BajaNomad

Puerto Nuevo (Vizcaino peninsula)

wilderone - 2-24-2018 at 08:20 AM

Has anyone driven to this Puerto Nuevo recently? It's a turnoff from the road to Bahia Tortugas, 9 mi. I have some notes about some eco-cabanas in the mountains; likely find a beachside camping spot and explore the coast - shore fishing, fossils? Worth the drive? Road OK for a Honda CRV?

Udo - 2-24-2018 at 08:25 AM

It really is worth the drive of just a handful of miles from the Vizcaino-Tortugas road.

The cabins are very primitive, but extremely clean. The view from the cliff is to die for!

There are two signs for the Puerto Nuevo camp on the main road. They are in color and easily seen.

The fishing is outstanding there, and you are welcome to bring a kayak.

Bajaboy - 2-24-2018 at 08:28 AM

You need to call in advance if you want to stay at Rancho Tangiolote. We stayed there some years back and loved it. I have the number but I think at our casita in Baja.

As for beachside camping, talk with the local vigilantes and let them know you plan on camping. There is an easy access to Tordilla via a well used arroyo. This beach is a long, beautiful sandy beach....one of our favorites.

[Edited on 2-24-2018 by Bajaboy]

BajaBlanca - 2-24-2018 at 09:00 AM

We have stayed with Marcos a number of times and the last time, the pool was not is such good shape ... which is not an issue now since the weather is too cool for swimming anyways.

He was brother in law to one of our bestest friends who has since passed away. Mario once insisted on giving Rex his own cabin when we took him LOL He said the coyotes might come for him.

In the summer, sitting in the pool in the evenings with a glass of wine was incredible. We took meat to exchange for lobsters ... heaven!

I did many a report on the area but since the photos are not available any more due to the photo bucket change, they ain't gonna help here.

FOUND THE CONTACT # Puerto Nuevo, BCS = 615 158-0262 for reservations

[Edited on 2-24-2018 by BajaBlanca]

wilderone - 2-24-2018 at 09:32 AM

Awesome - thanks a bunch. Might bring my blow-up kayak now. Looking forward to exploring this area.

chavycha - 2-24-2018 at 09:41 AM

Don't know about your timing but may want to hold off a bit if you're thinking of visiting soon... the wind the past week on the peninsula has been FIERCE. It's 9:30am and it's already howling in Asuncion.

It's forecast to continue for the next week at minimum.

On the other hand, chartering a panga to retrieve your windblown tent, kayak, cooler, dog, etc. from a couple miles offshore would make a good Baja story...

[Edited on 2-24-2018 by chavycha]

David K - 2-24-2018 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
We have stayed with Marcos a number of times and the last time, the pool was not is such good shape ... which is not an issue now since the weather is too cool for swimming anyways.

He was brother in law to one of our bestest friends who has since passed away. Mario once insisted on giving Rex his own cabin when we took him LOL He said the coyotes might come for him.

In the summer, sitting in the pool in the evenings with a glass of wine was incredible. We took meat to exchange for lobsters ... heaven!

I did many a report on the area but since the photos are not available any more due to the photo bucket change, they ain't gonna help here.

FOUND THE CONTACT # Puerto Nuevo, BCS = 615 158-0262 for reservations

[Edited on 2-24-2018 by BajaBlanca]

Blanca, a Photobucket solution has been provided for those who browse using Firefox or Chrome. Please give the link to your photos. Here is the Photobucket fix, and it works great!: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88714

Here the map I made of the region being discussed:

Sign at the turnoff:

wilderone - 2-24-2018 at 12:39 PM

Coming down mid-March. Yes, I'll have to consider each day according to weather as always. If it's blowing, tie the tent to the car and hunker down with a paperback (not a Kindle!!). Ha!

willardguy - 2-24-2018 at 01:51 PM

coming back from punta eugenia there's an upper road that follows the rugged coast ending at a building made out of pallets, signaling a straight down cliff that appears to be about a mile down. couple of beaches accessible for camping along this road and just full of hungry flatfish.