BajaNomad

driving on the beach: Illegal?

caj13 - 2-2-2018 at 12:04 PM

So I have been told by everyone i have spoke to in Los Barriles (3 or 4 people at different times) that it is Ok to drive quads, SXS and vehicles on the beaches (around L.B.)

However in looking through old copies of BPE, apparently in July of last year, there was significant enforcement action by PROFEPA, of people riding quads on the beaches.

Reference was made that the only driving on the beach was to load or unload your boat.

So is this true? how serious if you get caught? what fine? How come rental companies are not disclosing this information,

or it really doesnt matter?

4x4abc - 2-2-2018 at 12:31 PM

it has never been legal to drive on the beach for leisure in Mexico. When few people lived in Baja, nobody cared. Now it's getting crowded. peeed off home owners (fellow expats) might call the authorities. You might get hefty ticket while Mexicans won't. Because you have money! PROFEPA is especially nasty. They might even confiscate your vehicle. And don't expect to ever see it again.

bajagrouper - 2-2-2018 at 12:39 PM

It does not matter if tearing up turtle nests does not bother you or destroying ground nesting birds does not matter...It is a federal law, no motorized vehicles on beaches in Mexico...Probably could fine you and confiscate vehicle..

gnukid - 2-2-2018 at 01:34 PM

The beach area is divided into defined zones, tidal zone, federal zone, concessions and properties, there are also defined roads along the beach where you can drive and park. In LB were the beach is very wide there is a defined road along the high side next to properties, below the concessions where people do drive, but you should not drive into the federal zone or tidal zone unless you are in a launch area where you are launching such as by Verdugos. It is preferred to park above in designated spots such as exotic kite or the north arroyo road.

caj13 - 2-2-2018 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajagrouper  
It does not matter if tearing up turtle nests does not bother you or destroying ground nesting birds does not matter...It is a federal law, no motorized vehicles on beaches in Mexico...Probably could fine you and confiscate vehicle..

probably ought to back off the passive aggresive accusations my friend. That is not what this is about, stop projecting nefarious or ignorant objectives to a perfectly innocent question.

says the guy who has spent 35 years studying and protecting various rare, endangered cites listed etc species across the planet!

mtgoat666 - 2-2-2018 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
So I have been told by everyone i have spoke to in Los Barriles (3 or 4 people at different times) that it is Ok to drive quads, SXS and vehicles on the beaches (around L.B.)

However in looking through old copies of BPE, apparently in July of last year, there was significant enforcement action by PROFEPA, of people riding quads on the beaches.

Reference was made that the only driving on the beach was to load or unload your boat.

So is this true? how serious if you get caught? what fine? How come rental companies are not disclosing this information,

Is it illegal? Yes.

Is it enforced? Some places, yes. Many places, no.

Are you an a$$hat for driving on the beach, even though you know it to be illegal, but you do it because “everybody else does” and “it’s Mexico?” Yes.

Don’t be an a$$hat!

Tioloco - 2-2-2018 at 02:32 PM

I would like to see the specific Mexican federal statute that makes it illegal to drive on the beach.

willardguy - 2-2-2018 at 02:52 PM

lets see...who is the self proclaimed king of beach driving here? the shell island locals adore him! :D

mtgoat666 - 2-2-2018 at 03:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
In some cases, the beach is the only corridor to reach places where people go, work, live. I traveled the Seven Sisters coast last year and have seen villages / fish camps that require driving on the flat, hard sand beach to reach. No animals are harmed.

Another point is that vehicles with correct tire pressure for sand are actually less damaging than humans walking on the same beach.

Obviously, where people are enjoying the beach (like around towns and cities) or turtle eggs are nested or terns have egg nests, it would be kind and wise to stay off those beaches in cars or quads.

Love the animals, two legs or more!

Tern

Tern nest discovered a day after our camp was set up. The mama and our nearby camp cohabitated fine. Nature is not always as fragile as some think. It has survived far longer than humans have!

The term nest is a good example of why you should not drive on beach.
I suspect if you camped next to the tern nest that you caused enough stress to bird that eggs were improperly incubated and eggs did not hatch.

Sometimes walking is better (for your own health, and the wildlife’s health).

It is an idiotic statement to say auto tires are safer on beach than footprints.

[Edited on 2-2-2018 by mtgoat666]

sancho - 2-2-2018 at 03:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
lets see...who is the self proclaimed king of beach driving here? the shell island locals adore him!

Apparently as long as one air' s down it's OK driving on
the Playa. Have always believed with the illegal theory, unless
you have a Panga attached to the Toy Truck. Mex written law?
come on

bajatrailrider - 2-2-2018 at 03:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Is it illegal? Yes.

Is it enforced? Some places, yes. Many places, no.

Are you an a$$hat for driving on the beach, even though you know it to be illegal, but you do it because “everybody else does” and “it’s Mexico?” Yes.

Don’t be an a$$hat![/ :bounce: No your the ass hole retard from San Diego. We ride the beach don't like it stay home ass hole. :bounce: Matter of fact me and a whole group riding the beach tomorrow . By the way two of them are Ensenada cops tell them about :bounce:

David K - 2-2-2018 at 03:50 PM

The tern as fine, her eggs were fine, she was with them when we left. They were on a sand dune where nobody but knuckledraggers on quads might drive.

blackwolfmt - 2-2-2018 at 03:52 PM

yeah Larry I luv that beach riden vid you have, gotta get down there ASAP:bounce:

JZ - 2-2-2018 at 04:03 PM

Nothing better than flying down a beach on a bike. We do it as often as possible.

Gringos should leave their gringo rules in the US. Mexicans dgaf.

chuckie - 2-2-2018 at 05:43 PM

About what one could expect from a defective....Jizzy? STUPID

woody with a view - 2-2-2018 at 08:43 PM

Some responses here are such typical garbage. Meth, automatic weapons and murder for hire are illegal as well. Nobody is rushing to stop any of that ina concerted effort.

Just do what feels right.

motoged - 2-3-2018 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Some responses here are such typical garbage. ....

Just do what feels right.

Some folks don't use common sense....cuz they don't have any....

Interesting to see DK accusing off-roaders of being knuckledraggers :biggrin:

David K - 2-3-2018 at 12:44 PM

If they drive over brush-covered sand dunes on quads (or anything else), they are!

motoged - 2-3-2018 at 01:00 PM

David,
Suggesting that vehicle traffic on sensitive ground is less damaging than foot traffic is disingenuous....and "fake news"....despite your footprint/tire track photo....

You know I enjoy riding the dez....

but..... such logic doesn't float/fly.....it barely crawls :light:

4x4abc - 2-3-2018 at 01:37 PM

so, does walking on the beach cause damage?

deflated tires do less of whatever your answer is

it's purely academic, but nonetheless true

David might be smarter than you thought he is

now back to Fox news
is Trump doing more damage than Hilary would have?
any answer will be true because there is no science involved

since I don't have TV, I will have a Margarita

chuckie - 2-3-2018 at 03:09 PM

Good plan...

willardguy - 2-3-2018 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
David,
Suggesting that vehicle traffic on sensitive ground is less damaging than foot traffic is disingenuous....and "fake news"....despite your footprint/tire track photo....

You know I enjoy riding the dez....

but..... such logic doesn't float/fly.....it barely crawls :light:

remember...David was the one that told us baseball bats kill more people every year than guns....remember that one?:lol:

David K - 2-3-2018 at 06:48 PM

I don't play baseball. A bullet goes further than my swing! Don't you have any better ammunition than that? Go Eagles!

rts551 - 2-3-2018 at 08:01 PM

You guys can kill a legitimate question faster than deflated tires can squash tern eggs.

4x4abc - 2-3-2018 at 09:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
You guys can kill a legitimate question faster than deflated tires can squash tern eggs.

yes, Nomads are quite talented

Bigoly0211 - 2-4-2018 at 05:30 AM

That bird is a Wilson's Plover. Spends much of it's time running around near the surf.

David K - 2-4-2018 at 07:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bigoly0211  
That bird is a Wilson's Plover. Spends much of it's time running around near the surf.

Awesome information! Nice to know, thank you.

SunDevil - 2-4-2018 at 07:27 AM

Last Nov 2017 we were in LB for a few days and people do ride quads on the beach.

There is a well defined trail close to the beach houses that the majority on quads use.

Where the beach is very wide there is also a trail close to the water that some people use if they are looking for a place to swim or fish.

I think it was Jimmy at Can-Doo quad rentals that said that one of the towns south of LB, maybe Spa Buena Vista, doesn't want people riding quads on the beach. They sometimes issue tickets and confiscate quads.

Everyone that travels to Mexico is contributing to the degradation of the environment in some way. Your trash, sewage, hotel, vehicle, and even your footprints, they all do something that would not happen if you stayed away. You can try to make up for it by picking up litter, contributing to some worthy cause, or b-tching at others on the internet that don't follow your advice. However, if you really want to protect Baja as much as humanly possible, you should probably just stay home.

blackwolfmt - 2-4-2018 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Go Eagles!

Yeah Dk GO EAGLES:spingrin:

woody with a view - 2-4-2018 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SunDevil  

Everyone that travels to Mexico is contributing to the degradation of the environment in some way. Your trash, sewage, hotel, vehicle, and even your footprints, they all do something that would not happen if you stayed away. You can try to make up for it by picking up litter, contributing to some worthy cause, or b-tching at others on the internet that don't follow your advice. However, if you really want to protect Baja as much as humanly possible, you should probably just stay home.

Not directed at anyone in particular, especially the quoted SunDevil :
Yeah, and contribute to your own local cesspool..... 7+BILLION humans on the earth and nobody has the courage to stick their necks out to ask, "How many is enough?" Until then stop preaching to me for enjoying the best of what I can afford!

sancho - 2-4-2018 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SunDevil  

Everyone that travels to Mexico is contributing to the degradation of the environment in some way. Your trash, sewage, hotel, vehicle, and even your footprints, they all do something that would not happen if you stayed away. You can try to make up for it by picking up litter, contributing to some worthy cause

I don't believe that is preaching, nor suggesting anyone
change their behavior, appreciate the comment

Do Your Part !

MrBillM - 2-4-2018 at 02:58 PM

Every day that we live results in degradation to the environment.

Those (unlike me) who are truly concerned should Do the RIGHT Thing and exit the herd.

Once the remains are incinerated (hopefully, using clean natural gas) one more destructive cycle will come to an end. Eventually, the numbers may add up to a significant level.

Or not, but ................... "What the Hell ?"

ncampion - 2-4-2018 at 03:01 PM

Can you provide this reference? I often launch my tin boat in front on my house with my quad and am never sure if this is strictly legal or not. I've never been told not to and Mexican locals do it all the time. Thanks

yumawill - 2-5-2018 at 01:00 PM

If it's between driving on the beach. And consuming what is in the above photo(view included). I'm going to have to go with the photo. And I admit to driving on the occasional beach. But just far enough to get to the photo.