Planted drugs at check point

Pages:  1  

Rumrunner - 8-18-2018 at 11:24 AM

Just read about this on talk Baja.
Reportedly happened at San Ignacio.
Says he was forced to delete pictures at gun
Point. Also on bloody decks someone was
Asked to empty all pockets at the same check
Point. In 40 years I’ve never experienced this.
Has anyone here?

TMW - 8-18-2018 at 11:28 AM

Ask David K about the checkpoint at San Ignacio.

David K - 8-18-2018 at 11:36 AM

LOL... yes, the "marijuana" bud on my floormat the checkpoint guy ignited with his cigarette lighter! That was a hoot... I think telling him we slept at Ricardo's Rice and Beans motel is what they got excited about??? July 2015.

Beware at check points, Bad Experience

Russ - 8-18-2018 at 11:44 AM

I'm forwarding this notice by request and hope you all will watch carefully as you are stopped.
Homeowners and Residents of Punta Chivato,
I am writing this letter after a very scary situation occurred to Don Arnold and I on our trip driving to Loreto to fish the Finale of the Dorado Tournament series. On August 8 we were stopped and moved to Secondary Inspection at the Federal check station just outside of San Ignacio. During the search before being sent to Secondary checking the soldier said and I quote “You Americans are bad. You bring drugs into our country and hurt our children.” Also said and I quote what Don Arnold told me, “American’s are bad people”. It got worse from there. As they were searching our bags and going through our stuff,, I walked around to the Driver’s side where another Federal officer was standing. I saw him reach into his left cargo pocket, pull out a small packet of about 3” square and put it under my seat. I approached and said what did you just put in my truck. He picked the packet out and said, “you brought Cannabis into our Country”. “That is very bad. We will have to call the police. “ He then tried to hand me the packet. I refused to accept and said you planted that in my truck. The leader of the two came over and further threatened Don and I. We stated that it was not ours we were not transporting any drugs and that Don was a former police officer in Canada and I was a teacher in Idaho. That we were going to a fishing tournament and did not transport drugs nor had either of us ever. I also said I was President of the Homeowners Association of Punta Chivato. They then continued to check our truck and generally try to intimidate us. I took their photos and asked to call my consulate. They then raised weapons and forced me to delete the photos while they watched. They then said we could go but not to bring drugs again.

We left shaken. I called our Attorney Nadia and left a message and had Ann on speed dial to call the consulate if we got stopped and searched again at any of the other check stations. It was very concerning.

The rest of the trip went smoothly. We did have one other unusual thing happen. At the Gonzaga Bay check the Federal check person asked to look in the back and said, Are you guys transporting Marijuana. We said no and drove away.

I am reporting this to our members. Here are my recommendations. Do not leave any search unattended. They may plant something to harass you. Watch there every move as they go through your vehicle and tell your co travelers out loud with everything you see. For some reason the federal check people are mad at Americans. I’m not making any inferences about why. Please be aware and watch closely.

Concerned for our safety,

Mike Bowers
President Homeowners Association of Punta Chivato

There have also been a couple others from PC that have been treated rudely or have had items missing after this stop so be aware.

Maderita - 8-18-2018 at 01:22 PM

The author, Mike's interpretation of the incident is that "They may plant something to harass you. ...For some reason the federal check people are mad at Americans."
My interpretation is that they are not mad at gringos. Those words were part of the con scheme. The planting of drugs by law enforcement is a very old and frequently used scheme to extract mordida. They were hoping to get hundreds of dollars or get the vehicle. Gringos are often easy marks for shakedowns.

JZ - 8-18-2018 at 01:23 PM

Find the story hard to believe.

