BajaNomad

Mexican Post office Help

Bruce R Leech - 2-7-2018 at 03:13 PM

I am wondering If anyone else In other cities are no longer getting mail delivery or mail at all from the Mexican Post office? or is it just here in Ensenada. we have not received Mail service since last August.:?:

[Edited on 2-8-2018 by Bruce R Leech]

Special Ed - 2-7-2018 at 03:29 PM

Is there even a postal service or FedEx? I've been living in Playas de TJ for a while and still have no idea how to get mail here...

David K - 2-7-2018 at 03:30 PM

Maybe your mail is still going to Mulegé??? ;)

Hope you are doing well... don't see you much on Nomad!

Bruce R Leech - 2-7-2018 at 03:39 PM

we have been gettin mail regular as clock work for 10 years. there is something very strange going on, there is a mountain of big bags of mail behind the post office and it gets bigger every day. none of the delivery vehicles have moved.

bajaguy - 2-7-2018 at 05:46 PM

They laid off or fired most of the Post Office staff in Ensenada last year...........I think only 4 or 5 are still working there

Quote: Originally posted by Bruce R Leech  
we have been gettin mail regular as clock work for 10 years. there is something very strange going on, there is a mountain of big bags of mail behind the post office and it gets bigger every day. none of the delivery vehicles have moved.

bajaguy - 2-7-2018 at 05:48 PM

Fed-Ex, UPS and DHL are all active. Not sure about the status of the Mexican Post Office in TJ

Quote: Originally posted by Special Ed  
Is there even a postal service or FedEx? I've been living in Playas de TJ for a while and still have no idea how to get mail here...

Bruce R Leech - 2-7-2018 at 10:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
They laid off or fired most of the Post Office staff in Ensenada last year...........I think only 4 or 5 are still working there

Quote: Originally posted by Bruce R Leech  

I wonder if it is just Ensenada or everywhere? they also closed the branch offices, only the one downtown is open now.

BajaBlanca - 2-8-2018 at 02:51 AM

We are here in la paz and the post office is working just fine.

Where we live in tiny little La Bocana, the postal delivery is fine.

I can ask around to see if anyone has any info on Ensenada.

weebray - 2-8-2018 at 10:25 AM

Worldwide the postal service is basically an antiquated dinosaur plagued by nepotism, politics and indifferent staff. It will be another fondly remembered relic in not too many years. That being said, here in La Paz, it still kinda works albeit REAL slowly. It helps the cartero remember where you live if a small propina passes his way when he actually does show up. The only caveat being that if you have two packages he will deliver them on separate days. Incidentally, they have never lost one package in many years. The slowest deliver we ever got was 5 1/2 months. If you get a tracking number (you should) you can track any package worldwide here: https://t.17track.net/en#nums=RY908412174SG

Bruce R Leech - 2-8-2018 at 04:25 PM

thanks o you guys for info. you cant track letters, and the only thing that maters to me is receiving the letters that social security send to me to confirm my address once or twice a year. with out that they wont deposit my money. each month.it has been 4 months since I have had a deposit and I am getting hungry. I have a US mail forwarding service for other things.

Bruce

[Edited on 2-10-2018 by Bruce R Leech]

Hook - 2-8-2018 at 04:38 PM

I believe they closed the post office in San Carlos, Sonora, too. No one was using it. Even CFE and the water company had their own employees delivering the monthly bill.

[Edited on 2-8-2018 by Hook]

Bob and Susan - 2-8-2018 at 04:41 PM

be careful bruce...im pretty sure you need to live in the usa for ssi payments

Bruce R Leech - 2-8-2018 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

You are kidding, right?
We pay into the thing and if we should live long enough to get any of it back we can't get it if we don't live in the USA?
I think I know too many who live in Baja and do so because that is where they can on their SSI checks.

social security will even deposit in to your Mexican bank account. there are 120 countries they will send to. But mine goes to my Colorado bank.

[Edited on 2-10-2018 by Bruce R Leech]

bajaguy - 2-8-2018 at 07:46 PM

There is a difference between "Social Security" and "SSI"

SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income. Social Security administers this program. We pay monthly benefits to people with limited income and resources who are disabled, blind, or age 65 or older. Blind or disabled children may also get SSI.

In addition, to get SSI, you must also:

Reside in the United States or the Northern Mariana Islands;

Not be absent from the country for a full calendar month or more or for 30 consecutive days or more; and

Be either a U.S. citizen or national, or in one of certain categories of qualified non–citizens.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-over-ussi.htm

Bruce R Leech - 2-8-2018 at 09:17 PM

Social Security sorry I wrote SSI, I earned it:bounce:

Bruce R Leech - 2-10-2018 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

sorry Bob I ment social security. I don't and never will receive ssi