BajaNomad

Photobucket buyer beware

Ken Cooke - 4-27-2018 at 05:32 PM

I paid $99 (one-time) to open my blocked Photobucket images (with remote image linking) on this site earlier this week to breathe life back into my Baja Nomad threads, and surprisingly, nothing happened. I can comfortably state that Photobucket will not see anymore of my money.:light:

Link 1 - no image opens on thread
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86944

Link 2 - no image opens on the thread
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=82643

Link 3 - no image opens on the thread
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=84334

Buyer beware :!:

David K - 4-27-2018 at 05:38 PM

I see your photos in the linked threads fine, Ken. Reboot!
I also thought I told you that the first level up from free allowed photo hosting. TW tried it first then I did... $49, as I recall?

willardguy - 4-27-2018 at 05:45 PM

I don't see em?

Sandlefoot - 4-27-2018 at 05:52 PM

I just checked, don't see them. Maybe Photobucket only lets other users see them!!!

4x4abc - 4-27-2018 at 06:11 PM

you only see images when you are a paying bucket member

BajaBlanca - 4-27-2018 at 06:22 PM

Really? If you pay and post your photos, still no one else can see them?

chuckie - 4-27-2018 at 06:40 PM

Aye, that seems to be the way it works

willardguy - 4-27-2018 at 07:00 PM

but wait...we see all of davids???

mtgoat666 - 4-27-2018 at 07:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
but wait...we see all of davids???

35,000 pictures of a toyota Tacoma! The 2nd most-photographed single car in the world. Only the popemobile has been photographed more!

But, seriously, check out some of the free photo-hosting options...

[Edited on 4-28-2018 by mtgoat666]

JZ - 4-27-2018 at 07:32 PM

Let's see if mine is working. Wife and kid.

msteve1014 - 4-27-2018 at 07:39 PM

See yours fine. Do not see Ken's.

Ken Cooke - 4-27-2018 at 08:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I see your photos in the linked threads fine, Ken. Reboot!
I also thought I told you that the first level up from free allowed photo hosting. TW tried it first then I did... $49, as I recall?

Not only did I reboot, but I went from my Android-based mobile phone to my laptop, and still no images - just the words, "..is this your photo? Please upgrade your Photobucket account to enable 3rd party hosting."

No, I'm not delusional. I was jipped.

Ken Cooke - 4-27-2018 at 08:42 PM

David,

I think you need to review their new pricing.
http://s50.photobucket.com/plans/

Had I paid $399.99 for their MOST POPULAR hosting package, perhaps I would be able to enjoy 3rd party hosting. TW might want to review his bank statements to make sure that he is not paying $39.99/MONTH for this "most popular" photo hosting package as this is possibly the package that he mistakenly elected to subscribe to. I wouldn't be surprised as the pricing chart will mislead you into spending more than you would likely spend.

NO THANKS, PHOTOBUCKET!:!:

[Edited on 4-28-2018 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 4-28-2018 at 07:21 AM

Again, TW and I went over all this last October (I think it was) we both got the Plus 50 plan and they gave a discount to me based on something I can't remember now... I also posted the Photobucket Fix that works if you use Chrome or Firefox:

Posted by Jaybo last January:

Quote: Originally posted by Jaybo  
There are currently some browser add-ons available for Firefox and Chrome to let you once again see those images.

Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-e...

Chrome :
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/photobucket%20fix

(There are no guarantees these will continue to work as Photobucket could make changes at anytime to cause them to break. Also note if the member who posted in the thread your viewing has since deleted his or her account with Photobucket, there is no way to get the images back.)

Ken, just contact Photobucket to get it fixed. I had to for something and it worked.

[Edited on 4-28-2018 by David K]

Ken, this is what I see this morning at your first link:

David K - 4-28-2018 at 07:28 AM

Ken Photobucket.jpg - 185kB

Ken Cooke - 4-28-2018 at 07:59 AM

I will give it a try, David. Thanks!

Fourwheeling in Tecate, 2007

PaulW - 4-28-2018 at 08:06 AM

Ken, Data point:
I opened your 3 links and your photos showed up just fine.
I no longer participate in Photobucket because I have never paid them anything.

Browser?

AKgringo - 4-28-2018 at 08:13 AM

Paul, what browser do you use to view this forum? I use Microsoft Edge, and none of Ken's links work for me.

ehall - 4-28-2018 at 08:15 AM

I can see them if i click on the photobucket warning.

AKgringo - 4-28-2018 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
I can see them if i click on the photobucket warning.