SFandH - 8-18-2018 at 01:26 PM

Are they just going to let this go or report it? I know the following link goes to a Baja California, not a BCS, website but they probably can explain the proper reporting procedure for BCS.

https://www.bajanorte.com/en/assistance-078/

sancho - 8-18-2018 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
Do not leave any search unattended. They may plant something to harass you. Watch there every move as they go through your vehicle

That is the one vulnerable spot to be in while traveling by yourself.
Imagine 'first time Joe Tourist', not having experience nor
the savy to deal with this, as if any of us would casually
brush this off, already having reservations
about Mex, but after reading
rose colored often misleading info,
that driving the Peninsula is without problems, if he was to face this,
his wallet along with anything of valued be voluntarily handed
over.
Not sure doubting info from Russ is going to get
you where you want to go

[Edited on 8-18-2018 by sancho]

David K - 8-18-2018 at 01:45 PM

This week I went through checkpoints 5 times (Ojos Negros, El Chinero x2, Gonzaga x2). I was either waved through or had a very friendly and short exchange. No inside search at all, having at least one search is common for me.

It is a shame San Ignacio has now had multiple false charges put upon us turistas.

Maybe the local business people should confront the comandante?

[Edited on 8-19-2018 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 8-18-2018 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rumrunner  
Has anyone here?

Post not on tb anymore? Couldn't find it. I think the page owner deletes the negative stories. Stories must be peace, live, fish tacos, eh?

Paco Facullo - 8-18-2018 at 02:21 PM

Concerning Checkpoints, I've had all good ( by myself) and a couple bad ( with a pot-head friend ).

By myself, I always treat then with much respect and start a friendly and humors conversation with the Guy's.
Most of the time I offer them water.
I've even offered and they accepted shots of my Don Julio I had with me.
Another time gave then Dog treats I had a Guy that had 9 dogs.

BajaBlanca - 8-18-2018 at 02:41 PM

This is terrible and there are lots of options to take action.

1. contact a newspaper and have them write an article or possibly interview folks further down the road.

2. There is a complaint phone number listed at the military stop. Call and file a formal complaint.

3. Write a letter to the governor. They are promoting tourism and this is simply unacceptable.

4. Someone once posted a name and phone number of a person to contact when such situations occurred??? It was quite a while ago when the mordidas were rampant in CC.

This all could simply be a reaction to all the brouhaha in the States with people separated from their children, illegals being deported etc. but it is not OK.

Royosbaja - 8-18-2018 at 02:58 PM

Came through that checkpoint last Wednesday heading north, (from Punta Chivato even), and I must say, we have never had such a detailed search. Every bag was opened, every compartment was gone through, every zipper unzipped and then zipped.
My wife speaks Spanish and was talking with the gentleman that was NOT doing the searching, he told her to go to the back and watch "him."

I was doing enough watching for the both of us, jajajaja.

When done, they sent us on our way.

DaliDali - 8-18-2018 at 04:11 PM

Same spot......San Ignacio. just a few days ago.

South bound......most comprehensive search I have ever had in 20 some odd years on that highway.......

Including a first EVER......ordered me to empty my pants pockets out on the front seat of my truck.

Thumbed through my passport book, played with swimbaits from a clear plastic Plano box in the towed aluminum boat and questioned me about a short handled gaff in the boat.

Rummaged through my shave bag....ok fine....but brings out a small pair of folding scissors and looks them over......they are not a gun buddy ok?

I don't mind the search for drugs and guns......but I told the guy (I speak Spanish) he won't find any drugs or guns in my passport pages , nor in that clear Plano tackle box, nor any hidden firearm in the gaff, nor in a pair of scissors.

It was hot.......the flies were thick......I was a tad upset.

SFandH - 8-18-2018 at 04:21 PM

DaliDali, thanks for the report. Did they ask for your passport? FMM or whatever? Car registration?

Sounds like they have a gnarley commander at that stop.

tiotomasbcs - 8-18-2018 at 04:22 PM

I have friends coming south. I will advise! They have always been, on occasion, more difficult: dick heads. I will advise mis Amigos. Thanks. Tio

DaliDali - 8-18-2018 at 04:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
DaliDali, thanks for the report. Did they ask for your passport? FMM or whatever? Car registration?

Sounds like they have a gnarley commander at that stop.

Never asked me for any of those.
Best I can understand it all, that is not their job to perform immigration or other law enforcement functions.
Sure they can do what they will.......being armed to the teeth and all.

I did notice, at least southbound, there is now a video cam in place just before where one stops.
It had a small solar panel and backed up with a trailered generator.
Gun/drug smuggling hot spot?

