BajaNomad

FOUND/ They called in.

rts551 - 7-27-2018 at 04:11 PM

Over on Talk Baja and other facebook pages....Pics over on Facebook.

ATTENTION !!!
My people have just asked us for urgent help to find the whereabouts of Joel, Jason, Dean, and Hazael as well as the 3 vehicles in which a jeep, a Tacoma, and a Land Rover were traveling.

They left on Saturday, July 21, from Los Angeles California, heading to CataviƱa B.C. They were last seen last Tuesday, July 24 at San Quintin B.C. without so far having contact with any of the 4.

FRIENDS OF THE BAJA AND BAJA SUR please Share and Broadcast, someone must have seen them !!!

Any information about his whereabouts at 5627864198

[Edited on 7-28-2018 by rts551]

motoged - 7-27-2018 at 04:55 PM

I hope it's one of those situations where they were outback/out of range and doing fine...and we will hear from them in a few days :saint:

BajaBlanca - 7-27-2018 at 05:52 PM

Boy, we haven't seen anyone as described but will surely keep an eye out!

rts551 - 7-27-2018 at 06:17 PM

They apparently finally called in. Hiking in te back country of Catavina.

bajatrailrider - 7-27-2018 at 06:26 PM

Thank God there good

JZ - 7-27-2018 at 06:52 PM

Come on man. If my wife lit up FaceBook every time she couldn't get a hold of us for 3-4 days...

That is just were the end of cell coverage starts. Someone is a little new to their boys traveling in Baja.

basautter - 7-28-2018 at 04:17 AM

Time for a satellite phone or a SPOT!
https://www.findmespot.com/en/

David K - 7-28-2018 at 07:22 AM

The DeLorme/Garmin inReach Explorer works great! I was able to send and receive texts and emails from my wife and Baja Nomad friends and they could see my location and track. It can couple with your cell phone for the easy keypad and bigger more detailed map screen using the Earthlink App.

mtgoat666 - 7-28-2018 at 07:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  

Sounds like these people said they were going camping in Catavina area, and some fool was unaware that Catavina does not have cell coverage, and rang the alarm bell when they did not respond to text messages.

Skip the SPOT gadget. People that need to text mommy every hour are big babies that need to grow up. Just tell your family that you will be off the grid and not be checking in for a certain number of days.

BajaBlanca - 7-28-2018 at 01:07 PM

So glad this ended the way it was supposed to!

JZ - 7-28-2018 at 01:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  

Inreach Mini is much better.

Baja Bucko - 7-28-2018 at 09:48 PM

Can't believe folks do this there in the middle of SUMMER!!! So many have died-an Italian bicyclist a few years back. It is the desert....oh well.

MMc - 7-28-2018 at 10:10 PM

I for one enjoy unplugging. Spot and all, are just some folks way of staying on grid. I have done stuff that was MIA for weeks, the folks at home knew what was happing and let it go. Just because we can, does not mean we have to.

TMW - 7-29-2018 at 12:32 PM

If you have a family that worries about you then spot is an easy way to let them know you are alive and well with just a push of a button. No need for texting messages or making sat phone calls, it's one and done. Once or even twice a day is not a big deal, you are still in the boon docks and they are home sweet home plus they know where you are.

KurtG - 7-29-2018 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If you have a family that worries about you then spot is an easy way to let them know you are alive and well with just a push of a button. No need for texting messages or making sat phone calls, it's one and done. Once or even twice a day is not a big deal, you are still in the boon docks and they are home sweet home plus they know where you are.

Agreed. Especially for those of us who travel alone with no other support. I have had a Spot since they became available years ago. Have never had to ask for help but the check-in message provides peace of mind for Kathy and my daughter. My son on the other hand just shrugs and says "he'll be fine."

David K - 7-29-2018 at 01:07 PM

It was so great that Pappy Jon had the inReach instead of the Spot because he could tell me what was wrong and what he needed (in Matomi a few years ago). I was able to relay that here and PaulW came to the rescue!

If Mike Younghusband had that ability instead of the Spot Help button when he and Don-Kay were trapped south of Punta San Carlos, it may have been less stressful for the Nomads, like Baja Gringo who tried to help.

When my rear brake broke, out past Rancho El Coyote last October, I was able to text with my Tacoma's mechanic in Vista, CA. There was nothing better than that for peace-of-mind!

For me, when I traveled alone so much last year in Baja, it was a real comfort to send short messages to my wife and a few Nomads. I have one more short trip coming up, too.

JZ - 7-29-2018 at 01:52 PM

If you have neither a Spot or InReach today, you should go with the InReach for sure.

Two way text communication is great.

