BajaNomad

Flights from TJ to La Paz/Loreto?

Whale-ista - 1-16-2017 at 05:20 PM

Does anyone know if there are flights from Tijuana to La Paz or Loreto, or has the San Jose del Cabo route absorbed all those travellers?

Thanks!

JZ - 1-16-2017 at 05:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Does anyone know if there are flights from Tijuana to La Paz or Loreto, or has the San Jose del Cabo route absorbed all those travellers?

Thanks!

Check on kayak.com. Three carriers fly TJ to La Paz. Doesn't look like there are flights to Loreto. Direct flights from LAX to Loreto though.

rogbag - 1-16-2017 at 06:42 PM

Volaris flies TJ to La Paz. Once per day, each way, as I recall.

Loretana - 1-16-2017 at 07:02 PM

Aero Calafia flies Tijuana - La Paz - Tijuana
as well as Tijuana - Loreto - Tijuana

www.calafiaairlines.com

danaeb - 1-16-2017 at 07:41 PM

Volaris #580, daily from TJ to LP. Usually leaves around 10:45am. 2 hour flight. Check often for great fares.

Whale-ista - 1-16-2017 at 07:46 PM

thanks. looks like under $200 on Volaris RT TJ/LaPaz.

danaeb - 1-16-2017 at 07:49 PM

You can get it much cheaper if you're not in a hurry. Create an account and you will get email notifications of special deals. I travel back and forth to La Paz frequently, and book in advance when I see the specials. Most of my trips are around $100-130 RT.

[Edited on 1-17-2017 by danaeb]

unbob - 1-20-2017 at 06:16 PM

I've never flown Volaris. I want to fly to TJ from LP only to obtain a new FMM - then fly back to LP asap.

However, on the Volaris web site there are two destination choices - 'San Diego (via cross border bridge)' or 'Tijuana'. Since I have to actually leave Mexico and re-enter to obtain FMM - I'm assuming I must fly to SD then somehow cross the border and then fly back to LP from the TJ airport. Sounds really, really complicated and impossible to do in a single day.

Has anyone here done this previously? If so, I would love to hear the details! Thx, Rob

JZ - 1-21-2017 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
I've never flown Volaris. I want to fly to TJ from LP only to obtain a new FMM - then fly back to LP asap.

However, on the Volaris web site there are two destination choices - 'San Diego (via cross border bridge)' or 'Tijuana'. Since I have to actually leave Mexico and re-enter to obtain FMM - I'm assuming I must fly to SD then somehow cross the border and then fly back to LP from the TJ airport. Sounds really, really complicated and impossible to do in a single day.

Has anyone here done this previously? If so, I would love to hear the details! Thx, Rob

Just make TJ your destination. Walk across the bridge to the US. It takes like 15mins. Walk back. You can pay to use the crossing when you buy the tickets.

[Edited on 1-22-2017 by JZ]

unbob - 1-21-2017 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Just make TJ your destination. Walk across the bridge to the US. It takes like 10mins. Walk back. You can pay to use the crossing when you buy the tickets.
Thx for the reply. However, I'm still confused. How do I get from the TJ airport to the bridge? Taxi? What is the distance from the TJ airport to the border crossing bridge?

And what exactly is the 'San Diego (via cross border bridge)' destination option - fly to TJ, take taxi to bridge, walk across bridge, take taxi to SD airport? Why would that be offered as a destination by Volaris? Can they fly to a US airport? All very confusing. Again, all I want is a new FMM!

[Edited on 1-22-2017 by unbob]

JZ - 1-21-2017 at 06:20 PM

The CBX bridge is right at the TJ airport connecting TJ to the US. You walk to it. It takes about 15mins or so to clear customs and walk across.

https://www.crossborderxpress.com/tickets

I have no idea of what the Volaris SD option is. What's the price difference? Maybe it is just building in the price to walk across the bridge or providing a shuttle to the SD airport?

unbob - 1-22-2017 at 04:47 PM

The CBX bridge is right at the TJ airport connecting TJ to the US. You walk to it. It takes about 15mins or so to clear customs and walk across.

I have no idea of what the Volaris SD option is. What's the price difference? Maybe it is just building in the price to walk across the bridge or providing a shuttle to the SD airport?
Thx! Very informative. I'm assuming the Volaris "SD option" simply includes the cost of CBX when purchasing the flight ticket.

gallesram - 1-23-2017 at 06:00 PM

Thx! Very informative. I'm assuming the Volaris "SD option" simply includes the cost of CBX when purchasing the flight ticket.

You are correct; it just includes the cost of the bridge. I just used the bridge yesterday; very simple. But if your plan is to cross from the US to TJ and then fly to La Paz, you will need to purchase your tourist visa since they will ask for it when you walk across the bridge into Mexico. Once you enter the country, you go through the usual immigration and customs (push the button for the "green light" or "red light").

You don't need to purchase the bridge fare on Volaris; you can buy it yourself when you get to the bridge entrance. Personally, I like having flexibility so I wouldn't buy it on the Volaris site; but I would purchase a roundtrip ticket at the bridge entrance (it's like a large terminal) since the lines to purchase a ticket back into the US on the TJ side can be long (just several minutes, not hours). You avoid that if you buy a roundtrip ticket; and it's cheaper than 2 one-way tickets.

The bridge is awesome; it's like there are 2 terminals for the TJ airport: one in California and one in TJ. We have used it many times and we love it.

You need to show your boarding pass for your outbound TJ flight when you buy your ticket for the bridge; don't forget that. And likewise you need to show your boarding pass from your return flight to TJ to use the bridge back to the USA (I usually toss mine once I board a flight home; don't do that!).

Volaris always has sales; and they can be huge. If you don't apply a "promo code" when you book your reservation, you won't get the discount (unlike the US, where you automatically get the best fare online); so hunt around on the site for the words "using a promo code?" and then click on it; you'll see the promos for that day. Click on the promo that applies to you and you'll get the discount for your reservation. We just flew from TJ to Mexico City for $39 one way on Volaris; our promo code gave us 75% off!

JZ - 1-23-2017 at 07:43 PM

Great advice. I always look for the promo code too.

How long does it take you to clear customs usually? Last time for us there was only one person in line ahead of us.

Alm - 1-23-2017 at 09:10 PM

However, on the Volaris web site there are two destination choices - 'San Diego (via cross border bridge)' or 'Tijuana'.

They don't fly to SD. Strictly TIJ. You walk across the bridge - and maybe they shuttle you to SD downtown then, included in the cost. They have such a shuttle van for TIJ passengers, inbound and outbound.

unbob - 1-24-2017 at 08:21 AM

Gracias to all who replied! Hopefully informative for future readers as well!

gallesram - 1-24-2017 at 11:33 AM

Great advice. I always look for the promo code too.

How long does it take you to clear customs usually? Last time for us there was only one person in line ahead of us.

Same here; on Sunday there were 3 people ahead of us. I have never waited more than 2 minutes. Since it's only limited to people who are flying in there is a limited population of users. I guess as the TJ airport adds flights the wait time could increase; but on Sunday there were 8 agents which was a good thing!