BajaNomad

Traveling safe but fun in Baha?

Barryvanc - 1-27-2017 at 07:14 PM

In the 90's I drove approximately 20 times from North to Southern Baja, exploring back roads to old missions, camping and fishing my way down past Todo Santos through Cabo and North through Cabo Pulmo and back up towards la Paz and never once expierenced even a small problem with the exception of flat tires and other mechanical related issues.
So after 20 years absent I'm leaving on Feb 1 with my wife and driving down through the North and South for 6 weeks.
My question is, lately I been reading some awfully scary stuff happening like kidnappings, carjacking, don't drive off the main road, and so many other warnings. I would like to be advised of traveling safely and of course keeping things in perspective. Reading the forums it appears there are no problems at all, as I have not read of any.
Also, before all I needed was a birth certificate entering Baja Sur. Now there is talk of the Fmm card and I'm not aware of what this is. Can I buy it at the border when I buy my Mexican insurance?
Any feedback would be so greatly appreciated and I thank you very much!

bajaguy - 1-27-2017 at 07:20 PM

Buy your Mexican car insurance from Bajabound, a supporter of this site (see banner above)

FMM is the Mexican "Tourist permit (for lack of a better word/description). Issued up to 180 days for about 500 pesos/$23US at Mexican Immigration office when you cross the border. This document is your legal authorization to be in the country.You will need a US passport or a US passport card to obtain the FMM

Barryvanc - 1-27-2017 at 07:32 PM

Thank you for explaining the FMM. I suppose I may expect to see many changes during my coming trip.

David K - 1-27-2017 at 07:35 PM

Hi Barry,
That is old media fake news about terror to Americans in Baja. We all are here because it is our place to be, either to vacation or to live!

The new deal, well about 10 years old now, is you MUST get a passport or the passport card (might as well get both) to get an FMM (tourist card) from Mexican Immigration (the INM office at the border).

Having the passport is also the preferred ID for U.S. officers to get you back home fastest.

You might enjoy my website www.vivabaja.com as the missions and other historic stuff down there is a major attraction for me, followed by the deserted beaches, dirt roads, cool people, and great food!

Barryvanc - 1-27-2017 at 08:11 PM

Yea, that's the Baja I remember! Probably the most beautiful place I ever been and I sure miss it. I'll definatly check out your website!
Thank you
Barry

BajaBlanca - 1-27-2017 at 08:13 PM

Stop by and visit us in La Bocana!

If you follow our often mentioned motto to NOT drive at night, you will be fine and have fun.

Nashville Frank - 1-28-2017 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Hi Barry,

You might enjoy my website www.vivabaja.com as the missions and other historic stuff down there is a major attraction for me, followed by the deserted beaches, dirt roads, cool people, and great food!

David,
Are you sure you want to put food in LAST place?

David K - 1-28-2017 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Nashville Frank  
Hi Barry,

David,

Too much of a good thing can be bad, right?

The land is the draw for me, the people and their food are great too, but not what brings me back over and over for 53 years!

1) Would you go to Baja if the food was bad?: YES
2) Would you go to Baja if the people were not cool?: YES
3) Would you go to Baja if there was nothing cool to see or do? NO

Lee - 1-28-2017 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Nashville Frank  
Hi Barry,

David,

Too much of a good thing can be bad, right?

The land is the draw for me, the people and their food are great too, but not what brings me back over and over for 53 years!

1) Would you go to Baja if the food was bad?: YES
2) Would you go to Baja if the people were not cool?: YES
3) Would you go to Baja if there was nothing cool to see or do? NO

This guy is doing a 6 week car trip. 6 weeks of bad food and uncool people would be a deal breaker for most people no matter how great the the mountains, desert or ocean looked. Unless you're bringing your own food and camping.

Here's an analogy of sorts. Todos Santos is called the magical town (by the government). Some visit Todos and don't get it. Others can't leave fast enough. Where's the perspective? It's in your head.

You need to know some Spanish for the route you've described.

Travel with awareness. You need a passport. Get MX insurance before crossing.

