BajaNomad

Loreto and La Paz recommendations

nbentley1 - 12-4-2017 at 12:03 PM

We will be spending some time in Loreto and La Paz over the Christmas week and are looking for Hotel / Restaurant recommendations. Thanks

JZ - 12-4-2017 at 01:00 PM

For Loreto:

La Mision is the nicest hotel in Loreto. Great view, beautiful hotel right by the marina.
Oasis is the best average price hotel. Right on the ocean.
Santa Fe and Hacienda Suites are both very good, inexpensive places.

La Paz:
Costa Baja is the nicest place overall.
Hyatt there is usually pretty cheap and nice, but certainly not a typical Baja place. My kids like it a lot.

StuckSucks - 12-4-2017 at 01:09 PM

The two places where I've stayed extensively are the Mision Hotel and The Oasis. Both are awesome places with awesome people, but they have different feels. The Mision is more upscale; The Oasis is classic Baja and very comfortable. Both are on the malecon, but the Mision has no sand beach -- the Oasis has a great sand beach. Both are walking distance to the Loreto Mission, many restaurants and stores, and a super mercado.

Howard turned me onto an exceptional restaurant, La Picazón. The place is on the beach maybe six miles north of Loreto, accessed by a dirt road which is regular-car-friendly. The family also owns La Picazón restaurants in San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. Strongly recommended.

willardguy - 12-4-2017 at 01:38 PM

in la paz I'd vote for the Posada de la mision, in loreto we always choose the El Dorado

Howard - 12-4-2017 at 02:34 PM

I highly recommend, one of the best, Sabor in Loreto, don't miss it!

For tacos for lunch, if you can find them open, is El Rey tacos

Just as Stuck Sucks says, lunch or a very early dinner at La Picazon. Closed Sunday and I think there open from noon to 6:00.

What is your price range on the hotel? Previous recommendations for La Mission and Oasis are spot on.

If you are driving between the 2 cities you might want to consider going to Lopez Mateos to catch the beginning of the whale migration. There should be some friendlies by then.

Alan - 12-4-2017 at 02:59 PM

Best bet in Las Paz
http://www.bandbhaciendaparaisodelapaz.com/

StuckSucks - 12-4-2017 at 03:12 PM

La Picazón map

Mula - 12-4-2017 at 03:24 PM

No friendlies (whales) in December and maybe not even the first couple of weeks of January. The Whale Watching powers that be are talking about allowing the first whale watching here in Lope on the 30th of Dec.

nbentley1 - 12-7-2017 at 11:41 AM

I appreciate all the great suggestions / recommendations. Thank you!!

nbentley1 - 12-7-2017 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
La Picazón map

StuckSucks, we will be traveling between the two and will check out La Picazón . Thanks