BajaNomad

South Dakota Plates

Sr.vienes - 10-15-2017 at 06:57 AM

We have four Arizona plated vehicles in BCS and keep Mexican and Az insurance on them. They never go home and this is very expensive. We are planning to register them in SD and stop double paying for insurance, does anyone have any experience with problems from this recently?

willardguy - 10-15-2017 at 07:23 AM

no problemo here....

Alan - 10-15-2017 at 07:32 AM

Contact Clay County. Heard from someone that one of the other Counties was reluctant

mjs - 10-15-2017 at 08:18 AM

If they don't go to AZ then why the AZ insurance. Go online to the AZ DMV (https://servicearizona.com/deinsured?otherclick) and suspend the insurance requirement.

Howard - 10-15-2017 at 09:03 AM

Had no problem with Clay county approx. 2 months ago. Amazing how easy and efficient it is.

Pescador - 10-15-2017 at 09:34 AM

I have two trailers and two vehicles registered in Clay County, SD. I carry Colorado liability for the vehicle that goes to the US more frequently, but could probably buy temporary just as easy but my driver's license is from Colorado. I carry a Mexican liability policy on everything so that works well.

Sr.vienes - 10-15-2017 at 10:35 AM

You have to have insurance in Arizona to keep current plates and you have to have current plates on your car in BCS to drive around. So you need a state that does not have mandatory insurance such as SD.

DawnPatrol - 10-15-2017 at 11:57 AM

AZ is one of the states that matches the VIN on the registration with the AZ insurance.
They will not give you AZ plates without proof of AZ insurance
Alan

Sr.vienes - 10-15-2017 at 12:18 PM

3,000 people in Clay County, 43,037 license plates. That's what I call creative county level fiscal policy. I love these guys already😎

Lee - 10-15-2017 at 04:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sr.vienes  
We have four Arizona plated vehicles in BCS and keep Mexican and Az insurance on them. They never go home and this is very expensive. We are planning to register them in SD and stop double paying for insurance, does anyone have any experience with problems from this recently?

I have plates from S. Dakota, Clay county, State Farm insurance in Colorado. My MX insurance requires US insurance -- I get mine from Vagabondos -- and they ask for US insurance policy number and expiration date. Your results may vary.

Udo - 10-15-2017 at 08:20 PM

Take a look at: http://www.americas-mailbox.com

They are in Pennington County.
SD plate fees vary by county. Some have a wheel tax, some don't.

Udo - 10-15-2017 at 08:26 PM

BTW...

As far a Mexican insurance is concerned:

If you have multiple vehicles in Mexico (Baja), and only one of you drives, or you only drive one vehicle at a time, what is the sense of ensuring for liability all the vehicles.
Just get a liability only policy for yourself and wife. Make a copy of it and put one in each vehicle.
The driver's license only policy costs about $150.00 USD and it covers you and your wife. Is good for 12 months. All Mexican insurance carriers have it, you just have to ask for it.

Sr.vienes - 10-15-2017 at 08:34 PM

UDO: that sounds exactly like what we need and should save us a bunch of pesos. Thanks!!

BajaUtah - 10-15-2017 at 09:02 PM

Udo does it like we do. So Dakota plates on 2 vehicles, Mexican DL liability for my wife and I. I "turn on" US insurance for whatever period of time I have one or the other in the States.

Mind you I just run liability only on older vehicles. If they get badly damaged I can walk away and start over with another or I am in the country of mechanics that can bring the dead back to life.

wornout - 10-16-2017 at 07:32 AM

Have had SD plates for many years. Everything can be done online and with a phone call. Clay County requires a SS number and a USA mailing address. Other counties require a SD drivers license with requires a trip to SD and a SD mail service (these mail service places are the one who say one needs a SD drivers license).

bajatrailrider - 10-16-2017 at 07:45 AM

No problems with South Dakota plates on my truck and dirt bike. Liability on driver lic Mexico about 120 a year. No USA Ins needed for mex policy. If I drive to states can get Ins by the week.

Bruce R Leech - 10-16-2017 at 01:22 PM

why don't you import them to Mexico.

bajatrailrider - 10-16-2017 at 01:36 PM

Why would you want to do that, anyway there too old not allowed. My moto could be imported to Mexico. For twice what the moto cost again why?

BajaUtah - 10-16-2017 at 01:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bruce R Leech  
why don't you import them to Mexico.

Vehicles are too old and I'm not Residente Permanente so no Mex license so not legal to operate Mexi-plated vehicles.