BajaNomad

Telcel high data service?

unbob - 2-22-2017 at 10:20 AM

I've browsed the Telcel site but don't see what I'm looking for. I want at least 10gb data monthly for a reasonable cost. I'd be using either my smartphone or hotspot device - wired residential service is not an option for me (living in my RV).

Also, need voice/text service but data is the biggie for me.

TIA, Rob

unbob - 2-22-2017 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
I've browsed the Telcel site but don't see what I'm looking for.

Is it not on here?
Gracias! That should work for me. Very near what I'm paying now. Wished they had a 10gb plan at a little less per gb cost - but good enough!

Wonder if it includes tethering? I'm a laptop guy and tethering is a must have!

unbob - 2-23-2017 at 12:03 PM

Anyone tethering (laptop) on the Telcel data network?

monoloco - 3-6-2017 at 12:43 PM

Data depends on where you are at. Some areas have cell coverage but no data, if data is available, tethering is no problem. When data is unavailable, you will notice an "E" on the top of the screen where you would normally see a "3g" or "4g."

BigBearRider - 3-6-2017 at 02:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Data depends on where you are at. Some areas have cell coverage but no data, if data is available, tethering is no problem. When data is unavailable, you will notice an "E" on the top of the screen where you would normally see a "3g" or "4g."

It was my understanding that the "E" stood for "EDGE" and indicates that data is available. However, EDGE does not provide very good speed (or bandwidth) for data. It may be functionally equivalent to no data being available in parts of Baja.

pauldavidmena - 3-6-2017 at 03:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

It was my understanding that the "E" stood for "EDGE" and indicates that data is available. However, EDGE does not provide very good speed (or bandwidth) for data. It may be functionally equivalent to no data being available in parts of Baja.

"E" indeed stands for "EDGE", which represents pre-3G data technology circa 2003.

monoloco - 3-7-2017 at 05:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

"E" indeed stands for "EDGE", which represents pre-3G data technology circa 2003.
That explains a lot. I just know when I see that "E" there's no data available. There is a zone between Elias Calle and Cabo that is one of those data free zones, where I get the big "E."