BajaNomad

espanol for the gringo

eetdrt88 - 2-23-2005 at 10:46 PM

cerveza por favor.....this has worked so far but i would like to know more, such as words or phrases that are helpful when conversing with the locals about camping,fishing,or anything along those lines....muchos gracias amigos

Bruce R Leech - 2-24-2005 at 07:07 AM

never ask a question with out saying something first.

TMW - 2-24-2005 at 08:04 AM

I suggest a good Spanish/English dictionary. Also I like the book Spanish Lingo for the Savvy Gringo by Elizabeth Ried. It's only about 200 pages but it tells you how to pronouns the words. Several years ago she taught a Spanish language course at Discover Baja in San Diego.

Marie-Rose - 2-24-2005 at 08:28 AM

I highly recommend "Breaking out of Beginner's Spanish" by Joseph Keenan.
Great use of humor to make a very readable book!!

Dave - 2-24-2005 at 10:32 AM

BajaNomad has a 'Spanish language' forum. Check it out.

bajajudy - 2-24-2005 at 11:14 AM

We have Spanish Lingo for the Savvy Gringo available from our website.
Although a dictionary is nice, finding out a few phrases to use can actually start communications.
I also agree with Bruce. Before you say anything, ask how the person is....como esta...or good morning or good evening...buenos dias o buenas tardes. Never just start without some sort of polite conversation to break the ice.
Suerte

New Spanish language book.....

John M - 2-24-2005 at 12:14 PM

Sunbelt Publications, in their new book section is listing "Spanish Speakout" and writes that you can

"Find the perfect phrase for any situation in hotels, restaurants, shops, and elsewhere"

$11.95 - supposed to be available soon, maybe now! I haven't seen it, but Sunbelt should be familiar to Nomads for their good stuff.

I just spoke with Sunbelt and this title is not in yet, but they hope to have it in a very short time, maybe March.

[Edited on 2-24-2005 by John M]

yankeeirishman - 2-24-2005 at 04:29 PM

Here's the tool you can use. I used one of these with great results. It's at Radio Shack (on line) . Bout a hundred bucks

? Pronounces Spanish and English words clearly using improved ClariSpeech? technology
? The phrases are actual voice recordings of native speakers
? Big 8-10 line display
? Touch-screen navigation for fast, easy operation
? TOEFL test word list, Spelling Bee and word games
? PC connectivity for downloading data from a special Franklin website
? Bookcard system lets you add other Franklin books anytime
? Includes grammar guide, with essential information on Spanish grammar rules to help construct sentences

[Edited on 2-24-2005 by yankeeirishman]

helpful when conversing with the locals

Don Jorge - 2-24-2005 at 04:45 PM

In the true spirit of otra cerveza por favor may I suggest the helpful :
"Cu?ado, tu hermanita esta preciosa!"

thanx guyz

eetdrt88 - 2-24-2005 at 09:53 PM

baja nomad is muey bueno.thanx for the tips:coolup:

Bruce R Leech - 2-24-2005 at 11:02 PM

Speaking Spanish is vary important ,but don't forget the body language. in Mexico this is vary important. you can Carry on a whole conversation with out saying anything. you will never here a Mexican saying Una cerveza por favor. they do a twisted point to the bottle and hold up one finger.

Pregunta Para Bruce

MrBillM - 2-25-2005 at 10:57 AM

How is your WRITTEN Spanish ? Is it the same as your written English ? Or worse ?

On the subject of Spanish as spoken in Mexico (Hose A), a few years back I worked at a facility that had quite a few Cuban expatriates and they were always lamenting that they didn't speak REAL Spanish in Mexico. I would write a letter in Spanish and ask one of them to proof read it. They would say time and again that "you don't say it this way" and I would say, "but they do in Baja".

bajajudy - 2-25-2005 at 11:16 AM

Try speaking OUR(Mex) Spanish to someone from Spain. They are insulted with our use of the familiar "tu" for everyone.
The Cubans speak Spanish like a machine gun. They say that the Mexicans sing the language. Isnt that a lovely thought.

Spanglish!

Pompano - 2-25-2005 at 11:50 AM

This is the land of Spanglish for a lot of people...a little of each culture. Maybe that is the way it should be...someday we can all speak the same cohesive jabberwocky, as mankind did before the Tower of Babel mischief!...or didn't (for you politically correct Baja Nomads!)

Someone borne in upstate Maine can barely converse with someone from the bayous of Louisiana...so it's easy to see why there are so many problems with differenct ethnic groups of Spanish-speaking peoples.

Years ago we had a guest from Spain and she was continuosly correcting the Baja people on thier pronunciation and grammar. Not too cool for a foreigner.

It's fun to learn the local idioms and usage. My compadre in town introduces me to others this way...'Este es mi buen amigo, Pompano. El esta un poco loco, pero el no habla con el fuego.' Now I am sure that would lose something if told to someone from Madrid.

Debra - 2-25-2005 at 02:44 PM

"tamato, tomoto"....When I was a young girl in school in Ca. I was taught "proper" Spanish....Castillian...I was raised in San Francisco with Puerto Rican family members, I have a close friend from Chilie.....And I have southren Ca. friends that correct me (embarres me....they have ) with my "Spanglish" so I stop trying when I'm along with others that speak better Mexican than I (NO, NOT YOU!)....one thing that I have never had happen when traveling alone is have a Mexican laugh at me or correct me while trying to use their launguage..

bajalera - 2-25-2005 at 03:53 PM

I've never been to this place where people use "tu" all the time. Where is it?

bajalera

I used to try to use "usted".....

