BajaNomad

Has Anyone Had Trouble Driving into Baja in a 3/4 Ton Truck with Camper?

bajarich - 12-11-2017 at 02:11 PM

I understand there is a new weight limit on pickup trucks going south into Mexico of 7716 lbs, or 3-1/2 metric tons. Has anyone had any problems at the border with this new rule. There must be a lot of campers on 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups that cross the border every day. I also understand they go by the placard on the door for GVWR which would make my Dodge 2500 unable to cross. Is this what the future will be for Baja?

We are heading south next week and crossing at Algodonas or Mexicali.

Lee - 12-11-2017 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
I understand there is a new weight limit on pickup trucks going south into Mexico of 7716 lbs, or 3-1/2 metric tons. Has anyone had any problems at the border with this new rule. There must be a lot of campers on 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups that cross the border every day. I also understand they go by the placard on the door for GVWR which would make my Dodge 2500 unable to cross. Is this what the future will be for Baja?

We are heading south next week and crossing at Algodonas or Mexicali.

You understand what? Where is your info coming from?

Bob and Susan - 12-11-2017 at 02:43 PM

the weight limit has to do with temp import permit (tip)

not required in baja

lots of duallys with campers here this year

Hook - 12-11-2017 at 02:46 PM

In fact, the only crossings that seem to be enforcing this are in Texas. Nothing reported at Nogales, so far.

bajarich - 12-11-2017 at 02:46 PM

Aparently it is not being enforced in Baja. My source was a post in Wander the West forum which references the Discover Baja Travel Club which I am not a member of. The limit would aply to non-motorhome vehicles when obtaining a TIP for maniland Mexico, but it also says it "may" be enforced at some California border crossings.

PaulW - 12-11-2017 at 02:50 PM

Stick with Baja specific info, not Mexico in general.
Find and use Baja specific forums, Utube, and facebook sites.

The law was correctly quoted above, however applies to mainland only because In Baja there is no provision for or infrastructure to implement the law.
No problem for Baja at this time
Maybe someday??? Plan ahead.

yumawill - 12-11-2017 at 05:27 PM

i didn't know that Baja wasn't Mexico? Well shazam, shazam.

dizzyspots - 12-12-2017 at 10:52 AM

and it only applies to BIG trucks that can CARRY 7716 pounds NOT that weigh that much overall....somebody misread the translation...juts crossed at Mexicali East..full inspection , got our FMM..easy peasy

PaulW - 12-12-2017 at 05:43 PM

In writing the law the Mexican probably misunderstood what GVWR is defined as. Its not cargo. Example: A new F350 has a GVWR of 14000 and a max cargo of 6621. The Mx law says 7716 GVWR is the limiting number. Payload or cargo rating is not listed on the label on the door so they use the GVWR which is shown.
For larger semi cargo haulers and box trucks the law uses cargo weight for the fees/permits and the GVWR is ignored. Those trucks usually have weight tickets to define the cargo weight.

The other main issue is pickups have been banned on the mainland because the camper does not have a VIN number and they refuse to classify a pickup/camper as a motor-home. Thus there is no category for the inspector to evaluate.
This is really a stupid situation.

bajarich - 12-12-2017 at 09:40 PM

My camper is registered in the State of Utah and does have a Vehicle Serial Number. It also has Utah State Sticker on the back with a registration number. It is also listed and paid for on our Mexican Insurance Policy.

elgatoloco - 12-12-2017 at 10:50 PM

Gross
Vehicle
Weight
Restriction
:saint: