BajaNomad

travel best bet El Centro CA to La Paz

white whale - 1-20-2017 at 12:55 PM

Maybe this year....... if you had the earliest safe AM start possible and made La Paz the end destination as fast as possible ( save the sightseeing stops for the return trip) what route and overnight stop would you suggest?
And would 2 daylight days be a safe bet to reach LP?

Calendar time not yet determined.

BajaUtah - 1-20-2017 at 01:08 PM

I've done San Felipe to Los Barriles in 1 day. 5am to 10pm on June 20th (summer solstice) but it was a tough haul.

My usual stop for 2 days drive is Guererro Negro from Blythe and then on to Los Barriles. (2) 12hour days are pretty easy. But there is no sight seeing. Just a different mentality of traveling - being there vs the journey. Everybody does it differently.

Bajazly - 1-20-2017 at 01:17 PM

What are you driving/towing?

white whale - 1-20-2017 at 02:57 PM

no tow, just a car.

Spearo - 1-20-2017 at 03:04 PM

I drive from socal through San Felipe to Vizcaino and spend the night. Next day is Viz to Todos Santos. Two long days, no high speed stuff and just stop for meals and fuel.

David K - 1-20-2017 at 05:46 PM

Winter days are short, and you lose an hour (on your clock) when you cross into Baja Sur. Why the rush... enjoy. I suggest San Ignacio (it is the halfway point on the peninsula drive) and stay at Hotel La Huerta, just past the mission/ plaza... on the right... or one of many other choices: Ignacio Springs, Desert Inn, Ricardo's, ???

Alm - 1-21-2017 at 01:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  
if you had the earliest safe AM start possible and made La Paz the end destination as fast as possible

Commercial flight from LAX or TIJ. You can bet everything you have that this will be the fastest. OTH, if you want to see something...

BajaBlanca - 1-21-2017 at 06:41 AM

It can be done.

first day to guerrero negro. stay at the Terra Sal Hotel.

second day to la paz.

it really helps if you pack food - water. it is even better if you can trade off driving.

it is a grueling drive but it can be done.

PaulW - 1-21-2017 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Winter days are short, and you lose an hour (on your clock) when you cross into Baja Sur. Why the rush... enjoy. I suggest San Ignacio (it is the halfway point on the peninsula drive) and stay at Hotel La Huerta, just past the mission/ plaza... on the right... or one of many other choices: Ignacio Springs, Desert Inn, Ricardo's, ???

=== ======
I a pinch with nothing else available we stayed at Ricardo's. (Rice & Beans) - not pleasant. Ig Springs is mos pleasant.

kiterkip - 1-23-2017 at 06:08 AM

I've done this on or about the shortest day of the year. With each day you are going to drive an hour or more in the dark, no matter how you hurry. My best night driving plan is to join up with other cars or trucks and tailgate on them. Let someone else run the risk of a big black cow blocking the road.
The biggest "hazard" for me is my drive through Ciudad Constitution. This cannot be rushed. Drive uber slow 15mph, stop at every intersection, keep calm. In the past I've been pulled over by less than honest traffic cops in CC and lost my temper partly from my fatigue. By the time I reach CC I'm on my 4th, 12 hour driving day from Seattle WA.

[Edited on 1-23-2017 by kiterkip]

honda tom - 1-23-2017 at 09:43 AM

el centro to san Ignacio. it should still be light out if you get an early start. At San Ignacio if enough light, continue to santa rosalia (another 45 minutes).