BajaNomad

Magdelina Bay Recommendations

1Bajalover - 11-29-2017 at 04:21 PM

A Friend and I are planning a probably one day visit to Mag Bay to see the whales - are there places to stay for a night that anyone would like to recommend? I am trying to research as I am down in Mulege and she is up north still

thanks for suggestions!

bajalinda - 11-30-2017 at 08:05 AM

Contact Mula on this board for info on Lopez Mateos. Maybe send her a U2U. She has a rental casita that is great.

There are also a couple of motels in Lopez Mateos, but I can't remember their names.

Have a great trip - I've been whale-watching there twice in the last 3 years or so and it's been wonderful!

[Edited on 11-30-2017 by bajalinda]

Alan - 11-30-2017 at 08:57 AM

Hotel Brennan in San Carlos is the only one I know that I can recommend in that area

carlosg - 11-30-2017 at 09:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by carlosg  
We visited Puerto San Carlos just before "Semana Santa", we stayed at "Brennan Hotel": clean, very basic, not good tv, secured parking, no restaurant but they do have a fishing guide on hand that may be helpful. We had dinner at "Restaurante Lore" right on the corner up a couple of steps: not good; but next door to it there's a smaller not as "fancy" but was told by locals it's way better homemade food: "La Pasadita" when we got there it was closed (around 9pm). We also had great seafood at Mariscos "El Tiburon" behind the technical school.

During our visit it was windy everyday so we didn't go out in the bay but as I've learned there's great fishing and sightseeing along the bay and in the mangroves, also the sand dunes on Isla Magdalena are something worthwhile visiting.

I had both motors on my boat checked by a local mechanic, it was a small shop with sand floor but very knowledgeable guys working there.

On your way thru Ciudad Constitucion look for "Antojeria La Esquina" it's on a corner on the east side of the street: it's a must hole in the wall place to have breakfast; we stayed at Hotel "Posada del Ryal" about $650 pesos (?) secured parking, coffee in the office, regular tv, really clean.

Enjoy your visit.

Bajazly - 11-30-2017 at 09:50 AM

There is an Eco Lodge on the right side of the road just as you get into Puerto San Carlos, cant remember the name but all the small buildings that are the rooms are very colorful. We went out there right before the 1000 for a day to kill some time. The rooms are $70 per night right now and were very nice. They have a restaurant/bar and the food is to die for, seems like with the right crowd the place might be pretty fun at night too.

tiotomasbcs - 11-30-2017 at 01:02 PM

I believe most Whale Trips leave out of Lopez Mateos and move up into northern end of the Bay where the whales slip in. With the new interest in Whale Watching there are more places to stay. I also recommend Mula, Cheri King, who is a great fisherman and local in the area. Good fun. Tio

David K - 11-30-2017 at 01:15 PM

In my Trip Report #6 (August 2017), I stayed at a motel recommended by Mula in Lopez Mateos and the next day, I drove into Puerto San Carlos and listed the three motels I saw there.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87323

Here are my notes off the trip report:

Nearing Ciudad Insurgentes, I take the paved road west to López Mateos, a fishing town and whale watching center on Magdalena Bay. It is 20 miles to town. I drive around and go to the Hotel Refugio, recommended by 'Mula' on Baja Nomad forums, who has a home there. The hotel owner (Róman) was very nice and the room was air conditioned, very small, but comfortable at 350 pesos (=US$20.17). The WiFi only works in the dining room area, which was not serving food in the summer... because whales are not there then! I made a couple posts and checked email. I slept well... but the mosquitos got me when I was in the dining room area and outside.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Puerto San Carlos highway (Mexico #22) was 15.9 miles south of Insurgentes, or about Km. 211.5. In fact, the Km. 212 marker was 0.4 mi north... so the estimating of missing kilometer marker locations works.

I drive out the 35 miles (57 kilometers) to San Carlos and was quite pleased with the nice town appearance, the beach palapas just before town, and just a better feel for what was available there to serve visitors. I saw three hotels (motels): Mar Y Arena (at the entrance to town), Alcatraz, and the Brennon (with an Irish theme).

At a market in the middle of town, I bought three bags of ice for my chest (60 pesos) as my ice from home was finally in need of supplementing. I also knew it would be awhile before I was able to get more. I only needed the ice for milk (cereal), Costco chicken/mozzarella/artichoke brats, and to cool the beer and drinking water.

TLBaja79 - 11-30-2017 at 06:50 PM

We have enjoyed San Carlos a few times.
Hotel Brennan is great clean, possibly warm showers...old school baja type hotel.
The hotel Mar y Arena Eco Tours is a very nice 'bungalow' type hotel. We really liked staying here, and would definitely stay here next time

Captain Enrique Jr who operates out of Hotel Brennan is the best in our opinion. He is no pressure at all. Speaks enough english. Multiple times he recommended a certain time for us to go out for the best experience even though he could have made more $$$. We have been out with him a few time and would def go back with him.