That works for me too! I suppose I can put up with the pop-up and other ads.

David K - 4-28-2018 at 08:23 AM

I see the Jeep on granite showing axle flex, Ken.

PaulW - 4-28-2018 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Paul, what browser do you use to view this forum? I use Microsoft Edge, and none of Ken's links work for me.

=
I should have mentioned I use Chrome. Maybe I added the FIX from the old thread to chrome link back in January, but I do not remember.

David K - 4-28-2018 at 08:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Do you see my maps and photos? They are mostly hosted on Photobucket. Some that are under 250 kb are hosted on Nomad and a few I used PostImg.org.

Ken Cooke - 4-28-2018 at 09:16 AM

For the $100 I paid, I shouldn't have ads (I still do), and these images should display without clicking links that show that I didn't pay to upgrade. Wait, thats only $300.00 more. :light:

JZ - 4-28-2018 at 09:26 AM

They don't show up. So your account isn't working right.

They might show for some who have installed that hack to see images from free PB accounts.

[Edited on 4-28-2018 by JZ]

David K - 4-28-2018 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
For the $100 I paid, I shouldn't have ads (I still do), and these images should display without clicking links that show that I didn't pay to upgrade. Wait, thats only $300.00 more. :light:

Ken the new service has obviously not connected for you yet. There are no pop up ads if you pay any amount level. Just contact them and get it fixed. The free Photobucket is terrible and makes the site useless with all the pop up ads it has. Once I sign on (and I have to each day I go to Photobucket) all the adds vanish and I can use my albums to add photos to.

norte - 4-28-2018 at 10:32 AM

I have to wonder why you guys continue with this photo struggle.. Push to have the forum updated or migrate to his facebook page.

David K - 4-28-2018 at 11:23 AM

Some here enjoy sharing with others and a whole lot of people enjoy Nomad for the great photos and trip reports.

Facebook is not user-friendly when it comes to finding past posts, but it is good for photos. There is already a Nomad Facebook page.

I also have three Facebook pages, one for my family and friends stuff, one for my book and other M&E history books, and a newer 'group' page for my book as an easy way to interact with others interested in the historic sites of Baja California: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1685520784824763/

BajaGringo - 4-28-2018 at 11:28 AM

I don't see it either Ken...

Ken Cooke Photobucket.jpg - 27kB

David K - 4-28-2018 at 11:55 AM

Just proof that Ken does not have the updated link to his photos because the rest of us who have paid for Photobucket hosting see his new photos fine. If you browse on Chrome or Firefox, the Photobucket fix works great and doesn't cost you a cent. Ken, contact Photobucket as you paid but have not yet been upgraded, otherwise, you would see the photos fine.
The same post that Ron posted, for me and others looks like this:

Ken Photobucket.jpg - 185kB

TMW - 4-28-2018 at 12:20 PM

I paid 59.99 for Photobucket with Pay Pal in Nov of 2017.

[Edited on 4-28-2018 by TMW]

rts551 - 4-28-2018 at 01:56 PM

Have to agree with you Norte. And with the new ability to assign posts to topics...those that find it inconvenient to search for a given area of interest can now go to topics such as "trip reports". This does mean change though, which some people are uncomfortable with.

JZ - 4-28-2018 at 02:45 PM

Just proof that Ken does not have the updated link to his photos because the rest of us who have paid for Photobucket hosting see his new photos fine. If you browse on Chrome or Firefox, the Photobucket fix works great and doesn't cost you a cent. Ken, contact Photobucket as you paid but have not yet been upgraded, otherwise, you would see the photos fine.

This post doesn't make any sense.

David K - 4-28-2018 at 04:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

This post doesn't make any sense.

If Ken cannot see what I see and what I posted (his Jeep photo), then he is not connected yet to his upgraded Photobucket.

JZ - 4-28-2018 at 04:34 PM

If Ken cannot see what I see and what I posted (his Jeep photo), then he is not connected yet to his upgraded Photobucket.

This is false. I can't see it either and my PB never went out because I've always had a paid account.

You can see it because you put that script hack in your browser that lets you see photos that PB is blocking from sites.

His account isn't upgraded yet, obviously, but it has nothing to do with what you can see and what he can see.

[Edited on 4-28-2018 by JZ]

David K - 4-28-2018 at 04:40 PM

OK, well, then my original reply is valid, that he is not yet upgraded otherwise he could see it. I also had a paid account before, but it was the lowest level at $29.95 which they ended last year. If his photo was not posted then I couldn't see it. I don't know why you can't see it, however.

