BajaNomad

Driving off Pavement in a Rental Car

Gscott - 1-28-2017 at 01:54 PM

I just got back from Loreto and am planning a return trip. I am wanting to explore a little more this time, travel on the gravel road from north of Loreto west through La Purisima towards San Juanico and south to Ciudad Insurgentes.

Are rental car companies gonna have heart ache over this? I see a few that rent jeeps, Suzuki Jimni or Toyota pickups.

I'd really like to do a little more aggressive exploration, like from San Javier to the Comondus.

Are there any places that rent a 4x4 vehicle with this style driving in mind?

Gscott - 1-28-2017 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Gscott  
I'd really like to do a little more aggressive exploration, like from San Javier to the Comondus.

Are there any places that rent a 4x4 vehicle with this style driving in mind?

Rent a VW Bug, don't bang it up on the rocks, and have a carwash do a thorough cleanup before you take it back. :saint:

Where do I rent used cars in Loreto? That would be excellent!

StuckSucks - 1-28-2017 at 03:31 PM

All big rental companies have a presence at the airport. I've rented a car from Alamo - they have an office in the middle of town. Also, experience strongly recommends that you get all the insurance.

Others can chime in, but I've heard it's more expensive if you don't reserve online (vs just arriving at the airport).

AKgringo - 1-28-2017 at 03:57 PM

Reserving a specific make and model has never worked for me (and that is from Alamo). They will gladly take the reservation to lock in your business, but you will pick from what is on the lot the day you show up.

If you are lucky, they might have the ride you want, but the best I have ever gotten was an offer to upgrade to a bigger box than I wanted to drive!

Cancamo - 1-28-2017 at 08:15 PM

In the past, rental car insurance did not offer coverage off the pavement. Don't know about now. I recall off road incidents where damaged vehicles were towed to the pavement before being reporting.
Read the fine print.

del mar - 1-28-2017 at 08:33 PM

AMAZING the places you can put a Tsuru :lol: insurance is your friend

Beagle - 1-28-2017 at 08:43 PM

We rented a Jeep Wrangler from the Alamo at the Airport. Reserved a compact and let them talk me into the Jeep for not much more. Took it over the pass after San Javier. Lots of rock and dirt, river bed crossings. Then all around San Juanico. Was a blast. Didn't do the North Road into San Juanico though.

Gscott - 1-28-2017 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  
We rented a Jeep Wrangler from the Alamo at the Airport. Reserved a compact and let them talk me into the Jeep for not much more. Took it over the pass after San Javier. Lots of rock and dirt, river bed crossings. Then all around San Juanico. Was a blast. Didn't do the North Road into San Juanico though.

Thanks for trying to answer my question. Since you rented a jeep, did they ever mention anything about not taking it off pavement?

Gscott - 1-28-2017 at 09:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Reserving a specific make and model has never worked for me (and that is from Alamo). They will gladly take the reservation to lock in your business, but you will pick from what is on the lot the day you show up.

If you are lucky, they might have the ride you want, but the best I have ever gotten was an offer to upgrade to a bigger box than I wanted to drive!

I hear that. They did have Jeeps on the lot in town when I was there.

Beagle - 1-28-2017 at 09:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gscott  
Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  

Thanks for trying to answer my question. Since you rented a jeep, did they ever mention anything about not taking it off pavement?

As a matter of fact, the girl at the counter asked where I was headed. I told her San Juanico. She said there was lots of dirt and bad roads and maybe I would be interested in the Jeep. She talked me into it. That was my own experience and can't say that it will happen for everyone but that's how it all went down.

David K - 1-28-2017 at 09:54 PM

A Jeep is made for dirt roads!
Asking if you can drive a Jeep on dirt roads is akin to asking if a plane can fly in the sky.

BigBearRider - 1-29-2017 at 04:27 AM

I've always assumed they knew the car was going off road when I rented in Loreto. I've never gotten complaints when I've returned the car dirty.

Good trick about renting a cheap car and getting an inexpensive upgrade. The Jeep Wrangler is expensive to rent otherwise.

AKgringo - 1-29-2017 at 10:19 AM

I don't remember who posted it, but about a year and a half ago someone reported that they were going to rent a Wrangler. The front drive shaft had been removed to keep people from driving it too far off road!

Anyone know about that happening, or is it just a story?

Gscott - 2-3-2017 at 01:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
A Jeep is made for dirt roads!
Asking if you can drive a Jeep on dirt roads is akin to asking if a plane can fly in the sky.

Maybe it seems a silly question, there are less rules in Mexico it seems. I'm used to living in over-regulated Washington. I know when I rented cars in Hawaii the agreement specifically says no off pavement driving, and even some paved roads are prohibited. Breaking the agreement nulls the insurance. That's why I asked..

David K - 2-3-2017 at 08:41 AM

Enterprise in Kona had no dirt road restriction message that I saw. I knew other companies did.