BajaNomad

Seeking northbound guidance through Mexicali

Alan - 9-22-2017 at 05:12 PM

I've seen several videos, maps and directions for the SY border crossing. I'm headed back north from La Paz in a couple weeks and plan to try the MX5 route. I'm excited to see how San Felipe has changed in the last 30 years but readily admit I'm a little apprehensive about finding my way to the correct border crossing at Mexicali. (I've heard S/B recommendations that seem to imply here is now more than one crossing)?

Anyway I haven't been to the northeast corner of Baja since my dirt bike and sandrail days nearly 30 years ago and would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

BooJumMan - 9-22-2017 at 06:23 PM

I personally like the east crossing.

Take a right on Venustiano Carranza off the 5. Take that north all the way to Calzada Cetys, where you take a right. Take Cetys to Calzada Alberto Rodriguez, where you hang a left... That takes you up towards the border, where you make a right into the crossing lanes. Sentri is on the west side of the regular lanes.

gps?

John M - 9-22-2017 at 06:23 PM

can you use a gps file? Or Google Earth file?

What gps, if so?

I've got directions to the Mexicali East border crossing. Once across it is something like 5 miles west to get to Calexico and Highway 111. I will keep looking and post it here.

I'm not certain of the street names, it may be the same as that posted by the first reply

John M

Attachment: Mexicali East crossing - northbound route.kml (2kB)
This file has been downloaded 241 times

[Edited on 9-23-2017 by John M]

jkruk - 9-22-2017 at 06:41 PM

We put holtville in as a destination in map and it directs you to the east crossing.

vandy - 9-22-2017 at 06:46 PM

I downloaded the Here WeGo app and Mexico map.
It works offline and uses your phone's GPS location.
Sure saves some wandering around construction zones, bad signage, festivals.

It took me a year to notice that it wasn't just a map showing my location, but could also be a turn-by-turn guide with or without audio. (I'm dumb to smart phones).
It re-computes a new route every time you make a wrong turn too.

Good map of Mexicali on the Mexico download.

David K - 9-23-2017 at 12:25 AM

Alan, the street you turn right on is 2 miles north of the Libramiento de Mexicali highway bridge (toll road to Tecate 2-D) that Hwy. 5 goes under, at Km. 8.
The route to Mexicali East is just north of the Km. 5 post and there is a Pemex station on the far side of the street you turn right on. It may be signed "garita" (border crossing).

John M shared his GPS track with me, as he offered to you. I always use the downtown border when I crossed at Mexicali except for a couple times, many years ago. Back then, I just drove straight north to the border fence, as if using the downtown (west) border, well one block before, to go east, as these are one-way streets. I didn't know the 'shortcut' or was comfortable with it, if it even existed back in 2003?

EDIT: Adding John M's Google Earth track:

OVERALL HIGH VIEW:

Now, three close-up views from south to north. Note the Kilometer 6 location. The street you turn on in ~0.8 mile north of Km. 6 (I did not see a Km. 5 marker, but if you do, then it is pretty close to 0.2 mile north of it, or about 1000 feet).

[Edited on 9-23-2017 by David K]

JZ - 9-23-2017 at 12:53 AM

Just went through Mexicali East in May.

The only tricky thing is when you turn right to the border (last turn) you want to be in the left side to go through the Ready lane (2 lanes on the turn). It goes 3x faster. It's not super obvious and you have to pay attention. Once you turn the corner if you are in the wrong lane you are screwed.

David K - 9-23-2017 at 01:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

The only tricky thing is when you turn right to the border (last turn) you want to be in the left side to go through the Ready lane (2 lanes on the turn). It goes 3x faster. It's not super obvious and you have to pay attention. Once you turn the corner if you are in the wrong lane you are screwed.

Great point! Left lane if you have the chip embedded passport book or equivalent.:light:

Alan - 9-23-2017 at 05:41 AM

After all these years on Nomad you folks have never let me down. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Of course now I also feel like an idiot! Google Maps, I swear by it in the states and even use it here in La Paz. It works awesome with my AT&T plan even here in Baja. Never even occurred to me to use it for directions to the border. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees :big grin: I must be getting brain dead.

Great tip about using Holtville. Thank you all. You put my mind at ease.

Alan - 9-23-2017 at 05:48 AM

One more thing. My wife and I both have the passport cards. The last time I walked across the border, my son and I stood in line patiently for about an hour but as I approached the window I saw a sign that showed my card was valid for the Ready line. Since my son only had his standard passport the point was moot but for this trip since we both have the cards I assume they qualify us for the Ready vehicle lanes?

David K - 9-23-2017 at 08:15 AM

The newest passports books (gee, close to 10 years now, I think) have a tiny camera pictured on the cover... that means it has the chip, just like the card.

rts551 - 9-23-2017 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Great point! Left lane if you have the chip embedded passport book or equivalent.:light:

Have you actually tried it?????

rts551 - 9-23-2017 at 09:05 AM

The newest passports books (gee, close to 10 years now, I think) have a tiny camera pictured on the cover... that means it has the chip, just like the card.

