BajaNomad

Removing concrete furniture

rhintransit - 2-1-2017 at 08:20 AM

Have a friend with the dreaded concrete built-in stuff. Bed and couch. Anyone have experience with removing the solid masses? Or does one just learn to live with it?

pacificobob - 2-1-2017 at 08:24 AM

chinese jack hammers are available online for under $150. they do an "ok" job of busting concrete. good luck

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02845A-Electric-Demolition-Prot...

Mexitron - 2-1-2017 at 11:58 AM

Probably no rebar, a large sledge might do it, especially if its not a solid mass of concrete--ie, built with block and not all the cores are filled.

Howard - 2-1-2017 at 12:08 PM

Sounds like a job for Manuel labor. If you would like someone trustworthy and not expensive, U2U me and I'll furnish you with a locals contact information.

I can't imagine it being to expensive. If someone does do it, make sure that the price includes hauling off all of the cement.

BigWooo - 2-2-2017 at 05:09 AM

The furniture most likely doesn't have any rebar and is block with filled cores. The cores of the block may even be partially filled with cement bags to take up space. It might not be as difficult as you imagine.

One suggestion though: I would take it out slowly with hand tools. Using a jack hammer can, and probably will cause cracks to form in the concrete floor/slab.

Santiago - 2-2-2017 at 06:54 AM

We had a bed frame and it came out muy facil. Only took SWMBO and hour to break it out with a sledge and wheel borrow it out.

mtgoat666 - 2-2-2017 at 07:20 AM

Hammer it out. But before you hammer, use a wet saw to score lines along edge of concrete you desire to save. Scoring lines prevents cracks from extending out of demo-d area

vandenberg - 2-2-2017 at 09:30 AM

I have seen them built with the block lain on its side instead of straight up, as to save on concrete.
Makes removal easy