BajaNomad

itinerary - is this too much?

chickenlicken - 12-18-2017 at 07:13 AM

We are planning a road trip from Tijuana to Los Cabos and not sure if are too ambitious with times. it's our first time there and we will be hiring car

Any advice on the below itinerary and parts we could add or cut would be really appreciated. would it be better to fly to baja south and rent car from there?

Thanks!

Day 1 - Arrive Tijuana or Ensenada
Day 2 drive to San Felipe
Day 3 - Drive to Bahia
Day 4 stay Bahia de Los Angeles
Day 5 - drive to San Ignacio
Day 6 Laguna San Ignacio
Day 7 - drive to Mulege
Day 8 - Mulege
Day 9 - drive Bahia Concepcion
Day 10 - drive to Loreto
Day 11 - drive to La Paz
Day 12 - La Paz
Day 13 - drive Los Cabos peninsular
Day 14 - Los Cabos peninsular
Day 15 - fly onwards

MMc - 12-18-2017 at 08:29 AM

This is your trip do what you want. It is very doable and will leave you time to play. It also gives you time to run longer one day if you find a place you really
like and want to stay extra a day. Go have fun.

[Edited on 12-18-2017 by MMc]

chrishaynesusa - 12-18-2017 at 08:36 AM

Fine trip.
Dont let some of the "Negative Nancy's" say otherwise.

DavidK has good advice here.
Some others not so much.

What ever you do ,.....dont listen to mtgoat666.
His advice is worthless(unless he says the sun comes up and goes down, even a broken clock is right twice a day).

MulegeAL - 12-18-2017 at 08:46 AM

ChickenL,
Suggest you plan your start times early to avoid driving at night and allowing you to see your daily destination better. I am assuming you are doing this trip soon. If later in the spring not so big a deal.

mtgoat666 - 12-18-2017 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chrishaynesusa  
Fine trip.

Some others not so much.

His advice is worthless(unless he says the sun comes up and goes down, even a broken clock is right twice a day).

:lol:
You have never been to baja and came here for advice to plan for first trip,... now you are an expert without ever having been!
Your opinion means nothing to no one!
:lol:

bkbend - 12-18-2017 at 09:09 AM

It is a lot to see and do and when you're done it may lot not seem like much of a vacation. That aside, it looks like your driving days are not too long and you have breaks built in making the trip entirely doable. It will give you a quick view of a lot of places and you can decide where you might want to concentrate future trips if you decide to return.

mtgoat666 - 12-18-2017 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chickenlicken  
We are planning a road trip from Tijuana to Los Cabos and not sure if are too ambitious with times. it's our first time there and we will be hiring car

Any advice on the below itinerary and parts we could add or cut would be really appreciated. would it be better to fly to baja south and rent car from there?

Thanks!

Day 1 - Arrive Tijuana or Ensenada
Day 2 drive to San Felipe
Day 3 - Drive to Bahia
Day 4 stay Bahia de Los Angeles
Day 5 - drive to San Ignacio
Day 6 Laguna San Ignacio
Day 7 - drive to Mulege
Day 8 - Mulege
Day 9 - drive Bahia Concepcion
Day 10 - drive to Loreto
Day 11 - drive to La Paz
Day 12 - La Paz
Day 13 - drive Los Cabos peninsular
Day 14 - Los Cabos peninsular
Day 15 - fly onwards

Doable itinerary.
My preference would be to skip san felipe and do catavina instead.

David K - 12-18-2017 at 09:58 AM

Hi chickenlicken,
Welcome to Nomad!

If your goal is to get as much of Baja covered in 2 weeks then it looks pretty close to do-able. You already have a rental car arranged (as you are flying away from Baja on Day 15)?

I wonder about the San Ignacio Lagoon day? Are you going to 'wing it' (being a chicken) that you can get on a whale watching boat ride (and then spend the night there or back in San Ignacio)?

My 2017 Trip Reports have almost all the peninsula sites covered if you want a look at what you may see there.

