BajaNomad

Max. ATM withdrawals in Baja

BajaVida - 1-22-2017 at 11:34 AM

Headed down to Bahia de los Angeles next month. With the drop in the peso, what is the largest amount of pesos one can withdraw from an ATM in Ensenada or Maneadero?
I seem to recall that some banks allowed larger withdrawals than others. Anyone know which ones?
Gracias

AKgringo - 1-22-2017 at 11:48 AM

On my last visit (mid Dec to mid Nov) it varied greatly from community to community, and from day to day. In Mulege and Loreto the max was 2000 pesos, or none at all!

My best results were using an ATM at Walmart, which allowed 8000 pesos. HSBC gave me the best results, Bancomer the worst! The fees for drawing 8000 appeared to be the same as 2000.

motoged - 1-22-2017 at 11:58 AM

Bancomer is the bank that seems to have the most difficulty with withdrawals from debit cards....Banamex works for me all the times I have tried from Mulege up to Guerrero Negro.

The amount able to be withdrawn seems to be related to your home bank's daily withdrawal limit....several withdrawals from 2000-4000 MP appears to tap out my daily limit....next day can be repeated.

AKgringo - 1-22-2017 at 12:17 PM

Another thing I liked about the La Paz Walmart, was that there were two ATMs side by side (HSBC and Banamex). With debit cards from two different banks, I would have been able to withdraw quite a bit of cash if needed, at a location that is fairly secure.

rts551 - 1-22-2017 at 12:24 PM

The bancomer in Vizcaino let me take out 9000 pesos last month. The max limit will also depend on your card daily limit.

JZ - 1-22-2017 at 12:43 PM

Every machine will be different, Banamex seems to allow bigger withdraws. I've taken 15,000 pesos out at Banamex in a single transaction. 30,000 with two withdraws. Not sure the exact limitation of a single withdraw. My cards have a $2,000 daily limit at Wells Fargo. The default was $300, but just called the bank and they increased it.

Tell your bank ahead of time that you are traveling to Mexico, otherwise they will likely put a block on your card if you do multiple ATM withdraws and you be screwing around to call them then.

[Edited on 1-23-2017 by JZ]

thebajarunner - 1-22-2017 at 02:08 PM

Do the Wal Mart and the Costco have ATM's in Ensenada?
Also, the bank in the turn going into Maneadero has always been reliable
I believe it is Bancomer
Any late word on Ensenada area ATMs

And, we are going to Guerrero Negro mid trip
Banks there with ATM???

woody with a view - 1-22-2017 at 02:12 PM

Banks there with ATM???

one bank way in back of town.

bajaguy - 1-22-2017 at 02:25 PM

Ensenada Wal-Mart and Costco both have ATM's

Also about 5 banks in the Wal-Mart MicroPlaza shopping center, all have ATMs

Several ATMs in the Commercial Mexicana supermarket across the street from Costco

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
I believe it is Bancomer

Banks there with ATM???

thebajarunner - 1-22-2017 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Ensenada Wal-Mart and Costco both have ATM's

Also about 5 banks in the Wal-Mart MicroPlaza shopping center, all have ATMs

Several ATMs in the Commercial Mexicana supermarket across the street from Costco

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
I believe it is Bancomer

Banks there with ATM???

Tip on the WalMart plaza banks was very helpful
We used to trek over to 5th street and downtown to chase banks

Still looking for GN info
Do they have a bank (s) with ATM?

bajaguy - 1-22-2017 at 03:15 PM

GN has a bank at the far end of town on the main street, I think it's a Banamex, they have ATM's. The PEMEX as you come into town past the Cowboy motel on your left also has/had an ATM, don't know which bank

thebajarunner - 1-22-2017 at 03:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
GN has a bank at the far end of town on the main street, I think it's a Banamex, they have ATM's. The PEMEX as you come into town past the Cowboy motel on your left also has/had an ATM, don't know which bank

Good to know
We stayed a couple times at Cowboy in the past
Nice people
helpful in setting up whale trips
even got us an amazing tour of the salt works...

PaulW - 1-22-2017 at 04:20 PM

Bancomer has blocked ATM use for US debit cards since the 1st week if Jan. They told me they will not be revising their SW to allow US cards to work.
HSBC ATMs still work

Timo1 - 1-22-2017 at 04:36 PM

In GN the banamex at the far end has ATMs and gives us what we want....The ATM at the Pemex by Cowboys is Bancomer...no love there at all

aguachico - 1-22-2017 at 04:49 PM

I have found the max to be 10K when it was 15:1.

The best rates, unless you do not have to pay any ATM bank fee, has been at the casas de cambios in san ysidro. Be sure not to use the little one west of SY Blvd. If it doesn't say 'no commission' they are charging a commission and ripping off the uninformed. The best house is east of the exit two blocks. East safe parking and return to 805 south. Using the casa's enable you to get the denomination spread you need.

bowser - 1-24-2017 at 08:36 AM

The ATM at the Pemex in GN is NOT available. It was blown up! I'm not kidding. About a month ago. As of last week it still has the yellow crime scene tape around the booth.

The one at the West end of town was working but would only give me 2,000 pesos at a time. It let me do it 5 times, but I'm sure it cost me a bunch in fees.

Udo - 1-24-2017 at 01:26 PM

The only issues you need to be aware of is that if the ATM is running low on money, they will dispense funds but limit severely the amount withdrawn. One ATM from the same bank will limit you to 2000 Pesos (when it runs low) and another one next door in the same bank will dispense more.
Also, in some instances, the banks ATM may say that your bank declined your transaction, or would not authorize your transaction, when in fact they are out of money, or even perhaps they could not log on to your bank's ABA.