BajaNomad

Campos north of San Felipe?

gringorio - 2-24-2018 at 10:31 AM

Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend and offer relatively current information on campos north of San Felipe that have restrooms, showers and palapas for shade/parking/camping?

Gracias!

David K - 2-24-2018 at 10:34 AM

In this thread, just yesterday, I posted the list of campos and photos of some, too: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=89575

gringorio - 2-24-2018 at 07:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
In this thread, just yesterday, I posted the list of campos and photos of some, too: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=89575

Thanks David! I missed that and will now check it out.

Pappy Jon - 2-25-2018 at 10:17 AM

I've stayed at Pete's Camp.

mtgoat666 - 2-25-2018 at 11:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gringorio  
Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend and offer relatively current information on campos north of San Felipe that have restrooms, showers and palapas for shade/parking/camping?

Gracias!

Warning: the beaches north of san Felipe are wide mudflats, go further south if you want good beaches.

David K - 2-25-2018 at 12:25 PM

Have you been there? Wet sand is not mud.

There is a sloping beach of sand that is partly to totally covered by high tide (depending on the phase of the moon). Then there is the flat bottom that seemingly goes out miles at low tide. There are sandbars that are slightly higher above the water draining out of the sloping beach.

Mud is common in lagoon areas and is not off all the beach strip north of San Felipe. If you step in mud, you sink! Sandbars are solid for walking easily and looking for sand dollars or other shells.

Here is the beach near high tide, about 10 miles north of San Felipe. Nice sand.:

At low tide at another campo north of town, note the sandbars:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a 10-hour time-lapse video of the tide on its way out then returning to the high point to give an idea of the power of the sea with the moon pulling on it!: Video of Sea of Cortez tide change
Filmed last May, 20 miles south of San Felipe.

mtgoat666 - 2-25-2018 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Have you been there? Wet sand is not mud.

There is a sloping beach of sand that is partly to totally covered by high tide (depending on the phase of the moon). Then there is the flat bottom that seemingly goes out miles at low tide. There are sandbars that are slightly higher above the water draining out of the sloping beach.

Mud is common in lagoon areas and is not off all the beach strip north of San Felipe. If you step in mud, you sink! Sandbars are solid for walking easily and looking for sand dollars or other shells.

Here is the beach near high tide, about 10 miles north of San Felipe. Nice sand.:

At low tide at another campo north of town, note the sandbars:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a 10-hour time-lapse video of the tide on its way out then returning to the high point to give an idea of the power of the sea with the moon pulling on it!: Video of Sea of Cortez tide change
Filmed last May, 20 miles south of San Felipe.

You call it sand. I call it mud. Have you ever noticed the water is brown?

David K - 2-25-2018 at 12:40 PM

Only near the Tijuana River estuary by Imperial Beach!

JZ - 2-25-2018 at 01:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Warning: the beaches north of san Felipe are wide mudflats, go further south if you want good beaches.

Agree. Beaches around SF are terrible. Baja begins well South of there.

gringorio - 2-27-2018 at 12:19 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! I've kayaked from San Felipe to El Golfo so am aware of the various 'beach' conditions :o. I'm actually looking to get some aerials of the small estuaries we passed through and by on that kayak trip. :bounce: