

The Ensenada office issues FMMs for people arriving from the sea.

David K - 1-10-2017 at 09:40 AM

Yes, I know... as I said, just repeating what had been said here in the past. If the border is closed, so is INM... Nice that Ensenada will issue them to people there illegally (in their thinking). For a few years, the Ensenada office gave a hard time and an extra fee for those who skipped the border INM office stop.

bajaguy - 1-10-2017 at 09:47 AM

And if the border INM offices are closed for some reason this makes people illegal???....seems to me the INM in Ensenada is taking care of business

If they fail to get the FMM at the border when the INM office is open, they should be fined.....or sent back to the border

Yes, I know... as I said, just repeating what had been said here in the past. If the border is closed, so is INM... Nice that Ensenada will issue them to people there illegally (in their thinking). For a few years, the Ensenada office gave a hard time and an extra fee for those who skipped the border INM office stop.

GATO - 1-10-2017 at 10:23 AM

Yes, there were reports in the news that over the weekend the SY border was taken over by protestors. No officials around so you could go thru but sounded like the INM office was closed (therefore no FMM permit possible). So at that point you can't back track to the US. Wanted a contingency plan just in case, hence the Ensenada question. Sorry for the confusion.

David K - 1-10-2017 at 10:27 AM

Yes, of course! Good for you for trying to follow the rules. I have not been checked for an FMM by anyone since 2009 (at the state border, Paralelo 28).

lineman bill - 1-10-2017 at 10:27 AM

My understanding from Shawna @ Vagabundos " If you're FMM card is not stamped, you insurance is not in force". Therefore no coverage while traveling to Ensenada from boarder.
Can anybody weigh in with different info???????

bajaguy - 1-10-2017 at 10:29 AM

No confusion, Cat. Sounds like you have a good plan. Enjoy your trip

Yes, there were reports in the news that over the weekend the SY border was taken over by protestors. No officials around so you could go thru but sounded like the INM office was closed (therefore no FMM permit possible). So at that point you can't back track to the US. Wanted a contingency plan just in case, hence the Ensenada question. Sorry for the confusion.

David K - 1-10-2017 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lineman bill  
My understanding from Shawna @ Vagabundos " If you're FMM card is not stamped, you insurance is not in force". Therefore no coverage while traveling to Ensenada from boarder.
Can anybody weigh in with different info???????

Baja Bound's Geoff (Baja Geoff here) said there is no condition that you would be denied coverage based on having a tourist card or not. Time to change agencies, perhaps?
Discover Baja Travel Club also uses the same companies as Baja Bound does.

[Edited on 1-10-2017 by David K]

GATO - 1-10-2017 at 11:53 AM

David K, that was my main concern. Being checked at the crossing into Guerrero Negro. Everywhere else the chance is nil (maybe if you get pulled over). So sounds like they hardly check for you FMM going into GN. Correct?

sancho - 1-10-2017 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lineman bill  
My understanding from Shawna @ Vagabundos " If you're FMM card is not stamped, you insurance is not in force".

I believe Bajabound once responded to that with 'it depends on
your Mex Ins Co.' Indicated the Mex Ins they represent would
not do that, deny one's Mex Ins policy due to lack of an fmm. Regardless, being asked for an fmm in an incident,
like a wreck, and a Hwy Cop, City Cop or other authority asking
for an fmm
and not producing one could open up a can of worms, this
constant BS, 'they don't check' for an fmm is not revelent to the requirement
of Immigration compliance.
this site: has a location of Ensenada Imm offices, on the list
under Govt., www.communitywalk.com/ensenadaandwinevalley

[Edited on 1-11-2017 by sancho]

David K - 1-10-2017 at 03:14 PM

David K, that was my main concern. Being checked at the crossing into Guerrero Negro. Everywhere else the chance is nil (maybe if you get pulled over). So sounds like they hardly check for you FMM going into GN. Correct?

I have crossed the state border at the Eagle Monument (near Guerrero Negro) multiple times.
Tourist cards were examined the first time in 2001 (and again in 2007 and 2009, always southbound only).
The officer just glanced out the door and waved us on from the stop sign at his office in 2012.
Nobody was there in 2015, either time crossing.
I may be going back to Sur in a few weeks and will report.

bajaguy - 1-10-2017 at 04:46 PM

Just wondering if it matters if someone checks the FMM or not??

David K - 1-10-2017 at 05:18 PM

Matters if you don't have one when they do check!

bajaguy - 1-10-2017 at 07:15 PM

Besides being the law, exactly!!

Matters if you don't have one when they do check!