BajaNomad

VEHICLE IMPORT PERMIT AT BORDER?"

Zigyphoto - 1-15-2017 at 06:55 PM

01/15: 1I'm crossing into Mexico at San Luis, AZ on 25 or 26 Jan.

Since their website says it takes 10 days to have the form mailed to me and I am flying to Phoenix on 25th, can I fill out the form online and simply pick up the permit at the border?"

Or do I have to do the entire thing there, taking -- I assume -- quite some time?

Thanks,

Z

DENNIS - 1-15-2017 at 07:07 PM

Used to be "one stop shopping" for vehicle permit in Sonoita....200 km from San luis.

JZ - 1-15-2017 at 07:18 PM

Very doubt you can start it online. If you go at a good time and there is no one in line it takes about 15mins. Have your Visa ready and copies of all your docs.

Why do you think you need an import permit? Where are you going and what are you taking?

Zigyphoto - 1-15-2017 at 09:04 PM

Very doubt you can start it online. If you go at a good time and there is no one in line it takes about 15mins. Have your Visa ready and copies of all your docs.

Thanks for that...

Why do you think you need an import permit? Where are you going and what are you taking?

BMW motorcycle and riding down to Guatemala thru Mexico from Mazatlan.

z

kiterkip - 1-16-2017 at 06:11 AM

Just get your vehicle permit at the ferry terminal at La Paz before boarding the vessel. I've done this every year for 6 years. Quick and easy 15 minutes. You must have copies of: Title, Registration, Passport.

DENNIS - 1-16-2017 at 07:32 AM

Good question, JZ.

Are you sure you want to "import" the vehicle?

Zigyphoto - 1-16-2017 at 08:21 AM

Should have been writing "temporary import."

Zigyphoto - 1-16-2017 at 08:54 AM

OK, one more to resolve above questions:

Since I'm taking my motorcycle on the ferry from LaPaz to Mazatlan, I can purchase my "temporary vehicle import" papers at the ferry terminal in La Paz, is that correct?

Seems a lot easier than hassling at the border when I need to make some miles.

z

David K - 1-16-2017 at 09:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Zigyphoto  
OK, one more to resolve above questions:

Since I'm taking my motorcycle on the ferry from LaPaz to Mazatlan, I can purchase my "temporary vehicle import" papers at the ferry terminal in La Paz, is that correct?

Seems a lot easier than hassling at the border when I need to make some miles.

z

There is (or used to be) INM offices at the ferry terminal or nearby, for your paperwork. Just make sure you have an unexpired passport (for the duration of your time out of America) and legal registration (ownership?) papers for your vehicles.

wilderone - 1-16-2017 at 09:38 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was a "deposit" that was run on your credit card (held, but not charged) that was returned to you when you turned in the temporary permit AT THE SAME OFFICE THAT ISSUED IT. I've done this twice many years ago, before the process was technologically advanced. Do you still need to turn in the temporary import permit when leaving Mexico or forfeit the deposit?

JZ - 1-16-2017 at 03:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was a "deposit" that was run on your credit card (held, but not charged) that was returned to you when you turned in the temporary permit AT THE SAME OFFICE THAT ISSUED IT. I've done this twice many years ago, before the process was technologically advanced. Do you still need to turn in the temporary import permit when leaving Mexico or forfeit the deposit?

I've gotten about 7-8 temporary permits in the last 5 years taking my dirt bikes into Sonora. For 100% sure you do not need to turn it in at the same office. I've used 3-4 different ones.

You need to turn it in before it expires to get your deposit back.

Zigyphoto - 1-16-2017 at 06:32 PM

STILL NEED A CERTAIN RESPONSE, PLEASE:

ONE RESPONSE: There is (or used to be) INM offices at the ferry terminal or nearby, for your paperwork.

ANYONE ELSE?

JZ - 1-16-2017 at 06:55 PM

You get the permit at Banjercito offices. I just looked at Google Maps and there is a Banjcercito in La Paz so I would say yes, but can't confirm 100%. Call the ferry office to confirm unless someone answers here.

Zigyphoto - 1-16-2017 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
You get the permit at Banjercito offices. I just looked at Google Maps and there is a Banjcercito in La Paz so I would say yes, but can't confirm 100%. Call the ferry office to confirm unless someone answers here.

Thanks for that; will ask my La Paz ABnB contact.

z

Bajazly - 1-16-2017 at 09:22 PM

My friends left on the ferry out of La Paz 2 years ago and they got theirs there in La Paz and I'm pretty sure right at the ferry terminal. 6 Months later we did another trip and they got their deposit back, with 1 day to spare, at the Mexicali East crossing. If it lapses by just 1 day over 6 months, you don't get your deposit back