If you are suggesting that they work in the ready lanes in Mexicali I suggest you check first before giving out that info. I have repeatedly asked the question at the Border and they say NO! This was as of 3 months ago (last time).

David K - 9-23-2017 at 10:00 AM

As I said earlier, the last time I used Mexicali East was probably in 2003. The camera symbol means the chip is in there and a book is more $$ than a card, so not sure why it wouldn't work. I have both the card and book, but only use the book in Mexico as it gets stamped proving I got the tourist permit. Although the ink is so light, it is nearly impossible to read, lol.

DaliDali - 9-23-2017 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

If you are suggesting that they work in the ready lanes in Mexicali I suggest you check first before giving out that info. I have repeatedly asked the question at the Border and they say NO! This was as of 3 months ago (last time).

Did you pass into the ready lane with your book/card out, flashed it at the scanner, and when face to face with the officer, asked him/her if it's valid to use?..And then they told you no, and they let you pass without further ado?

No admonishment to never do that again at this crossing?

rts551 - 9-23-2017 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

Did you pass into the ready lane with your book/card out, flashed it at the scanner, and when face to face with the officer, asked him/her if it's valid to use?..And then they told you no, and they let you pass without further ado?

No admonishment to never do that again at this crossing?

Yes. first time. The scanner would not read the book. severely chastised.

since then, I have periodically asked. They said no and recommended I get SENTRI. Which I did this last month.

rts551 - 9-23-2017 at 10:55 AM

As I said earlier, the last time I used Mexicali East was probably in 2003. The camera symbol means the chip is in there and a book is more $$ than a card, so not sure why it wouldn't work. I have both the card and book, but only use the book in Mexico as it gets stamped proving I got the tourist permit. Although the ink is so light, it is nearly impossible to read, lol.

If you really did not know, and have not been there since 2003, why would you recommend it?

From the CBP web site which supports the answer they gave me.

"To use the Ready Lanes you will need a WHTI-compliant, RFID-enabled cards approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

These include: the U.S. Passport Card; the Enhanced Driver's License (EDL); the Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC); Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry and FAST cards); the new Enhanced Permanent Resident Card (PRC) or new Border Crossing Card (BCC). "

David K - 9-23-2017 at 03:01 PM

If you really did not know, and have not been there since 2003, why would you recommend it?

From the CBP web site which supports the answer they gave me.

"To use the Ready Lanes you will need a WHTI-compliant, RFID-enabled cards approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

These include: the U.S. Passport Card; the Enhanced Driver's License (EDL); the Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC); Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry and FAST cards); the new Enhanced Permanent Resident Card (PRC) or new Border Crossing Card (BCC). "

I only personally recommend Tecate to come north... I was providing John M's route to help the OP who was asking about how to get to Mexicali East.

rts551 - 9-23-2017 at 05:55 PM

HMMMM....do not do this if you have a passport BOOK. I tried it and got read the riot act and sent to secondary. Passport CARD works. Maybe they will change their readers one of these days...but then what would be the point of the ready lanes?

rts551 - 9-23-2017 at 05:58 PM

Also be carefull what you wish for. Currently normal lanes 80 minutes wait.....Ready lanes 90 minute wait ... (sentri 0 minute wait).

https://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/mobile.asp?action=n&pn=2503

willardguy - 9-23-2017 at 07:12 PM

but of course, you gotta have proof that you got a tourist permit! :no:

del mar - 9-24-2017 at 08:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

I carry a tourist permit as proof I have a passport! :lol:

[Edited on 9-24-2017 by del mar]

David K - 9-24-2017 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

Now that's funny!

PaulW - 9-24-2017 at 08:13 PM

Joking? No tourist permit required for traveling north thru the border. Tourist permit is for traveling south not north.What is required are passport card, passport book or drivers license for a US citizen.
So I put some notes on David's excellent map. Info you wont find until you drive that path.
After you make the right turn into the border area you end up in the no sentry/no ready lane. If you need to use those lanes then make your decision before the K rail blocks you from using one of the left lanes. Not sure if it is even possible?

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

Now that's funny!

Mex20East-1rrr.jpg - 199kB

rts551 - 9-25-2017 at 08:24 AM

For much or the time at Mexicali east, for the ready and sentri lanes you must enter from the west while the normal lanes you enter from the east. There will be a policeman there directing traffic.

PaulW - 9-25-2017 at 12:41 PM

I always use the normal lane when I travel with trailer, but it looked like one could still squeeze into the left lanes. If Alan wants to use sentry/ready then the west approach would be good.
Instead of turning right at the Aeropuerto turn just go straight and get in line for those two left lanes. This allows a better approach from the west.

BajaGlenn - 9-25-2017 at 04:58 PM

What?? No signs???

PaulW - 9-26-2017 at 07:16 AM

The signs that are there are not usually readable. Some are small. Mostly they are missing. Another example is the Aeropuerto road the David gave a map name and you will never see that sign.
Also no signs when entering from the west and do not use that entrance so I cannot help. one lane is fro sentry and the other is for ready.

