BajaNomad

Class 60 Baja racer missing on his way home from La Paz

TecateRay - 11-24-2017 at 04:59 PM

MISSING CLASS 60 TEAM MEMBER!
I just received information from Guy Laycraft’s partner that he is missing. His cellphone is discharged and there has been no contact for five days. He was driving home alone from Lapaz in his truck with his bike in the back. He has not crossed the border. His last known location was north of Lapaz per his cellphone tracking. All authorities have been contacted. Does anyone know anything about Guy?
He's from Canada!
Donald E. Lewis
Copied from Facebook.

willardguy - 11-24-2017 at 05:01 PM

he was found hanging out in LAbay

TecateRay - 11-24-2017 at 06:23 PM

Thanks for the update

BajaBlanca - 11-26-2017 at 04:06 PM

Isn't that just the best ending?!

BajaBreak - 11-27-2017 at 01:24 AM

Bang on!

motoged - 11-27-2017 at 09:56 AM

Guy is a riding friend from Vancouver/Kamloops....probably visiting another local with a place in BOLA....Al Perrett....a well-known Baja racer....

AKgringo - 11-27-2017 at 10:06 AM

So....where is this bordello in BOLA? I must have missed it when I passed through there.

motoged - 11-27-2017 at 10:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
So....where is this bordello in BOLA? I must have missed it when I passed through there.

Ken,
Ya gotta know the right people :biggrin:....and they only accept Canadian dollars....:lol:

Keep Bailey in the car.....you know how dirtbiker knuckledraggers can be after a sprint in the dez.....;D

surabi - 11-27-2017 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Isn't that just the best ending?!

Actually the best ending would be that he seriously apologizes to the people who were concerned about him and wasted their time contacting authorities, and posting for info about him. And that next time he lets people know where he is and that he is safe, otherwise next time maybe no one will bother.

chuckie - 11-27-2017 at 11:12 AM

Never happen

motoged - 11-27-2017 at 08:04 PM

Guy leaves a swath behind him....not unusual.

BajaBreak - 11-27-2017 at 10:01 PM

I just threw in the 'bang on' because I thought it was a Canadian saying.

If I'm going somewhere without cell reception I tell people not to worry unless they don't hear from me for over a week, because I'm probably enjoying myself, or dead, and if it's the latter you couldn't help me anyway...

motoged - 11-27-2017 at 10:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBreak  
I just threw in the 'bang on' because I thought it was a Canadian saying.

Hmmmm....not really

basautter - 11-28-2017 at 04:47 AM

A simple "I am ok" SPOT message prevents this type of issue. Keeps everyone at home happy and not complaining about yet another Baja trip!

PaulW - 11-28-2017 at 08:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
A simple "I am ok" SPOT message prevents this type of issue. Keeps everyone at home happy and not complaining about yet another Baja trip!

=====
To bad folks are not using some kind of locator. To cheap, afraid of technology, or just don't care?
Go off by yourself requires a bit of thought about the folks at home.

There is nothing out there that is simpler to operate than SPOT. The device is half price lately. The new ones go to sleep when you stop moving to save the batteries. Takes only a few minutes to do the setup. It only takes two click to turn it on and one click to turn it off. Works inside a metal cab truck just fine. I like Inreach, but is sure is complicated in comparison to SPOT.

David K - 11-28-2017 at 08:45 AM

The inReach has two-way communication possible (you can send/receive a short email or a text message anywhere in the world). Some Nomads have Spot and some have inReach. I do wish they all had inReach!

motoged - 11-28-2017 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
..... Some Nomads have Spot and some have inReach. I do wish they all had inReach!

David,
I only have an older SPOT that I haven't used in years.....but an InReach would look good on the shelf beside the SPOT.....

It would make a nice Xmas gift....I will U2U my mailing address....:biggrin:

You just want to help your wishes come true :saint:

chuckie - 11-28-2017 at 11:21 AM

You might actually think about spending your own money?

TMW - 11-28-2017 at 11:42 AM

Nothing more simple than Spot. I would rather have a sat phone than trying to text stuff.

willardguy - 11-28-2017 at 11:49 AM

sounds like Don chose not to opt for the umbilical cord, nothing wrong with that as long as your buddy's understand....

motoged - 11-28-2017 at 11:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
You might actually think about spending your own money?

Okay.....I will buy you a book on humour....:biggrin:

bajatrailrider - 11-29-2017 at 09:07 AM

When David visited me and we went 4x4 he showed me tracking device. I should have one as when I ride solo. I leave word with a local if I'm not back in so many hours come get me. Only problem I see If I text 20 local numbers in town. Not one answers dead battery/ phone not with me/cant find phone Or don't want talk to you JAAAAAAA. David can you return my Vise grips JAAAAAA. Kidding aside good investment to stay safe.

David K - 11-29-2017 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
When David visited me and we went 4x4 he showed me tracking device. I should have one as when I ride solo. I leave word with a local if I'm not back in so many hours come get me. Only problem I see If I text 20 local numbers in town. Not one answers dead battery/ phone not with me/cant find phone Or don't want talk to you JAAAAAAA. David can you return my Vise grips JAAAAAA. Kidding aside good investment to stay safe.

Yes! Your vise grips, and that piece of rubber from Michael Diogo, both allowed me to drive home from Rancho El Coyote. I am working on the new roadguide every day and as soon as I am able to go back to Baja to finalize any data, it would be an honor to return them or a new pair to you! Plus, have another nice visit (that restaurant in San Vicente 'Mi Ranchito' was great).

Ged, I will see what I can do! ;)

Baja Bound just published the November on-line newsletter and it contains my story from last month's drive to the observatory: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/san_pedr...

bajatrailrider - 11-30-2017 at 07:39 AM

David he short time you where here you only got two routes. Need take you on the ones not on any maps.

basautter - 12-1-2017 at 04:45 AM

Cutting the cord is liberating until someone breaks down, get hurt or gets lost. An outgoing message once a day is not that invasive, and prevents others from forming a search posse. Worth it to me.