Avoiding the winding mountain roads and miles of farm and small-town traffic south of Ensenada is wise with your choice to drive across to San Felipe. Tha Cataviña boulder fields and cactus gardens you would miss are duplicated in other areas, such as the drive into Bahia de los Angeles.

Have a great time and please post back here in our Trip Reports forum when you get home or on the road during the trip!
Thank you!

basautter - 12-18-2017 at 10:35 AM

What a great agenda! I have done most of that drive. It's very doable and should not be too rushed. You may want to check out the metal rivet church in Santa Rosalia while passing through. Have fun!

motoged - 12-18-2017 at 12:07 PM

Fine trip.

Some others not so much.

Hey Chris....sounds like you are being a "Negative Nancy" here...
(a cute phrase for pre-schoolers.... :rolleyes: )... what gripe do you have with Goat....or you just piling on trying to fit in with the other bullies in this playground who always seem to need an underdog to focus their unhappiness on? :?:

TMW - 12-18-2017 at 12:21 PM

Goat and JJJ are the most worthless pieces of chit on this forum, in my opinion.

mtgoat666 - 12-18-2017 at 12:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Fine trip.

Some others not so much.

Hey Chris....sounds like you are being a "Negative Nancy" here...
(a cute phrase for pre-schoolers.... :rolleyes: )... what gripe do you have with Goat....or you just piling on trying to fit in with the other bullies in this playground who always seem to need an underdog to focus their unhappiness on? :?:

I’m not an underdog, I am the alpha dog. The sniping at me is just subordinate dogs desperately striving for alpha position they will never have :lol::lol::lol:

motoged - 12-18-2017 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Goat and JJJ are the most worthless pieces of chit on this forum, in my opinion.

And you know what they say about opinions :biggrin:

I am sure more will pile on before long

DaliDali - 12-18-2017 at 02:03 PM

Another nail hit squarely on the head.

I fully concur.

bajaguy - 12-18-2017 at 02:06 PM

Quite the accurate observation

willardguy - 12-18-2017 at 04:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

And you know what they say about opinions :biggrin:

I am sure more will pile on before long

sign me up! :yes:

Tioloco - 12-18-2017 at 05:06 PM

chicken-
Awesome itinerary! You wont be too rushed and should have a good idea of where to come back to next time. Enjoy :)

bajabuddha - 12-18-2017 at 05:43 PM

I didn't know chickens had tongues.... however, your plan is sound and totally doable but remember... itineraries don't have to be followed to a Tee. Leave room for toodles and lay-overs along the way. One thing about Baja is you're going to leave a piece of your heart in at least one place on your list. Plan on returning to retrieve it, and you may end up spending several days there anyway. I know I did on my first trip. Have fun and keep the board posted not only with your travels but ''change of plans''... i'm sure there'll be a few. CAUTION: Baja is very addictive.

chickenlicken - 12-19-2017 at 07:39 AM

Thanks a lot for your replies and tips. Glad to hear you think this is a good plan.

Can't wait!

Howard - 12-19-2017 at 09:22 AM

I will add my dos centavos here. I cannot approve or disapprove your itinerary until I hear what time of year you will be doing this.

Udo - 12-19-2017 at 12:22 PM

Your itinerary is very doable in the time frame you are wanting to do it, chikenlicken.

About 1-1/2 hours after San Ignacio, is the municipality of Santa Rosalia. It has the most famous bakery in Baja. Be sure to stop there. While at it you will need to see the copper church, and just South of the municipality is the prison. Stop there for an hour so so at the craft store. There are some very nice abalone craft items there that are not duplicated anywhere else in Baja. They have some very inexpensive prices.

If you wish to spend the night, there is the hotel El Morro. It sits atop a rocky cliff and has the waves breaking at its base. I don't remember if it has a restaurant there.

chickenlicken - 12-20-2017 at 05:09 AM

Thank you Udo, that sounds really good.

The trip is in Feb.