AKgringo - 9-26-2017 at 11:01 AM

As a side note, do not rely on gps directions! I have used Garmin, and TomTom automotive units (I know, I'm a dinosaur) and have gotten totally screwed up trying to find the real lane to get to the crossing!

Even the latest updates have failed to show the latest diversions, dead ends and one way streets at Tecate or Mexicali.

I use them anyway just to announce the next cross street, but just because they say "Turn here", you still have to double check!

TMW - 9-26-2017 at 11:37 AM

If you trace the route that David K shows above on Google Earth you can convert it to a GPS file for down loading into your GPS. Most over the counter so to speak GPS software maps have problems you won't know about until it's to late.

A few years ago a lady and her son went to Death Valley from Vegas using their cars GPS only to end up on a sand road getting stuck and later were found dead. Why she went on a sand road instead of staying on the highway is beyond me, that should have been a red flag.

bkbend - 9-27-2017 at 09:16 AM

I've used that mapped route approaching Mexicali East from the east for years and was able to enter the Ready Lane until twice last year when police were assisting traffic from the west to make the left turn into Sentri or Ready lanes and traffic from the east had to use the normal lane. Both times the Sentri/Ready lanes were backed up to the street so I don't know if it's just something they do when it's busy or if it's now policy.

JZ - 9-27-2017 at 10:10 PM

Also be carefull what you wish for. Currently normal lanes 80 minutes wait.....Ready lanes 90 minute wait ... (sentri 0 minute wait).

https://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/mobile.asp?action=n&pn=2503

When I clicked your link it said 25mins for ready, 40 for normal.

I can tell you for sure it was twice as fast the last time I went through.

JZ - 9-27-2017 at 10:13 PM

For much or the time at Mexicali east, for the ready and sentri lanes you must enter from the west while the normal lanes you enter from the east. There will be a policeman there directing traffic.

Yes, this is tricky part if you haven't done it before.

Alan - 10-7-2017 at 08:33 AM

Yes, this is tricky part if you haven't done it before.

Thanks to all for the assist.

Spent the night at the Terrasal in GN (thank you Shari). Very clean and modern room for 550 Mx. I can't recommend the restaurant unfortunately. Do they even taste the dishes before they offer them on the menu? The other drawback was no in room coffee pot though the office offers coffee at 0645. Eager to get back on the road I went to the Pemex in town to top off my tank and grabbed a couple coffees there. Wife was showered and ready to go when I returned (it was the best shower we have ever found in Baja with real water pressure and hot).

Note to other Travelers: I was back on the road at 0500 and the Pemex station out on the hwy wasn't open yet. Thank goodness I had topped up in town.

Stopped and had coffee with Coco and he drew me a map to avoid most of the washboard headed north. Averaged 25-40 mph. Beware of the vados between Puertocitos and San Felipe. They don't look like much but some have a heck of a kicker to them. Think I was actually airborne twice!

San Felipe has definitely changed in the last 30 years but it was comforting to see change hasn't affected the Club Bar Miramar. It hasn't changed one little bit. Even has the same bartender and waiter! It was fun to take a short break from the drive and reminisce with them.

Getting through Mexicali was "almost" a piece of cake. Simply plugged Holtville into Google Maps and everything was going fine until my wife inadvertently touch the screen and we lost everything so I pulled over and had to re-enter it. Unfortunately at that point it brought me in from the east so I couldn't get to the Ready lanes!!! Once again though, Karma and living right paid off. I was stuck in the General admission lane which fed only one booth but when I got to the line of cars there were only 3 cars in front of me :lol::lol::lol:

When I got to the booth the officer must have been bored because we just sat there and chatted for at least 2 minutes.

David K - 10-7-2017 at 08:40 AM

All's well that ends well!
Thanks.

Curious about the "map" Coco drew...
It is only 9-10 miles from his place to the pavement and only one road, with the parallel tracks along the side of some of it (which are smoother to use, always).

Can you scan Coco's map for us? That would be fun to see!

Alan - 10-7-2017 at 08:58 AM

Sorry but he drew it on the bottom of a Pacifico box and I've already tossed it. Basically you simply turn left 150 meters from his driveway and follow that until it comes back into the main road. Nice smooth sand. Once you are back on the main road there is a parallel road on the left that has much less washboard.

PaulW - 10-7-2017 at 10:40 PM

"Can you scan Coco's map for us? That would be fun to see!"
==== ====
Here is the COCO sand road. I use it every time I go south.

COCO sand roadrr.jpg - 234kB

David K - 10-8-2017 at 08:49 AM

Great, thanks...
I have been through there many times this year but staying on the main road to record the mileage would have prevented me from trying out that route. I actually move along quite well using the parallel sand tracks along the side of the washboard roadbed.
The new highway will be open to traffic along there someday soon

wornout - 10-8-2017 at 11:55 AM

We visit Coco all the time, from San Felipe, and the last visit Coco said he will have to move (or build a place by the new highway) because the new highway will be miles west of his place along the mountain ridge.