DawnPatrol - 7-29-2018 at 02:36 PM

Good info
BTW my Sat phone also has the capability to text
Alan from San Diego

AKgringo - 7-29-2018 at 03:55 PM

A spot unit would work for me, except for their terms of service. You cannot buy a block of service, it is an annual contract regardless of how often it is used.

Unless you notify them (and receive confirmation) that you want to terminate service, your credit card will we automatically billed on the anniversary of your start date!

David K - 7-29-2018 at 05:16 PM

The inReach service is monthly and only when you need it. It also uses the Iridium system which is better coverage, I never had a signal issue anywhere in Baja. I know TW's Spot did not send out west of San Ignacio on one of his trips.

TMW - 7-29-2018 at 10:44 PM

DK I'm not aware of any of my spot signals not being sent.

David K - 7-29-2018 at 10:47 PM

Yah, after you did the No Wimps run I had you okay at La Huerta but when you went over to Abreojos and La Bocana (I think that's where) you were off the satellite. We even chatted about it after... Or, I could just be off my rocker! LOL

TMW - 7-29-2018 at 10:49 PM

I probably never sent any.

David K - 7-29-2018 at 11:00 PM

No worries, it was something that I remembered from one of your trips that wasn't a big deal, but because Spot doesn't use the Iridium satellites there may be a delay to get signal out?

Here was a post from Pappy Jon on his inReach:

Quote: Originally posted by Pappy Jon  
First, I love my inReach and can't say enough good things about it. I tend to venture solo and it's great to send daily "I'm OK" texts to those that give a schit.

Yes, it costs more going in, but having the ability to turn off the service when I don't need it has easily almost paid any difference between the SPOT plans. I only turn it on two months a year. I think I've had mine three years now. I don't know how the SPOT works, but I like having the ability to send text, and the fact that it links in the field to my tablet. The tablet gives me a real keyboard, and the unit displays my location on maps.

I use the Freedom Recreation plan at $35/mo, plus $25 annually. So my annual bill is less than $100. It includes 40 free-hand text messages, which I have never come close to using. Unlimited tracking. Unlimited "preset messages" which are my daily "I'm OK" messages.

The inReach might not work for everybody, and SPOTs $150/yr might be a better deal to some. For me, the inReach is just the ticket to keep me exploring Baja on my terms. Oh, and the Delorme/Garmin customer service is great.

TMW - 7-30-2018 at 11:45 AM

["I use the Freedom Recreation plan at $35/mo, plus $25 annually. So my annual bill is less than $100. It includes 40 free-hand text messages, which I have never come close to using. Unlimited tracking. Unlimited "preset messages" which are my daily "I'm OK" messages."]

How does $35 /mo plus $25 annually come out to lest than $100 per year?

AguaDulce - 7-30-2018 at 12:39 PM

He turns it on only 2 months of the year is what he wrote. . So $70. I use one also but you still have to wait for the satellite to pick it up. Several minutes every time

TMW - 7-30-2018 at 12:49 PM

OK, I understand. Thanks

KurtG - 7-30-2018 at 01:40 PM

New 2-way device from Spot:
https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php

Basic full year service is less than I now pay for my original Spot. There is monthly flex pricing but I use my device year round so need the annual plan. How do you In Reach users feel this compares as to features.

I have found that I am now getting signals out of tight places that were a problem in earlier years with my same original device, more satellites perhaps.

JZ - 7-30-2018 at 01:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  

Basic full year service is less than I now pay for my original Spot. There is monthly flex pricing but I use my device year round so need the annual plan. How do you In Reach users feel this compares as to features.

I have found that I am now getting signals out of tight places that were a problem in earlier years with my same original device, more satellites perhaps.

That one is much more legit than the older Spots. The key board looks much better than the InReach Mini.

mtgoat666 - 7-30-2018 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

That one is much more legit than the older Spots. The key board looks much better than the InReach Mini.

i like the "retro" blackberry design.

AKgringo - 7-30-2018 at 02:15 PM

I withdraw my objections! Thank you Kurt for posting this, it sounds like Spot was getting the message.

Bob and Susan - 7-30-2018 at 02:40 PM

it may be time for me to upgrade too...
when you switched over to the new service did you have to wait for your "anniversary date" or did they prorate the service

KurtG - 7-30-2018 at 03:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

when you switched over to the new service did you have to wait for your "anniversary date" or did they prorate the service

I just saw the new device today on their website. I am going to check on that since I am only 3 months into my current service year on my old Spot.

JZ - 7-30-2018 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

i like the "retro" blackberry design.

Was one of the first adopters of the BlackBerry. Loved that thing.

[Edited on 7-30-2018 by JZ]

KurtG - 8-3-2018 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

I just got a reply from Spot customer service. They will prorate my current account credit to the new device. Looks like a new Spot X is in my future.