TMW - 1-28-2017 at 12:08 PM

I must say that there are a few great food/meals I have eaten in Baja that stand above most others. I think the filet Mignon at El Nido in San Felipe is among the best steak. The Shrimp Ceviche at the Solmar hotel in Cabo is the best I've ever eaten. There are several places I've eaten great Fish Veracruz Style.

I've also had some of the worst such as the hamburger at Rice and Beans in San Ignacio, the fries were good and the margarita much better.

bajaguy - 1-28-2017 at 12:20 PM

There are many, many great places to eat in the Tijuana/Ensenada area...you might want to give these a try

Steak:
Finca Altozano - Valle de Guadalupe
La Esperanza - Valle de Guadalupe
El Grill - Tijuana
Baja Brewing Company - Tijuana

Prime Rib:
Punta Morro - Ensenada

Seafood:
Muelle 3 - Ensenada
La Concheria - Ensenada

Sandwiches/Burgers:
Cerveceria Transpeninsular - Ensenada
Deli Loop - Ensenada

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I must say that there are a few great food/meals I have eaten in Baja that stand above most others. I think the filet Mignon at El Nido in San Felipe is among the best steak. The Shrimp Ceviche at the Solmar hotel in Cabo is the best I've ever eaten. There are several places I've eaten great Fish Veracruz Style.

I've also had some of the worst such as the hamburger at Rice and Beans in San Ignacio, the fries were good and the margarita much better.

Alm - 1-28-2017 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

This guy is doing a 6 week car trip. 6 weeks of bad food and uncool people would be a deal breaker for most people no matter how great the the mountains, desert or ocean looked. Unless you're bringing your own food and camping.

Bring your own food then. Being able to make a quick lunch will only make the trip more enjoyable. IMO, a no-brainer, more like a road necessity, same as 5 gallon bottle of purified water. Bringing your own camping gear is less essential, unless they prefer campgrounds to hotels (or the area leaves you no other choice). I think cool or uncool locals have little to no effect on how clean or comfortable is motel or campground.

Alm - 1-28-2017 at 12:54 PM

About Todos Santos and "pueblos magicos" - it has nothing to do with person's perspective or state of mind. A while ago I've browsed through pretty long list of pueblos magicos - and have been to some of them. Nothing magical to most of them, often nothing to look at, some are not even pueblos, being abandoned by locals with only museum or some ruins left. One of those Mex govt "roads to nowhere", attempts to do something that they have no clear idea of, with the results ranging from no change to something pathetic. I hope they didn't actually do anything to TS after they've designated it a pueblo magico :)

TMW - 1-28-2017 at 07:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
There are many, many great places to eat in the Tijuana/Ensenada area...you might want to give these a try

Steak:
Finca Altozano - Valle de Guadalupe
La Esperanza - Valle de Guadalupe
El Grill - Tijuana

Prime Rib:
Punta Morro - Ensenada

Seafood:
Muelle 3 - Ensenada
La Concheria - Ensenada

Sandwiches/Burgers:
Cerveceria Transpeninsular - Ensenada
Deli Loop - Ensenada

I'll have to try those places, thanks. I love sea food more than anything.

Lee - 1-28-2017 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
About Todos Santos and "pueblos magicos" - it has nothing to do with person's perspective or state of mind. A while ago I've browsed through pretty long list of pueblos magicos - :)

Don't know anything about magical pueblos except Todos. Tour buses bring tourists in droves from Cabo to experience the magic. Charming, artsy town referred to as Santa Fe of Baja, and Malibu of Baja. All marketing nonsense.

Some experience the charm and slower lifestyle, many talented artists have galleries -- Michael Cope, Jill Logan, Catherine Wall. Some come and see the magic, like I wrote, others can't wait to get out of town.

That's perspective. And you see what you want to see. And everyone sees it differently.

