BajaNomad

hey a new SCORE race in ensenada!

willardguy - 8-1-2018 at 10:15 AM

in september, from our friends at RDC....check her out.

https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/2019-score-schedul...

David K - 8-1-2018 at 10:24 AM

Cool!

2019 SCHEDULE
Here is the schedule for the four-race 2019 SCORE World Desert Championship which is being held in Baja California, Mexico and for the fourth consecutive year all races:
· 33rd SCORE San Felipe 250, April 3-7, San Felipe, Mexico
· 51st SCORE Baja 500, May 29-June 2, Ensenada, Mexico
· Inaugural Lucerna SCORE Baja 400, Sept. 18-22, Ensenada, Mexico
· 52nd SCORE Baja 1000, Nov.19-24, Ensenada, Mexico

fishbuck - 8-1-2018 at 12:53 PM

Cool!

rts551 - 8-1-2018 at 01:24 PM

This means they are dropping the Tijuana Desert Challenge race that was kind of cool for spectators.

LaTijereta - 8-1-2018 at 02:47 PM

Lucerna Hotels have become Title sponsor for the SCORE series.. not sure why Ensenada needs 3 races in the series..
Tells me that there was no love from BajaSur Tourism to get racers $$ down in Southern Baja..

TMW - 8-1-2018 at 03:01 PM

I don't think it's a matter of SCORE not loving Baja Sur but a lot of racers just don't want to go down, especially when the 1000 is a full run down south. I think it would be different if SCORE ran a race from La Paz north to Ensenada but to have a 400 mile loop not so much. They tried a race from what Cabo to Loreto and it just didn't go too well, lots of expenses and not enough entries.

rts551 - 8-1-2018 at 04:10 PM

The Baja Sur 500 race would have been good. The south has a number of non-SCORE races that are excellent. The problem With officials and SCORE in Baja Sur was too much money got in the way. Don't know which side made the most demands and it does not matter...the sport lost out.

I now go to the Loreto 400, Dos Mares, and the Cabo 250.

David K - 8-2-2018 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LaTijereta  
Lucerna Hotels have become Title sponsor for the SCORE series.. not sure why Ensenada needs 3 races in the series..
Tells me that there was no love from BajaSur Tourism to get racers $$ down in Southern Baja..

Before SCORE, there was the Hotel Lucerna 250 which was a Mexicali to near San Felipe and back race (Laguna Salada valley mostly). When SCORE secured the license to run ALL off road races in the state of Baja California, they renamed this event into the Mexicali 250 and race HQ was at the Hotel Lucerna (I was there). Once San Felipe was deemed to have enough hotel accommodations, the race moved and was renamed the San Felipe 250.

TMW - 8-2-2018 at 01:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
The Baja Sur 500 race would have been good. The south has a number of non-SCORE races that are excellent. The problem With officials and SCORE in Baja Sur was too much money got in the way. Don't know which side made the most demands and it does not matter...the sport lost out.

No doubt SCORE wants a chunk of money to bring a race to town. But the 2015 Baja Sur 500 only had 82 entries. When SCORE can get 300+/- up north I don't think they will do much Baja Sur racing without a big check from the local community.

Ref: https://www.off-road.com/blog/2015/04/20/results-score-baja-...

rts551 - 8-2-2018 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

No doubt SCORE wants a chunk of money to bring a race to town. But the 2015 Baja Sur 500 only had 82 entries. When SCORE can get 300+/- up north I don't think they will do much Baja Sur racing without a big check from the local community.

Ref: https://www.off-road.com/blog/2015/04/20/results-score-baja-...

You are correct in that the Gringo racers would not go south. But it is also correct that SCORE wanted big dollars from the local communities...and the entry fees (I have paid them) are so high it keeps the local guys out of the race. Thats fine I'll go to the Dos Mares 500 any day with its 250 entries.

https://www.race-dezert.com/home/2018-dos-mares-500-better-b...

willardguy - 8-23-2018 at 11:47 AM

yet another race coming to ensenada in september? NORRA 500 Rally.

http://www.elvigia.net/deportes/otros/2018/8/21/nace-la-norr...

thebajarunner - 8-23-2018 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by LaTijereta  

Before SCORE, there was the Hotel Lucerna 250 which was a Mexicali to near San Felipe and back race (Laguna Salada valley mostly). When SCORE secured the license to run ALL off road races in the state of Baja California, they renamed this event into the Mexicali 250 and race HQ was at the Hotel Lucerna (I was there). Once San Felipe was deemed to have enough hotel accommodations, the race moved and was renamed the San Felipe 250.

I won a Lacerna/Laguna Salada something or other way back in the day.
Old Darold MacDannald and I drove his Old Blue pickup
He drove the first half and threw a power steering belt
Stopped midway where our team was waiting, stole the belt off my personal truck and I drove it home for the win.
OK, so there were only two in our class
A win is a win!!!

basautter - 8-23-2018 at 07:11 PM

Awesome! :light: