BajaNomad

How interesting is the dirt road from San Javier South to the 53?

JZ - 12-2-2017 at 12:01 PM

Worth the ride?

TMW - 12-2-2017 at 12:08 PM

It's like most Baja roads. Nothing really difficult. There are several arroyo crossings, nothing to be concerned about unless it rains or after a rain. They are somewhat slow and easy due to the rocks. As you get further west the road turns more to sand.

I think it is a good run whether on a bike or 4 wheeler. It is not a 4x4 type road.

[Edited on 12-2-2017 by TMW]

AKgringo - 12-2-2017 at 12:24 PM

I drove it almost a year ago, and it was passable in any two wheel drive with reasonable clearance. Even if the storms this year damaged it, it gets enough traffic that I would bet it gets priority being repaired.

The eastern two thirds is a nice drive. but the western third out on the flats is pretty monotonous. There are more than a few water crossings, but nothing to worry about between storms.

Would you be approaching from Loreto, or San Juanico?

David K - 12-2-2017 at 12:26 PM

Interesting... there is a mission-era visita ruin with an impressive pila (reservoir) just off the road, south of San Javier. It is called La Presentación. It is about 10 miles south of San Javier.

Photos and GPS: http://vivabaja.com/missions3/page3.html
More photos may be found doing a Nomad search.
In my book, I have this GPS for the site: N25°43.75' W111°32.64'

It is just off the original road south from San Javier. The newer graded road is a bit east, so you will need to backtrack a little where the older road meets the new road, just south of the site. Use Google Earth to scope it out.