BajaNomad

Doggone it, it's the 4th of July

SFandH - 7-4-2017 at 05:18 PM

Thought I would post this because the 4th is probably one of my least favorite days of the year. It is certainly my dogs' least favorite day.

For those who think it's fun to let off some firecrackers or whatever in your neighborhood, please remember that you are terrifying many dogs and causing much stress for their owners. In fact, after you consider this, it would be real cool if you decided to drown the fireworks in some water and bury them.

The San Diego animal shelter will be busy tomorrow rounding up lost dogs and there will be many dog owners deeply saddened because they let their frightened dogs get away.

I can certainly do without the rocket's red glare and the bombs bursting in the air..........

woof, woof

AKgringo - 7-4-2017 at 06:01 PM

Thanks for a timely warning! My old dog was terrified every 4th, new year's eve, and random thunder and lightning displays. I always tried to make sure she and the neighbors dog were able to huddle together with me during those events.

The dog I have now seems amused, or at least intensely curious about all the commotion!

SFandH - 7-4-2017 at 06:47 PM

You're lucky your current dog isn't bothered. Both of my dogs go crazy, absolutely terrified by the explosive noise, even little firecrackers and especially bottle rockets. After it's all over they seem to be really worn out, exhausted.

SFandH - 7-5-2017 at 06:40 AM

Well that was a few hours of intense terrified dog drama.

Happy 5th of July! :D

pacificobob - 7-5-2017 at 08:23 AM

a lot of veterans( the kind who saw war) react negatively too.

TMW - 7-5-2017 at 11:49 AM

I haven't set off fireworks since I was a teen. I do like to watch a good fireworks show. Last night the several neighbors had a good one.

A Better Day Yesterday

MrBillM - 7-5-2017 at 08:49 PM

With both Riverside and San Bernardino counties making it clear that they were intent on cracking down, it appears that reports were way down and, unlike previous years (including 2016), things were quiet around us.

honda tom - 7-5-2017 at 09:12 PM

Ive been a dog owner for 40+ years. bring dog inside and put on music. This is the 4th of July, more important to celebrate than for you to impose your wishes on others!

dog ownership requires the owner to handle the issue. not trying to be harsh..... but take care of your pet..... i did.

Responsibility means OBEYING a sensible LAW

MrBillM - 7-6-2017 at 07:22 AM

AND, as a responsible neighbor, do (as I have done) report neighborhood violations.

Which, thankfully, wasn't necessary THIS year.