S/B Loreto checkpoint a few hours later......waved me through.....just a wave.

rts551 - 8-18-2018 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Rumrunner  
Has anyone here?

Post not on tb anymore? Couldn't find it. I think the page owner deletes the negative stories. Stories must be peace, live, fish tacos, eh?

The page owner is Ron, BajaGringo here... and Ralph (rts...) controls posts there, too. Ther are other Nomads who moderate it too.

It could be the typical Facebook issue that posts disappear down somewhere if no activity, which makes finding post near impossible?

Just like here, the posts slide downward if no activity. If you are not facebook challenged, you can use the search function, just like here. The post is there but Ron turned off commenting because "We have a policy here of not sharing uncorroborated 3rd hand information containing accusations that don't even carry the names of the people making the report.". Stops all the BS like we see here sometimes.

JZ - 8-18-2018 at 05:47 PM

Pretty sure it is that check point. They had a notebook and wrote everyone's names in the truck down in it. Wrote down our license plate.

Didn't ask for passports or anything. This was November or December last year.

[Edited on 8-19-2018 by JZ]

Udo - 8-18-2018 at 06:24 PM

My worst ever experience was with the Guerrero Negro Northbound checkpoint. They went through EVERYTHING I owned, but no harassment like Mike experienced!

redmercury - 8-18-2018 at 06:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Just like here, the posts slide downward if no activity. If you are not facebook challenged, you can use the search function, just like here. The post is there but Ron turned off commenting because "We have a policy here of not sharing uncorroborated 3rd hand information containing accusations that don't even carry the names of the people making the report.". Stops all the BS like we see here sometimes.

Well, OK, I will accept your explanation. But since the missing information has been provided in the post above by Russ and further corroborated by DavidK, why are comments still turned off over at Talk Baja? You ARE the moderator there, are you not? You could turn comments back on. Are you saying the information is still BS? As an alternative, you could re-post Russ' comment over on Talk Baja if you wanted to, right?

By the way, what about the stabbing at BOLA today? There is a video of the aftermath on Facebook.

rts551 - 8-18-2018 at 07:10 PM

Corroborated by DK...How? does he know the original poster? Was he there? Was russ there...or as he says...is he just passing the story on. As many said on the post before it was shut down...its a very unbelievable story...especially the language by the soldiers and the absence of an official report...The poster could say why he did not report it.

If you want to follow the story...follow it here....

Paco Facullo - 8-18-2018 at 07:14 PM

I agree, FaceBook sucks, Baja Nomads rule !!!!

rts551 - 8-18-2018 at 07:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Somehow I don't think they will miss you.

Paco Facullo - 8-18-2018 at 07:48 PM

That's for Damn sure as I have only been on a couple of times and haven't had an account for many years now.

Never liked it and as what's been coming out about FaceBook I guess I was right.

ocshredder - 8-19-2018 at 06:17 AM

We went thru there a few weeks back.....the marine searching our truck picked up my sunglasses and said " for me",,,I replied no...He then found an iPhone charger ,,,,," for me' ...no
The next marine opened our cooler and said,,,,," sodas for me " and I replied we had none, we didn't. Then the other marine sat in my drivers seat for at least 3-4 minutes, pushing all the buttons, changing radio settings, looking in center console, pulling out some of my kids candy........" for me" I said sure take it. Very very very uncomfortable and odd check point....these guys were definitely on the prowl

rts551 - 8-19-2018 at 06:31 AM

Since I live relatively close by and go to San Ignacio occasionaly, i have printed the post and copied the URL and will take it to the officer in charge. I will also drop it off for the Commandante at Guerrero Negro in a couple of weeks.

tiotomasbcs - 8-19-2018 at 07:07 AM

Good idea. Thanks. The response of the Commanders should be interesting even if it's total denial. Any info regarding the soldiers training ? Hope this yields some results.

JoeJustJoe - 8-19-2018 at 07:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by redmercury  

Well, OK, I will accept your explanation. But since the missing information has been provided in the post above by Russ and further corroborated by DavidK, why are comments still turned off over at Talk Baja? You ARE the moderator there, are you not? You could turn comments back on. Are you saying the information is still BS? As an alternative, you could re-post Russ' comment over on Talk Baja if you wanted to, right?

