BajaNomad

Flight transfer TJ >> SanD ...how much time to allow?

micah202 - 12-2-2017 at 07:52 PM

...found a Calafia flight that would land into TJ from Loreto at 13:20,,
with a Air Canada nonstop flight departing at 16:50 same day from SanD .

This 'sounds' quite do-able for most airport transfers, even with changing carriers,,, but being Mexico, would I be leaving ample time to transfer airports, clear customs, find the Air Canada departure gate?

Calafia usually runs reasonably on time?
The transfer for San Diego is pretty clear for a first timer?
The passenger would only have carry-on baggage.

...any other deets to be aware of? :smug:

[Edited on 12-3-2017 by micah202]

joerover - 12-2-2017 at 08:22 PM

how long is the customs line on the airport bridge? how much is a taxi? As you do not have time for public transit. What about the security line at the San Diego airport? What about the xray machine line leaving the tjtq airport?

Does air Cananada mean another customs line?

Stay the night in tjtq, get in line at 9am the next morning, spend an hour and a half on public transit, make the flight with an hour or so to spare.

micah202 - 12-2-2017 at 08:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  
how long is the customs line on the airport bridge? how much is a taxi? As you do not have time for public transit. What about the security line at the San Diego airport? What about the xray machine line leaving the tjtq airport?

Does air Cananada mean another customs line?

Stay the night in tjtq, get in line at 9am the next morning, spend an hour and a half on public transit, make the flight with an hour or so to spare.

Question answered,, thanks Joe.
Never flown through there,, thought the two airports were virtually side by side,, guess that's not the case!
...let alone good ole 'merican home security! :rolleyes:

ligui - 12-3-2017 at 07:10 AM

Just came back thru that route . Landed in TJ walked across the bridge to USA . No one in line at customs got a stamp in the passport and walked on . Had four people in our party so asked for the shuttle to the SD airport . 70 bucks right to the SD airport no waiting . Went very smooth . Can't say it happens all the time but was nice .

We did overnight in SD and had a great time on the oceanfront .

BajaBlanca - 12-3-2017 at 07:16 AM

micah - I think Joe is spot on. We did the bridge into US in August and it was pretty fast in spite of there being quite a few travelers BUT overnighting sounds so much smarter when you have another flight to catch.

The airports are FAR from each other.

mtgoat666 - 12-3-2017 at 07:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  
...found a Calafia flight that would land into TJ from Loreto at 13:20,,
with a Air Canada nonstop flight departing at 16:50 same day from SanD .

This 'sounds' quite do-able for most airport transfers, even with changing carriers,,, but being Mexico, would I be leaving ample time to transfer airports, clear customs, find the Air Canada departure gate?

Calafia usually runs reasonably on time?
The transfer for San Diego is pretty clear for a first timer?
The passenger would only have carry-on baggage.

...any other deets to be aware of? :smug:

can be done in 3 hours, but leaves no margin for error. I would allow 4 hours to be on safe side.
You don’t need to overnight, but should allow for min of 4 hours between flights.

[Edited on 12-3-2017 by mtgoat666]

mtgoat666 - 12-3-2017 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
micah - I think Joe is spot on. We did the bridge into US in August and it was pretty fast in spite of there being quite a few travelers BUT overnighting sounds so much smarter when you have another flight to catch.

The airports are FAR from each other.

Not FAR. Taxi or pvt car Travel from border to SAN airport is 1/2 hour in good traffic, 45-60 mins in morning rush hour.

Alan - 12-3-2017 at 09:15 AM

The delay is not at TIJ. I have crossed the bridge close to 10 times since they opened and have never had a line at customs. Especially if you only have a carry on and don't have to wait at baggage claim. Then you are typically the first person to the counter.

Any delay would be the transfer to San Diego which I have personally never done but those I have talked to that have, recommend catching an Uber from CBX to SAN

micah202 - 12-3-2017 at 11:27 AM

...''can be done in 3 hours, but leaves no margin for error.''

I think that's the key. Hopefully the GF's work is fine with her coming home a coupla daze late. 2 days longer and 4 hour layover in LA sounds a bit more fun and secure than having a 'room for error' in Mexico, or a night on her own in TJay. She's usually been an 'all-inclusive' sort, excited to see the 'other' baja,, but hopefully no need to set up a ''lost in TJ'' challenge ;)

Now hopefully alaska offers a better price on tuesday! :tumble:

bajalinda - 12-3-2017 at 01:36 PM

I agree that your GF is going to have to overnight somewhere or check other flights/airlines. If the Calafia flight were to be delayed for any reason, she'd miss her other flight.

Sounds like you're leaning towards Alaska through LA, but if that doesn't work out...

Given the choice between TJ or SD for an overnight, I'd go for San Diego because that way you can cross on the CBX bridge, get over to the waterfront area by the SD airport where there are plenty of hotels/motels, restaurants, things to do, and catch your flight the next day.
I've crossed the CBX bridge several times. There have been at most 1 or 2 people in front of me in line at US immigration and no wait at customs. You are in the US 20 to 30 minutes after landing in TJ.

If you stay in TJ, you won't be able to use the bridge the next day and will have to get in a long line and walk across the border at another point of entry, probably San Ysidro, then taxi, Uber or take public transportation to the SD airport.

JZ - 12-3-2017 at 02:29 PM

I've flown into TJ a good bit. Super fast to get through everytime. She'll be out in under an hour easy.

Uber/Lyft is the way to go. 1/3 the price of a taxi. They are hanging out there. It will take less than 5 mins to get one. Not that much traffic at 2pm. Lyft is usually less expensive than Uber, could be $10 cheaper.

3.5 hrs is plenty of time. It will take under 2hrs. Go for it.

[Edited on 12-3-2017 by JZ]

BajaBlanca - 12-3-2017 at 04:49 PM

I know that time-wise it is not far if there are no accidents etc. but I lived in San Diego over 20 years before moving to Baja and it is far, to me.