BajaNomad

Have you read this book?

BajaBlanca - 1-14-2017 at 12:45 PM

I just finished reading THE SURVIVORS CLUB by Ben Sherwood.

Very, very interesting. Incredible stories. Some quite bizarre.

There was a test one could take to find out your survival score but it is not, unfortunately, available any more.

Please tell me what your take on the book is!

TMW - 1-14-2017 at 03:59 PM

I just purchased a CD copy to listen to on my next Baja trip. It'll be a month or so before I can tell you what I think about it. I personally believe survival is mostly a matter of being prepared and being lucky with being strong mentally a real plus.

AKgringo - 1-14-2017 at 06:31 PM

Quite a few years ago I read 'Ordeal by Hunger', an account of the Donner Party tragedy on their migration west. I don't recall the numbers, but the survial rate of the women was much higher than the men!

I guess it is nature's way of insuring a better out come for rebuilding the population of a species.

motoged - 1-14-2017 at 06:34 PM

The Donner Party...were more men than women canabalized?

Spearo - 1-14-2017 at 09:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
The Donner Party...were more men than women canabalized?

Verdad?

DanO - 1-15-2017 at 01:47 AM

There were 48 men and 32 women in the party. 28 men died and 8 women died.

BajaBlanca - 1-15-2017 at 09:29 AM

that sure is impressive (28 vs 8)

What I can tell you is that according to the survivor club book, yours truly is NOT going to survive a plane crash....were I ever in such a situation, at least now I can be a bit better prepared and hopefully beat those odds! Gone are the days of waltzing on and off an airplane, that's for sure.

toronja - 1-16-2017 at 11:41 AM

If you want to learn more about the Donner Party, "Desperate Passage" is a great book. In that time period, it makes sense that more men died. Men were expected to do the brunt of the physical and more dangerous labor (hunting, hauling, etc), which expends more resources. In addition, women's bodies have a few metabolic strategies for conserving fat (because it helps maintain fertility) that men don't have.

windgrrl - 1-16-2017 at 01:28 PM

No - but I just read and recommend "Deep Survival - Who lives, who dies and why."

Cheerio,
W

pauldavidmena - 1-16-2017 at 02:06 PM

Here is an interesting, skeptical review of the book from the Washington Post. To the OP's point, the website offering a "Survival IQ" test no longer exists. Given that I'm flying in just 4 days, I may have to leave it off of my reading list.

BajaBlanca - 1-17-2017 at 07:09 AM

boy, what a scathing review....I personally suggest reading the book before you fly! I thought the information was spot on. It is what it is.

I liked the words of the survivors, their messages, their inspiring philosophies of life. That is what I got out of the book!

pauldavidmena - 1-17-2017 at 07:54 AM

Some reviewers take pleasure in skewering their targets as a means of entertainment, so I took this one with a grain of salt. For what it's worth, I'd still like to read the book and make up my own mind about it.

[Edited on 1-17-2017 by pauldavidmena]