JZ - 4-28-2018 at 04:42 PM

I don't know why you can't see it, however.

I didn't install the script into my browser to see images from free PB accounts.

[Edited on 4-29-2018 by JZ]

joerover - 4-28-2018 at 05:25 PM

no photos bucket
bucket of no photos

somebody check out adobe photo shop and see if they can give you a link for $10 a month
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

or

what are the other sights to host photos for internet viewing.
as
no photos bucket turned out to be a scam

[Edited on 4-29-2018 by joerover]

mtgoat666 - 4-28-2018 at 06:47 PM

I am surprised that so many here are angry because photobucket will not provide free 3rd party hosting. Photobucket has great costs providing all that storage, and they can only make money from ads or user fees. In the case of 3rd party hosting, ads are not feasible (for example, how would PB show their own ads on nomad website?), so they reasonably charge a fee if you want 3rd party hosting.
Quit whining. You want free 3rd party hosting, then write your congressman and demand that the library of congress provide internet archive for pictures of your toyota tacoma, cats and wife’s boobs!

JZ - 4-28-2018 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I am surprised that so many here are angry because photobucket will not provide free 3rd party hosting. Photobucket has great costs providing all that storage, and they can only make money from ads or user fees. In the case of 3rd party hosting, ads are not feasible (for example, how would PB show their own ads on nomad website?), so they reasonably charge a fee if you want 3rd party hosting.
Quit whining. You want free 3rd party hosting, then write your congressman and demand that the library of congress provide internet archive for pictures of your toyota tacoma, cats and wife’s boobs!

They went from free to fairly expensive w/o a good communication plan in advance.

They get an F for customer marketing, but I do agree they should charge something.

Here's another shot of the wife's boobs for ya.

[Edited on 4-29-2018 by JZ]

Ken Cooke - 4-28-2018 at 11:33 PM

Browsing a Jeep forum, low and behold the same exact topic pops up while looking at photos of stretched Wranglers. It was explained in a different way - If you are using a Chrome Browser...add the "Photobucket Hotlink Fix" extension. Works awesome to view the pics that are replaced with that stupid "3rd Party Hosting" image.

Hmm, that shouldn't be difficult, and it shouldn't have cost me $100 for not even having the ability to have 3rd party hosting!

BajaGringo - 4-29-2018 at 08:35 AM

Facebook is not user-friendly when it comes to finding past posts, but it is good for photos.

You are quite correct about Facebook being a great tool for uploading and storing photos and videos David but you are quite mistaken about it not being user-friendly.

Facebook continues to upgrade and apparently you haven't noticed that they recently rolled out some new tools to help identify the different topics and make it easier to later locate threads with the specific topic you are looking for.

When creating a post, simply click on the ADD TOPIC box where you can choose from a drop down selection of topics - you can choose multiple topics if applicable that best identify your post subject before you publish your post. It's just like selecting which sub-forum to post here on Nomad with the added benefit that your post can be viewed in multiple topic groups at the same time. On the old forum based software you are limited to selecting just a single sub-forum and as you well know, often a thread subject may cover multiple topics.

To search for a specific subject, all a user needs to do is simply click on the topic that they are interested in at the top of our group page and your group newsfeed instantly populates with a history of the posts tagged with your selected subject matter.

Quite easy and very user-friendly.

Currently only the most recent posts are tagged but I am in the process of working back and now topic tagging the older posts which should quickly build a much larger database and make facebook groups a much more useful tool for everyone to use.

Saludos...

Topic 03.jpg - 53kB

Udo - 4-29-2018 at 08:52 AM

I had no idea that this was available on BF.

Thanks for the insight!

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  

Facebook is not user-friendly when it comes to finding past posts, but it is good for photos.

You are quite correct about Facebook being a great tool for uploading and storing photos and videos David but you are quite mistaken about it not being user-friendly.

Facebook continues to upgrade and apparently you haven't noticed that they recently rolled out some new tools to help identify the different topics and make it easier to later locate threads with the specific topic you are looking for.

When creating a post, simply click on the ADD TOPIC box where you can choose from a drop down selection of topics - you can choose multiple topics if applicable that best identify your post subject before you publish your post. It's just like selecting which sub-forum to post here on Nomad with the added benefit that your post can be viewed in multiple topic groups at the same time. On the old forum based software you are limited to selecting just a single sub-forum and as you well know, often a thread subject may cover multiple topics.

To search for a specific subject, all a user needs to do is simply click on the topic that they are interested in at the top of our group page and your group newsfeed instantly populates with a history of the posts tagged with your selected subject matter.

