BajaNomad

Didn’t get passport stamped in Tijuana and now in Cabo

tmtuttle - 11-26-2017 at 05:04 PM

So, for the record, this is not my problem. I stopped In Tijuana and got all the proper documentation.

This is a kid from Canada who’s camped near me. He blasted through the border and with youthful ignorance, kept on going.

He tried to take the ferry to the Mazatlan but was turned away because his passport isn’t stamped. He’s spent several days, going from La Paz to Cabo trying to get the problem resolved but hasn’t gotten anywhere.

So the question for the group, is there a place in the La Paz / Cabo San Lucas area where he can officially clear immigration?

Thanks,

BC

AKgringo - 11-26-2017 at 05:49 PM

If the immigration people at the ferry terminal wouldn't stamp his FMM, I doubt that the ones at the Los Cabos airport will either, but that is where I would try next.

I don't remember now if my passport got stamped when I boarded a flight to Mexico, or when I arrived at the MX airport.

Bob and Susan - 11-26-2017 at 06:11 PM

so if he "blew by the border" he doesn't have a visa either...

he's illegally in the country

he needs a visa and the stamp

pauldavidmena - 11-26-2017 at 06:26 PM

This exact thing happened to me when I visited Spain in '73 at the age of 13. I didn't know a word of Spanish, so when I arrived at Barajas airport - unaccompanied - I instinctively went to the shortest line at Immigration, which happened to be for native Spaniards. I held my U.S. passport in my hands, but no one asked me for it, so I collected my bags and walked out of the terminal none the wiser. My uncle was waiting for me at the curb, and as far as I knew, everything was fine - until I tried to leave several weeks later.

My host family consisted of a college student, a few years older than me, and his parents, a homemaker and a lawyer. Arturo and his father drove me to the airport and stayed around long enough to note that there was a problem with my passport. The officials spoke no English, so Mr. Romero instinctively took my case. He grew loud and agitated while officials questioned him with similar tone and volume. I don't know what was said, but I ultimately made my flight to New York on time, which in retrospect might have been a mistake.

tmtuttle - 11-26-2017 at 06:32 PM

Yes, he is here illegally - doesn’t have the FMM and no stamps in his passport. He’s young and ignorant and didn’t do this with malice or bad intentions. I’m sure this isn’t the first time something like this has happened. If I hadn’t read about the requirements in a guidebook, I may have done the same thing.

Again, is there any way to get this resolved in La Paz or Cabo San Lucas? Right now, it’s looking like he has to drive all the way back to Tijuana.

AKgringo - 11-26-2017 at 06:42 PM

I remember this coming up before, and if the information that came up then is correct, there is no passport required for flights within the country.

He may be able to board a flight to Tijuana then walk across to re-enter and get a stamped FMM. Since I used a passport card last trip, my regular passport did not get stamped.

mtgoat666 - 11-26-2017 at 06:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tmtuttle  
Yes, he is here illegally - doesn’t have the FMM and no stamps in his passport. He’s young and ignorant and didn’t do this with malice or bad intentions. I’m sure this isn’t the first time something like this has happened. If I hadn’t read about the requirements in a guidebook, I may have done the same thing.

Again, is there any way to get this resolved in La Paz or Cabo San Lucas? Right now, it’s looking like he has to drive all the way back to Tijuana.

I don’t see how you can get your fmm and passport stamp in Cabo,... unless you pretend to arrive by boat and then get a visa at immigration in Cabo or la Paz...

Why drive? Cheaper and more relaxing to take a bus or fly back to border.

bobrehfuss - 11-26-2017 at 09:15 PM

A few years ago I driove to Loreto and when flying out I did not have an FMM or my passport stamped. When I explained that I drove down and that I was not informed at the Tecate border crossing that I needed that paperwork I was directed to the immigration office in the airport. I paid a legit $40 fee to have paperwork processed and the issues me an FMM. It was done immediately and I made it to my flight on time.

It seems to me that the same option should be available at the airport in Cabo or La Paz.

surabi - 11-26-2017 at 10:18 PM

Sorry, but in my book, this doesn't qualify as youthful ignorance, it's plain stupidity. Someone who has no idea that they have to go through some kind of immigration process when entering another country shouldn't be travelling on their own.

windgrrl - 11-27-2017 at 06:28 AM

Perhaps the Mexican immigration office in Cabo?
http://www.cabosanlucasinsider.com/mexican-immigration-offic...

There is also a Canadian Consular office there, but probably would just give advice similar to what is available on the website:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/mexico-mexique/offices-...

Hook - 11-27-2017 at 06:35 AM

In our area, it used to be you could go to an airport and get it done. Those days have been over for about 3-4 years now.

Windgrrl has a decent idea. Go see what the Canadian Consular office recommends.

Other than that, it's probably bus to the border if he/she simply MUST go to the mainland. But if he/she is happy just doing Baja this trip.........I would probably do nothing. Probably hundreds of people cross into Mexico by land each year and never get a stamped FMM and never have to show them. Probably millions have them and never have to show them.

But he/she better keep his nose clean down there. I hope youthful exuberance doesnt have him coming home from the Cabo nightclubs at 2am. :O

[Edited on 11-27-2017 by Hook]

ligui - 11-27-2017 at 06:59 AM

Put 50 bucks worth of pesos in the passport folded up and hand it to the guy at immigration then turn around for a couple of seconds then ask him if there is anyway to get stamped .

Worked for me .

tmtuttle - 11-27-2017 at 07:09 AM

Great advice. I’ll pass it on.

He did go to immigration offices in La Paz and San Jose del Cabo and had no luck.

He’s a good kid and not a partier. We’re actually camping in the Todos Santos area doing some some surfing. Besides, Mexican immigration already knows he’s here illegally he’s been to their offices and explained what he did.

I think the flight or a bus ride to Tijuana sounds most practical. I’ll pass it on.

Hook - 11-27-2017 at 08:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tmtuttle  

He did go to immigration offices in La Paz and San Jose del Cabo and had no luck.

He’s a good kid and not a partier. We’re actually camping in the Todos Santos area doing some some surfing. Besides, Mexican immigration already knows he’s here illegally he’s been to their offices and explained what he did.

I think the flight or a bus ride to Tijuana sounds most practical. I’ll pass it on.

It's possible that the Canadian Consulate could have connections with INM that might get him an FMM and stamp in the Los Cabos area. He might pay a fine (seems to me it was around 1000 pesos) but it might be cheaper and certainly quicker than getting back to TJ, by ANY means.

sancho - 11-27-2017 at 09:27 AM

I certainly would not pile on this guy, who here hasn't made
a blunder. Was in Vallarta back in the day, had an fmt that
wasn't stamped. went to the airport got in line with tourists
coming in from Texas, got it stamped. Don't believe that
could be done now. A bus ride LP to TJ, maybe $130 dlls,
giving a TIP to Mex Imm is an option, but the possibility
of it backfiring is there. I might go with the crewing on
a sailboat idea sounds plausible

AKgringo - 11-27-2017 at 10:02 AM

In 2012, after about ten years with no road trips to Mexico, I inquired at the border (Tecate) about a tourist permit for Baja. The agent must have thought I was asking about a TIP for my vehicle, because he said none was required in the border zone, or all of Baja.

I made two more trips to La Paz after that, blissfully unaware that I was illegal. I found this forum while searching for storm damage info post Norbert, and Odile, and that was the first time I ever heard of the FMM requirement.

Most of my trips SOB were on the mainland, and I always had a tourist visa, so I was surprised when I was told (incorrectly) by Mexican border agents that I did not need one in Baja!

snowcat5 - 11-28-2017 at 06:13 PM

This is easy. Go to the Los Cabos Airport. Go to newest terminal. Down stairs, south end, is where you can get a tourist card. Nice guy in small office, speaks English, likes Cokes, will cost about $5o usd. Got to have Tourist card to get Passport stamped.

JZ - 11-29-2017 at 09:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
This exact thing happened to me when I visited Spain in '73 at the age of 13. I didn't know a word of Spanish, so when I arrived at Barajas airport - unaccompanied - I instinctively went to the shortest line at Immigration, which happened to be for native Spaniards. I held my U.S. passport in my hands, but no one asked me for it, so I collected my bags and walked out of the terminal none the wiser. My uncle was waiting for me at the curb, and as far as I knew, everything was fine - until I tried to leave several weeks later.

My host family consisted of a college student, a few years older than me, and his parents, a homemaker and a lawyer. Arturo and his father drove me to the airport and stayed around long enough to note that there was a problem with my passport. The officials spoke no English, so Mr. Romero instinctively took my case. He grew loud and agitated while officials questioned him with similar tone and volume. I don't know what was said, but I ultimately made my flight to New York on time, which in retrospect might have been a mistake.

Did this in Italy 2 years ago. Plane was late getting in and I had a short connection. So I cheated and went through the much shorter Euro only line. Didn't realize they didn't stamp it. They caught it on the way out. Gave me about 30secs of grief, but just let me go.

JZ - 11-29-2017 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
In our area, it used to be you could go to an airport and get it done. Those days have been over for about 3-4 years now.

[Edited on 11-27-2017 by Hook]

I got one at the airport once after we said screw it at the border, but needed to fly out.

Sad to hear you can't do that anymore.

tmtuttle - 11-30-2017 at 09:36 AM