BajaNomad

FMM San Luis

ehines - 12-19-2017 at 04:37 PM

Does anyone know the office hours of the INM office when crossing at San Luis. We are planning to cross early in the morning (7am ish) to head to Santa Rosalia. Are there alternatives to getting the FMM another way if we cross before the office opens. We have a home in Puerto Penasco and I have never had to deal with a FMM before. Thanks

Bob and Susan - 12-19-2017 at 04:47 PM

you NEED to get your visa at the border

no tourist visas at santa rosalia recently

bajaguy - 12-19-2017 at 06:48 PM

If you have a home in Puerto Penasco you should have Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente status, not an FMM

Quote: Originally posted by ehines  
Does anyone know the office hours of the INM office when crossing at San Luis. We are planning to cross early in the morning (7am ish) to head to Santa Rosalia. Are there alternatives to getting the FMM another way if we cross before the office opens. We have a home in Puerto Penasco and I have never had to deal with a FMM before. Thanks

David K - 12-19-2017 at 07:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
If you have a home in Puerto Penasco you should have Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente status, not an FMM

True that!
FMM is for tourists, not property renters or owners.
However, rather than lecture you further... Let me just say that the INM office (the desk where you get the FMM) is "supposed" to be open the same hours as the border. If during odd times, search around for the officer, as they have been known to take siestas in past years!

ehines - 12-19-2017 at 07:41 PM

I guess I should have been clearer. (First time posting) By saying we have a house in Mexico i mean't my family has a house in Mexico. My father is the owner and has his permanent resident card. So he's in compliance. Since I'm not an owner I never needed one.

The only website I saw showed the office only open from 9 to 2 which is why I asked.

Another thought I had was to get the fmm when I cross the border in lukeville headed to Penasco for 180 days. Doing this sometime before my trip down towards Cabo. If I came back to the States and say was home for a few weeks then went on my trip do you think that would work as long as I was within my 180 days.

bajaguy - 12-19-2017 at 07:52 PM

Get the 180 day FMM, you will be good to go

I guess I should have been clearer. (First time posting) By saying we have a house in Mexico i mean't my family has a house in Mexico. My father is the owner and has his permanent resident card. So he's in compliance. Since I'm not an owner I never needed one.

The only website I saw showed the office only open from 9 to 2 which is why I asked.

Another thought I had was to get the fmm when I cross the border in lukeville headed to Penasco for 180 days. Doing this sometime before my trip down towards Cabo. If I came back to the States and say was home for a few weeks then went on my trip do you think that would work as long as I was within my 180 days.

David K - 12-19-2017 at 08:14 PM

Yes, we (my fellow Baja travel friends and I) have established that despite past rules and outdated Internet info, the land FMM 180 day tourist card is valid for repeat trips within the 180 days and does not have to be returned. If you fly, then no, single trip only.

surabi - 12-20-2017 at 09:43 PM

[/rquote]
FMM is for tourists, not property renters or owners.
However, rather than lecture you further... Let me just say that the INM office (the desk where you get the FMM) is "supposed" to be open the same hours as the border. If during odd times, search around for the officer, as they have been known to take siestas in past years![/rquote]

Totally incorrect, because you and all of the other posters here are using "FMM" as a synonym for "tourist visa".
An FMM is a Mexican Immigration form which all foreigners fill out when entering or leaving Mexico. If you are a tourist, it serves as your tourist visa. If you are a temporary or permanent resident, you fill it out and hand it in coming and going, as a resident (marking the appropriate boxes).
I realize Baja folks have some different rules and often just drive in and out without stopping if you have residency, but that is actually not how it works in the rest of Mexico, nor when folks are flying.

KasloKid - 12-20-2017 at 11:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Yes, we (my fellow Baja travel friends and I) have established that despite past rules and outdated Internet info, the land FMM 180 day tourist card is valid for repeat trips within the 180 days and does not have to be returned. If you fly, then no, single trip only.

To add some more confusion/clarity to the issue, I believe that one is not required to return the FMM only in Baja when driving, whereas mainland Mexico, you are required to surrender your FMM upon exiting the county to an INM office.
No matter what the rules are/aren't, I always return my FMM and get my passport stamped... no possible confusion or misinterpretation of the rules down the road.