Quite easy and very user-friendly.

Currently only the most recent posts are tagged but I am in the process of working back and now topic tagging the older posts which should quickly build a much larger database and make facebook groups a much more useful tool for everyone to use.

Saludos...

BajaBlanca - 4-29-2018 at 10:35 AM

I think it is very new.

joerover - 4-29-2018 at 10:53 AM

and it shouldn't have cost me $100 for not even having the ability to have 3rd party hosting!

Complain to your card company. Visa can cancel his ability to collect money if he defrauds enough people

del mar - 4-29-2018 at 02:25 PM

imgur is easy, works great and its free :light:

David K - 4-29-2018 at 06:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
I paid $99 (one-time) to open my blocked Photobucket images (with remote image linking) on this site earlier this week to breathe life back into my Baja Nomad threads, and surprisingly, nothing happened.
Ken, did they change the pricing scheme since you did that?

It seems pretty clear from the current information on the page for which you posted the link (http://s50.photobucket.com/plans/) that the $99 plan does not include 3rd party hosting, and I don't understand why you're complaining about feeling "gypped". :?:

Larry, the 3rd party restrictions were only for free accounts. TW first, then me next payed for the first level (~$50) and we get no pop up ads and all our maps and photos are visible. Ken's account has not changed apparently or they set up a new account for him rather than upgrade his old account.

They did that to me initially, but I got it fixed by contacting them. I advised Ken to contact them in case that is what happened to him, too.

norte - 4-29-2018 at 10:29 PM

Some here enjoy sharing with others and a whole lot of people enjoy Nomad for the great photos and trip reports.

Facebook is not user-friendly when it comes to finding past posts, but it is good for photos. There is already a Nomad Facebook page.

I also have three Facebook pages, one for my family and friends stuff, one for my book and other M&E history books, and a newer 'group' page for my book as an easy way to interact with others interested in the historic sites of Baja California: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1685520784824763/

Since you are obviously an expert in Facebook, what isn't user friendly. They have over 2 billion users. I know there is a search function much like google and like what we have here. What is the name of the Nomad page you refer to? Seems anything we would be better than what you are going through here for a few pictures to share.

norte - 4-29-2018 at 10:34 PM

No wonder. David. Its just a page for pictures and posts. Not a group for members and discussion.

Gscott - 4-30-2018 at 03:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
imgur is easy, works great and its free :light:

Photobucket was free. Just wait until imgur gets enough photos that they can lock it down and extort money out of people. It seems to be a working business model for PhotoBucket.

BTW- I've been able to see photos with the Chrome hack fix. I just don't like using Chrome, I prefer Opera.

[Edited on 4-30-2018 by Gscott]

Ken Cooke - 5-1-2018 at 04:20 PM

Complete waste of $100 imo. Never again Photobucket.

JZ - 5-1-2018 at 04:28 PM

I'm not planing $100/year. Think it is only $29/year. But it's grand fathered in w/3rd party hosting.

Lencho is correct, if you didn't already have a paid account, you now have to get the Plus 500 plan to get 3rd party site hosting. Aand it's $400/year.

That is ridiculous. No one is going to pay that.

[Edited on 5-1-2018 by JZ]

David K - 5-2-2018 at 07:00 AM

As I have said before, it is not $100, but half that to have photos hosted and no ads.
TMW and I have posted those details last year when our accounts expired. The third party hosting ban is only for FREE accounts and they eliminated the lowest pay account (was $29).
Ken does not have the correct link or instead of upgrading his existing account, they made a new one. All he needs to do is contact Photobucket to get his existing account upgraded. It happened to me, so I know this could be the case with Ken. I have messaged Ken, too.

mtgoat666 - 5-2-2018 at 07:19 AM

As I have said before, it is not $100, but half that to have photos hosted and no ads.
TMW and I have posted those details last year when our accounts expired. The third party hosting ban is only for FREE accounts and they eliminated the lowest pay account (was $29).
Ken does not have the correct link or instead of upgrading his existing account, they made a new one. All he needs to do is contact Photobucket to get his existing account upgraded. It happened to me, so I know this could be the case with Ken. I have messaged Ken, too.

Wrong.
It is $100.
http://www.photobucket.com/p500/
http://photobucket.com/pricing

[Edited on 5-2-2018 by mtgoat666]

David K - 5-2-2018 at 07:52 AM

I am telling you exactly what TW and I did (last Fall)... so not wrong. Have you paid Photobucket anything? Of course not, you don't share photos here.

