BajaNomad

TIP?

Alm - 7-8-2017 at 09:49 PM

Found this interesting read:
http://www.mexicocaravan.com/permits/Vehicle-Imports-SAT.pdf

According to them, there is a TIP-free zone of Sonora Norte.
No "Baja" anywhere.

Note that this is not an official govt site, but a file uploaded to the "caravan" site.

David K - 7-9-2017 at 06:54 AM

The Sonora Free Zone has been around for years. The idea is to boost tourism (San Carlos, Pto PeƱasco, El Golfo) and allow easy access to the Santa Rosalia/Guaymas ferry to not need TIP going from Baja (no TIP in Baja) across to Sonora and then north, or the opposite direction.

Sonora Free Zone Map

Alm - 7-9-2017 at 09:31 AM

Your color map is much nicer than the grey one in the SAT file :).

However, my point was that the document doesn't mention Baja zone as an exclusion.

sancho - 7-9-2017 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

However, my point was that the document doesn't mention Baja zone as an exclusion.

Was a rumor, which was at least partially confirmed here
a few weeks back, that RV' s, at least motor homes into Baja,
now require a TIP. A post here by a motorhome driver crossing
at TJ was instructed to get the tip, something like $50 dlls
good for 10 yrs. But with everything else, probably subject
to implementation

David K - 7-9-2017 at 11:17 AM

Your color map is much nicer than the grey one in the SAT file :).

It looks (a quick scan of your file) like that is a Sonora-based document or one made for use in Sonora, as a reason of Baja not mentioned?

Alm - 7-9-2017 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

It looks (a quick scan of your file) like that is a Sonora-based document or one made for use in Sonora, as a reason of Baja not mentioned?

It's not mine, it's SAT, and the contacts at the end are all over the mainland Mexico. What made you conclude that this is something made for Sonora?

Sancho, - yes, they did ask TIP for motorhomes at San Ysidro few weeks ago, according to my sources too.

David K - 7-9-2017 at 02:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

It's not mine, it's SAT, and the contacts at the end are all over the mainland Mexico. What made you conclude that this is something made for Sonora?

Sancho, - yes, they did ask TIP for motorhomes at San Ysidro few weeks ago, according to my sources too.

Because only the state of Sonora is mentioned (again, in my fast look at the pages)...

JZ - 7-9-2017 at 07:46 PM

You need one if you bring dirt bikes or quads to Sonora, even the Northern part.

Need one for the boat too if you want to keep it in the marina.

aguachico - 7-9-2017 at 07:53 PM

I gotta TIP for my Grady. it's too easy for 10 years of hassle free insurance. I would get one for my truck if necessary, but it is not,.

remember when DF wanted to collect TIP fees for every foreign plated car entering the border? Then the local business's tries to say it would hurt the economy?

A bunch of border city cars are 'chocolates'. Expired plated US cars driving around without papers. I know Mexican officials that have chocolates for their kids. The mordida, $200 pesos, is better than pacas and seguros.

[Edited on 7-10-2017 by aguachico]