BajaNomad

Bahia Concepcion Kayak Rental

lizdh - 1-23-2017 at 06:19 AM

Hola! Where in Mulege or Bahia Concepcion can I rent a kayak for 2-3 days? Specifically, a tour or sea kayak, NOT a sit-on-top? I'd like to kayak along the bahia concepcion for a few days. Thank you lots! Any other tips on kayaking bahia concepcion are appreciated. Hablo espanol. <3

wilderone - 1-23-2017 at 08:53 AM

This would be a risky business for a local company. There is a company in La Paz (Mar & Adventuras) that rents, but I think they're sit-on-tops, and only rent if you're staying in the La Paz area, but includes the Islas Espiritu Santo. Their caveat: "The rental of our kayaks without guidance is a special service we offer to experienced kayakers only. We trust that if you are renting kayaks from us you are experienced in wilderness skills and the sport of sea kayaking and assume all responsibility for your actions as well as the equipment."
Understandable. And of course, there is all the kayak paraphernalia like pump, bailing sponge, PFD, paddle jacket, spray skirt, dry bags that would be desired as well.
So you could compromise and do a La Paz trip, bring your own - possibly renting in San Diego (offhand, don't know of a company), or make inquiries to borrow a kayak. BTW, if you learn of a company in the Mulege area with sea kayaks for rent, let us know - I'd be interested.

MulegeAL - 1-23-2017 at 09:12 AM

Go to south end of Burro beach, the end of the palapas running down the beach and ask there. Good luck, have fun, don't get caught out in the wind!

David K - 1-23-2017 at 09:45 AM

Playa Buenaventura could be the winner.

StuckSucks - 1-23-2017 at 02:15 PM

Here's a photo sphere I took at Buenaventura - you can see said kayaks. Give it a twirl.

bajabuddha - 1-23-2017 at 05:51 PM

As far as safety is concerned, once on the water keep one eye 'a la boca'.... to the north and the mouth of the bay. If you see a black line on the horizon you have about 15-20 minutes to get to a safe harbor; there's a 'northern' coming in. Shallow bay, nasty 3 - 4 foot chop that makes for nasty paddling. It's a serene bay, great island hopping, not too many 'secluded beaches' but still a great place to play.

If you cross the bay to the east side you'll have fewer beaches, but nice camping above the rock-line of the shore, and more driftwood for fires. Just remember, if you get caught in a north wind, it's A SPANKIN'. I've seen it last for 13 days straight, so keep your wits about you, especially if it's your first venture there. Also, the fishin' is GREAT there..... the catchin', not so much, so take some beenz.