Ken Cooke - 5-3-2018 at 07:27 PM

Testing..Testing..1..2..3....

BajaGringo - 5-4-2018 at 06:30 AM

Not sure about anybody else but I can't see it Ken...

PB 3rd Party.jpg - 26kB

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by BajaGringo]

David K - 5-4-2018 at 09:00 AM

Testing..Testing..1..2..3....

Seeing the Ford (?) SUV fine.

BajaGringo - 5-4-2018 at 09:36 AM

So I have to pay for a subscription to photobucket to see the photo???

PB 3rd Party 02.jpg - 27kB

David K - 5-4-2018 at 09:52 AM

I don't know Ron, perhaps we see it because we browse using Chrome or Firefox and have clicked the Photobucket hostage fix described here last January by Jaybo? : http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88714

I think the main issue is that Ken upgraded, but his account is not changed or Photobucket sent him a new account instead of updating his current account. They did that to me, and I have been attempting to help Ken with that detail.

This is what we see:

Ken's Ford Pic.jpg - 212kB

BajaGringo - 5-4-2018 at 11:29 AM

I use Chrome on my office PC but use Firefox, Opera and Vivaldi on some of the other hardware systems I use to browse.

So you are saying that just to be able to see the 3rd party photos from PhotoBucket here I will have to install a "fix"? What about all of the other photo hosting websites out there when they start following PhotoBucket's footsteps?

So this means I will have to add in a "fix" for my other browsers as well and then each time one of these update it is likely that I may have to also update these same "fixes"?

Sounds like a major hassle to me.

Not trying to start an argument here but to those of us who don't use photo hosting websites it does seem much more complicated and much less "user-friendly" than facebook IMHO...

I don't know Ron, perhaps we see it because we browse using Chrome or Firefox and have clicked the Photobucket hostage fix described here last January by Jaybo? : http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88714

I think the main issue is that Ken upgraded, but his account is not changed or Photobucket sent him a new account instead of updating his current account. They did that to me, and I have been attempting to help Ken with that detail.

This is what we see:

David K - 5-4-2018 at 12:05 PM

No.
The fix is to allow everyone to see photos that went away from those with Photobucket who elected to not pay the fee.

I hate Photobucket for doing this price increase. I am only interested in helping people see more Baja.

Great news!

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2018 at 12:58 PM

After all of the hoopla, Photobucket threw up their hands and refunded me $99 so I am no longer a Photobucket member. Have a nice day!:cool:

David K - 5-4-2018 at 01:11 PM

Hmm, I wouldn't say that was great news, but at least all your photos on Photobucket/ Nomad are still there to enjoy.

The cost is around 50 for ads free and lots of room for photos... and they show here or other websites.

The free https://postimages.org/ seems to work the best from those suggested replacements for Photobucket. Very easy to set the upload size to 800 pixels (Nomad width limit) or less.

I have several images saved on Postimages.org... here is one:

Ken Cooke - 5-6-2018 at 09:31 PM

I moved my image work to imgur, and although it appears that one needs to edit their photography (resize) prior to uploading, the rest is similar to Photobucket.

David K - 5-7-2018 at 09:03 AM

Seems like you guys who use Imgur instead of the super-easy Postimages.org site have difficulty in setting the images size for forums?

That is a narrow thumbnail or avatar size image Ken (90x160 pixels).

For Nomad, a 'large' image is 640x480 and a 'full-size' image here is 800x600... The map of San Quintín I posted above is 620x800.

*Any width over 800 pixels will stretch the size of the forum and cause text and images to go off the screen requiring sideways scrolling unless you reduce your image resolution, which makes text tiny. You will note that Doug comes along and has to edit images posted over 800 pixels to fit here. Setting the upload size for sharing photos is easy and the first setting on Postimages.org (it was pretty easy on Photobucket, too).

[Edited on 5-7-2018 by David K]

Ken Cooke - 5-7-2018 at 04:45 PM

That is a narrow thumbnail or avatar size image Ken (90x160 pixels).

For Nomad, a 'large' image is 640x480 and a 'full-size' image here is 800x600... The map of San Quintín I posted above is 620x800.

I reduced the original image down 75% of original. I didn't want to 'E X P A N D' the page with an XXL sized jpeg. IMGUR is only difficult when you have a mobile phone and attempt to use it for 3rd party hosting by obtaining links. With a laptop or a desktop computer, all of the information is available at the right side of the screen for easy copying and pasting wherever the person chooses to post the photo.