Tucker - 2-25-2005 at 07:00 PM

and many times corrected to use "tu".

better to call someone Ud. and be invited to call them tu

BajaVida - 2-25-2005 at 08:07 PM

than refer to them as tu and insult them

Tu/ Ud

thebajarunner - 2-25-2005 at 10:43 PM

In Mexico City my friends call the parents 'tu'
My wife, from Jalisco, was horrified that I would refer to her mother as tu.
Only Usted for mama..
Go figure
(and I called my father "the old man" in Gringolandia)

Baja Arriba!!

bajajudy - 2-26-2005 at 07:17 AM

Most people here use "tu" after you have had one conversation with them. I think that is good because it lets you know that the person definitely is talking about you not it, he or she. I have noticed that if I ask como se llama, people look around to see what I want to know the name of. Now I always say como se llama usted and then people tell me their name.
Maybe it is just a regional thing. Like people in La Paz pronounce their city La Pa

woody with a view - 2-26-2005 at 09:46 AM

great thread. i'm understanding my first inuendo in another language:light:

bajalera - 2-26-2005 at 11:23 AM

What I got politely corrected on in Spain was using "abuelita" in talking with other women of my age group. I've never known a Mexican grandmother who wasn't a little grandmother--no matter what her size--but Spanish women put just enough emphasize on "abuela" to let me know this was the term they considered proper.

bajalera

Oso - 2-26-2005 at 05:04 PM

"cojer un juau juau"

In Cuba= to catch a bus.

In Mexico= to flock a dog.

"Papaya"

In Mexico= a tropical fruit.

In Cuba= a penis. (They call it "fruta de bomba" instead)

The only "correct" language is the one spoken by the people of the place in which one finds oneself.

Case in point:

Friendly Southern girl welcoming newly transplanted Northern neighbor: "Where y'all from?"

Haughty Yankee transplant: "From where we do not end a sentence with a preposition."

Southern Girl: "Oh! Let me rephrase that. Where y'all from, b-tch?"

Every language has these little glitches

Ken Bondy - 2-26-2005 at 05:25 PM

I particularly like this one in English: In England when someone says they are going to "knock you up" it means they are going to call you on the telephone. Slightly different meaning in the US of A.
++Ken++

[Edited on 2-27-2005 by Ken Bondy]

por favor

Porky Pig - 2-26-2005 at 07:56 PM

you can't lose by starting out a conversation with "por favor"

Baja Bernie - 2-26-2005 at 08:21 PM

I'll stay with that word 'usted' always--until I have been given permission to use 'tu'. The most beautiful word for me is 'de nada' which is a nice reply to 'gracias'. It will always bring a smile if it is used after you have given someone something---why? because it relieves the person receiving something of any sense of responsiblity for responding in kind. 'De Nada'--it is nothing/ or for nothing.

For my money Mexico (even better than Texas)is the best place in the world to try and learn the language BECAUSE the people are so gracious and helpful and they are just downright happy that are you trying.

Oh! yea--the second words I learned were 'otra mas' and I still like the results of using them.

[Edited on 2-27-2005 by Baja Bernie]

Oso - 2-27-2005 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:

You sure about that? I always thought it was "guagua." ??

--Larry

That could be the Cuban spelling. I was pretty sure that juau juau was the Mexican spelling (there's a table dance place in SLRC by that name). I asked someone who knows the correct pronunciation about the spelling but he just c-cked his head to one side, looked at me like he was thinking "WTF?", and went back to licking his privates.

Oso

Baja Bernie - 2-27-2005 at 10:05 AM

Now that I know your source I will NEVER question you again.

On this note why don't you share "The Pig in the Barber Shop" with the new folks. A fantastic book with insights into the Mexican culture--and a fun read by H. Allen Smith

Oso - 2-27-2005 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
On this note why don't you share "The Pig in the Barber Shop" with the new folks. A fantastic book with insights into the Mexican culture--and a fun read by H. Allen Smith

Well, you just did.

I'd also add "Baja HaHa", by the late, great Fred Hoctor, a personal friend of Baja Bernie who is himself a "Baja Author" of no small note.

Oso - 2-27-2005 at 05:10 PM

"If I could do that, I'd never leave the house." - George Carlin

Dave - 2-27-2005 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
"If I could do that, I'd never leave the house." - George Carlin

Oso, one word:

Yoga:biggrin:

Speaking of private parts...

El Camote - 2-28-2005 at 12:19 AM

I learned an embarassing lesson in Spanish when I went into an auto partes store in San Felipe which employs several young lovelies working the counter. Needing a replacement grease fitting for my front axel I asked her, "tiene pez?n por grasa?"

Before I could state the make of vehicle, she had sent the jefe over who very patiently corrected me once he figured out what I was attempting to ask for.

I still have the simple but accurate pencil drawing he made for me of a grease nipple with the word "grasera" underneath.

I can only imagine what I was asking her!
:?::bounce::lol:

Oso - 2-28-2005 at 08:36 AM

"grasera" - literal translation= greaser.

Sweet Tater, you were not far from a literal trans. of grease nipple (although shoulda been para not por).

BUT, this is why if you are in a market (in Central Mexico, at least), above the eggs you will see a sign saying "blanquillos", NOT "huevos".

Translation is an art, not a science. That is why I have a low opinion of online automated translators and don't believe they'll ever be perfected to a point of reliability.

[Edited on 2-28-2005 by Oso]