BajaNomad

Repatriating a US vehicle with expired plates

Hook - 2-22-2018 at 04:57 PM

I am going to bring my 2005 Jeep north of the border in about a month to transfer title and registration from South Dakota to Idaho. The license plate on it is still South Dakota and it will be expired by about six months.

Unlike South Dakota, Idaho requires that a vehicle being titled and registered in Idaho, for the first time, to be taken to a DMV office in Idaho. They want a visual inspection to make sure the VIN on the vehicle matches the existing paperwork. SD never required this.

In any event, has anyone heard of CBP officials denying entry into the US due to expired plates?

imlost - 2-22-2018 at 05:57 PM

Why not renew the registration in SD? It's pretty inexpensive. Then you'll be legal for your trip north. I'm betting the Clay County Treasurer's dept would email you a copy of your renewed registration for proof. I'd ask them - they're really nice.

chippy - 2-22-2018 at 05:59 PM

Unless you have warrants or on a list when they run your plates you should be fine. I used to cross with my suburban that had been non oped for 10 years and never got any hassles at the border. Different story with the CHP.

bajaguy - 2-22-2018 at 07:39 PM

Can you get a temporary movement permit from Idaho??

Hook - 2-22-2018 at 09:18 PM

I'm thinking a black Sharpie would turn a 17 into an 18 pretty easily! :o

Seriously, awaiting word from Idaho on how to proceed. Mostly worried about the border...... which seems like a non-issue. There is nothing on the CPB website about it in the automobiles section.

RnR - 2-23-2018 at 07:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Mostly worried about the border...... which seems like a non-issue. There is nothing on the CPB website about it in the automobiles section.

The expired registration at the border is not an issue. It is not CPB's job. Vehicle registration is a state issue, not federal.

I have crossed twice with a trailer that had expired registrations. Once, no comment from CBP. The other time, the officer asked me if I knew that the registration was expired. "Yes". And we were on our way.

Your issue is state enforcement between the border and Idaho.

Maybe a movement permit from Idaho is the answer ...

Hook - 2-23-2018 at 08:23 AM

Well, I think I am going to take my chances for the three days we are on the road to Idaho. I will be towing a utility trailer with my registered truck and I will just put the wife in the Jeep ahead of me. I think it very unlikely that a peace officer would recognize the expired color of a SD tag, since we are only going through AZ and NV. ID says no problem with the expiration when I get to a DMV.