BajaNomad

La Paz Carnaval 2018

NIFTSIX - 12-5-2017 at 11:20 AM

Does anybody by chance know when the dates for the 2018 Carnaval in La Paz might be? I have found 2 conflicting dates. Bajacitizen.com has it Feb 8-13, 2018 & eventsloscabos.com has it Feb26-Mar 4, 2018. Anybody have any insight or confirmation?? Thanks in advance!

RnR - 12-5-2017 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by NIFTSIX  
Does anybody by chance know when the dates for the 2018 Carnaval in La Paz might be? I have found 2 conflicting dates. Bajacitizen.com has it Feb 8-13, 2018 & eventsloscabos.com has it Feb26-Mar 4, 2018. Anybody have any insight or confirmation?? Thanks in advance!

I believe -

Carnaval is associated with the yearly date of Easter.

Specifically it should end by dawn of Ash Wednesday. The "big party night" is Fat Tuesday, the night before Ash Wednesday.

Ash Wednesday 2018 is Feb 13th. So, the dates of Feb 8-13 should be the correct Carnaval dates.

No mystery why it falls on different dates every year, it just precedes Easter by seven weeks.

Sweetwater - 12-5-2017 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  
Quote: Originally posted by NIFTSIX  

I believe -

Carnaval is associated with the yearly date of Easter.

Specifically it should end by dawn of Ash Wednesday. The "big party night" is Fat Tuesday, the night before Ash Wednesday.

Ash Wednesday 2018 is Feb 13th. So, the dates of Feb 8-13 should be the correct Carnaval dates.

No mystery why it falls on different dates every year, it just precedes Easter by seven weeks.

Yup, Lent comes early in 2018. It's several weeks earlier than this past spring, in fact it's still winter.

tobias - 12-6-2017 at 02:17 PM

I was there for last Carnival and might make it for this one.
Pretty fun on the malecon but also fairly easy to escape if you get fed up with crowds.

NIFTSIX - 12-7-2017 at 10:18 AM

Thanks for the replies! We unknowingly booked our stay at the Perla last year during Carnaval and it was an awesome experience - was hoping to repeat this year but it looks like I'll be a week late! Cheers!

daveB - 12-11-2017 at 11:00 AM

We were at La Perla for a Carnival a few years ago, but merely by chance. Not knowing it was happening, we emerged from the bus taken from Mulege, hailed a taxi to get us to this hotel, with no reservation, but concerned less about packing our too considerable luggage through the crowds, because of those crowds the taxi could not get us closer, than a prospect that they may not have a room. We were in! Out on the street, though, crowded beyond our belief, we were more than happy to return to the hotel and view the excitement from their viewing area. Next day we ran into folks from our northern small town, and things seemed quieter. Our only Carnival, to date.