BajaNomad

Bringing down and off Road samurai

boe4fun - 1-24-2017 at 08:55 AM

Hola Nomads, I am thinking about purchasing a Suzuki samurai for use solely in Baja. Does anyone have any experience in bringing down an off-road vehicle on a flatbed trailer? The Suzuki would not be licensed by the state of California, but would be registered for off-road use in the state of California. The flatbed trailer would be licensed for use in California, but I would not be the registered owner of the trailer as I would have to borrow it from a friend. Does anyone see any problems in doing this? Thanks in advance, Paul Boe

hermosok123 - 1-24-2017 at 09:25 AM

I have on many occasions recently moved bikes down here with a trailer registered to another party (had paperwork) and the bike registered for off road use only. Found it helpful to literally have the paperwork in hand when the customs officer inspected. San Ysidro will not be where you cross if the trailer is longer than 20' was turned around and forced to cross at Otay as the "trailer was too long."

BajaUtah - 1-24-2017 at 09:27 AM

When I towed down my Ranger on a 14' trailer, Customs wanted to see title or registration on truck, trailer and Ranger. They also looked at my RT card. No questions were asked and only the ID numbers for the trailer and Ranger were looked at.

I can't tell you whether they paid enough attention to matching my name with the reg/titles as they were all in my name so it didn't become an issue.

This was Mexicali West last October.

Udo - 1-24-2017 at 09:33 AM

You should not have issues. Aduana would have no idea that the Samurai is for off road use only, and towing on a trailer is no different than bringing in an ORV.

I recommend crossing at Tecate for the least amount of hassle.

However, be careful with driving the Samurai on the Mexican roads. In some areas the cops are looking for unregistered vehicles and impounding them if not properly registered.

Doug/Vamonos - 1-24-2017 at 09:59 AM

A couple months ago I towed down a Suzuki Grand Vitara to be my Baja car. Behind my F-250 with a toad setup. They showed no interest whatsoever in the Suzuki or the load of stuff I fit inside it. I agree they just want to see registration if anything. For the Suzuki and your trailer.

AKgringo - 1-24-2017 at 10:11 AM

Along with the trailer paperwork, I would have a letter of permission from the registered owner, notarized and stamped. Many private mail facilities have notaries, and it is cheap insurance if you encounter a strict border agent.

Remember that the trailer needs to be on your auto insurance policy.

Doug/Vamonos - 1-24-2017 at 10:19 AM

I just read your post more carefully. I tow my brothers 16' flatbed trailer across the border regularly. They never have a problem, maybe because my bros name is on the registration. Mexicans seem to respect brothers and primo hermanos and all that stuff. I've also been known to scan registration docs and cut and paste my name on it. Works every time. :-)

motoged - 1-24-2017 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
....I've also been known to scan registration docs and cut and paste my name on it. Works every time. :-)

It seems you aren't the only one on this thread that acknowledges committing fraud regarding vehicles reg/insurance issues and acknowledging it on the internet ...

shari - 1-24-2017 at 11:29 AM

that will be cool for you to have here in Asuncion amigo...can i drive it?

Udo - 1-24-2017 at 01:19 PM

Cut and paste works well with everything I have tried it on so far.

Martyman - 1-24-2017 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
....I've also been known to scan registration docs and cut and paste my name on it. Works every time. :-)

It seems you aren't the only one on this thread that acknowledges committing fraud regarding vehicles reg/insurance issues and acknowledging it on the internet ...

Round up the usual suspects!

rts551 - 1-24-2017 at 04:23 PM

I had problems with copies of our registration for the jeep and the quads before. They wanted to see the originals.

boe4fun - 1-25-2017 at 10:00 AM

I would bring the original CA DMV paperwork with me so that shouldn't be a problem. Shari, of course you can. Me coche es su coche!

Pacifico - 1-25-2017 at 10:18 AM

Also make sure all of your VIN's are legible and can be found. They will check the VIN's against the registration paperwork. A lot of trailers are missing VIN's because many are on a sticker and not stamped into the metal. Don't count on the matching license plate numbers to get you through...it's all about the VIN's.

Doug/Vamonos - 1-25-2017 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Ha Ha. Go ahead and send Dudley Do-Right after me!

Fraud in Foreign Lands

MrBillM - 1-25-2017 at 06:49 PM

On a scale of 1 - 10 ......................

The preceding seems to be about .0001.

Having traveled and (later) lived in Baja since the early '60s, I (like most) have happily committed Fraud on a HUGE scale over those years relating to vehicles and goods imported. Fortunately, as scrutiny down south increased, technology kept pace. Allowing for document creation and alteration available to those of us capable of (prudently) taking advantage.

It's an old third-world truism that local authorities expect you to cheat given the opportunity and take no offense so long as they can take part and profit from the activity.

Balancing said acts out, I have also contributed (at times heavily) to the economic welfare of many downtrodden Mexican Law Enforcement and Civil Service personnel.