Another El Pescadero sunset

Barryvanc - 1-29-2017 at 09:51 AM

Thanks to everyone's responses to my original questions after being absent for so long, I'm getting a pretty clear picture of what to expect. Like the palapa's on the cove of Puertecitos when it used to be vacant, and God knows what other changes were made. But I hope in Todo Santos bus station they still make the killer fish taco's. The best I ever had. A great restauraunt in Guerro Negro served up a huge lobster tail dinner for only $20.00. Years back you would be able to snorkel in 12' of water and easily pick up a feast of clams and scallops. Then one year they were wiped clean. Even the pin clams on the rocks were gone. I sure hope they all came back again.

This neither here nor there, but I have a feeling Trump won't be in office for very long.

David K - 1-29-2017 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barryvanc  
Thanks to everyone's responses to my original questions after being absent for so long, I'm getting a pretty clear picture of what to expect. Like the palapa's on the cove of Puertecitos when it used to be vacant, and God knows what other changes were made. But I hope in Todo Santos bus station they still make the killer fish taco's. The best I ever had. A great restauraunt in Guerro Negro served up a huge lobster tail dinner for only $20.00. Years back you would be able to snorkel in 12' of water and easily pick up a feast of clams and scallops. Then one year they were wiped clean. Even the pin clams on the rocks were gone. I sure hope they all came back again.

This neither here nor there, but I have a feeling Trump won't be in office for very long.

Just like the conditions in Concepcion Bay, it will take time to fix the mess.
Enjoy Todos Santos , Guerrero Nego, and any other place you go back to.

Leo - 1-29-2017 at 11:56 AM

Hi Barry,
You got a lot of good advise. One thing not mentioned and is a BIG difference with 10 or 20 years ago. There are ATM's everywhere. Just only use the ones at banks and American big-stores. And the good news is: you get more pesos then ever before.
When in Todos, enjoy but don't eat at Hotel California. Awful food as they just can't handle the lunch crowds. Drinks are ok but pricey.
Have a great six weeks!

Barryvanc - 1-29-2017 at 07:25 PM

Thank you, Leo. I was planning on coming in from Mexicali to San Felipe, staying at a hotel somewhere there and striking conversations with the local Americans who live there and ask them about current road conditions, etc., but I heard the road is under repair and the detours take an extra 5 hours. If this were the case I'd come in at TJ and go to Ensenada and hit 5 over the mountain to SF. Do you know anything of the detours and road work?
Another question I have is that I'm assuming there will be wi fi at most hotels scattered throughout Baja. Is this true? The last time I was in Baja computers were almost unknown down there.
Thanks a lot!

David K - 1-29-2017 at 08:24 PM

Bad intel Barry... First off, most Americans who live in San Felipe rarely go too far south, at least often. They found their place to retire and are done exploring. Second, there are no long detours, just the current road, and an active highway construction zone, for 23 miles. Per mine and other's reports from the past 4 weeks: It takes 1-2 hours to drive the 23 miles depending if you are in a Tacoma or a motorhome.

Highway One has the detours as they are remaking the highway south of Santo Tomas and around San Vicente. A real mess in the rain, and lots of traffic plus all the towns and farm traffic... much longer that 23 dirt miles. It all depends on what motivates or scares you the most.

Just go whichever way and everything will work out in the end. Baja was once a land void of paved roads for 800 miles between the north and south portions! It is what made Baja famous, as much as the fishing or old missions...

bajaguy - 1-29-2017 at 08:35 PM

"Most" motels, many restaurants and internet cafes have wi-fi. Not a problem to stay connected

Nashville Frank - 1-29-2017 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Another El Pescadero sunset

Lee,
Fabulous photo! Sure would like to witness that in person.

Barryvanc - 1-30-2017 at 06:45 AM

Thanks again for the advice although I should have known for myself about the retiree's in SF but in the past I met some well traveled vacationers there and the road south.
I'm in a '17 Tacoma loaded up with camping gear and extra spare tires and my biggest burden is a bike rack with a few mtn bikes. I began traveling down there just shortly after they finished paving. One time they were doing repairs and we were forced to drive on fresh oil and made a mess of the truck but it's the fishing, missions, and beauty that calls me back.

Barryvanc - 1-30-2017 at 10:54 AM

Is there something going on in the Conception Bay area I should know about? Coyote, just south of Mulege has always been a favorite stop for me.
Thanks again!