By the way, what about the stabbing at BOLA today? There is a video of the aftermath on Facebook.

I'm at a lost at where either, Don Arnold, or Mike Bowers, posted a first hand account/report of what happened to them on their driving trip to Loreto, on "Talk Baja?

So is this just another 3rd hand account finding it's way to different Baja sites, like chain letters?

If you ask me, this is another big yawn.

From Russ's fowarded post: I am writing this letter after a very scary situation occurred to Don Arnold and I on our trip driving to Loreto to fish the Finale of the Dorado Tournament series.

Marc - 8-19-2018 at 07:43 AM

Bonnie at Ignacio B&B says there is no problem at the checkpoint as far as herself and thier guests.

rts551 - 8-19-2018 at 07:49 AM

Stuff like this makes it clear that Doug Means and his Baja Nomad forums are a place where we all can talk (about) Baja without any fear of being banned or blocked or have threads altered to not allow updates. It has to be a very extreme case of rules violations for Doug to close a thread or ban a member, and not without warnings.

Questions on how to improve a site so older posts do not vanish, to improve its usefulness for research, do NOT get you banned here!

Quit whining. 39,000 members on TalkBaja that have not been banned. Many also members here. If you take a look at the membership stats of Nomads you will see there have been many banned. Again..quit whining.

rts551 - 8-19-2018 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
Good idea. Thanks. The response of the Commanders should be interesting even if it's total denial. Any info regarding the soldiers training ? Hope this yields some results.

Agreed since it would take quiet a bit of collusion (too many people/soldiers watching) to pull off on-going mordida.

We will see. They also use to review thee major Baja sites. I will see if they still do.

watizname - 8-19-2018 at 08:02 AM

My Dos Centavos worth. I have personally known Russ for almost 30 years, and he is the last person I would expect to pass along unfounded gossip. He's only trying to share info that may be of use to all of us. Be careful, and watchful. For all you naysayers out there, I sincerely hope you don't have any problems at any of the checkpoints. :cool:

SFandH - 8-19-2018 at 08:52 AM

Since I live relatively close by and go to San Ignacio occasionaly, i have printed the post and copied the URL and will take it to the officer in charge. I will also drop it off for the Commandante at Guerrero Negro in a couple of weeks.

Good!

Perhaps include ocshredder's post (above yours that I quoted) and any others describing inappropriate behavior.

As far as TalkBaja, the admin posted an explanation of why he deleted the original post.

[Edited on 8-19-2018 by SFandH]

shari - 8-19-2018 at 09:16 AM

I dont know how often but the crews at checkpoints change regularly so what happened a week ago may not be relevant when a new shift arrives.

Sounds like a bad team was or perhaps still is at that checkpoint and it is a good example of how one can travel baja for 30 years and never have a problem until it happens.

It's like hitting a cow...sooner or later it will happen as will encountering corrupt cops.

If it had happened to me I would have reported the incident immediately to other authorities. Very Baja savy guests of ours yesterday reported getting shaken down in Tecate for a pocket knife too...first time ever for them.

So lesson learned here is carefully watch the soldiers searching and report any incidents. The military are supposed to be here to protect tourists not abuse them.

hermosok123 - 8-19-2018 at 09:17 AM

This is not current information but historical in regards to this checkpoint. In 2016 while towing a trailer and with my wife ill sleeping in it, I was of course searched. A grunt going through my truck while I stood watching him with my Belgian Malinois also watching him very intently. Nothing of note as I had my backpack in my hands and he looked inside then handed it back. The officer also observing waved at the grunt and told him he was going to search the trailer. I closed the truck, didn't lock it and with the dog went back to the trailer. Half way through the trailer search the grunt told him to finish and that I needed to move the truck. Grunt telling officer what to do should have sent up a flare. When I got to the turn off at Abreojos checked my bag and the 8k building fund was gone. So stupid of me. No I didn't report it wanted to get the sick wife home to Ensenada. They obviously had played this game a few times.

BornFisher - 8-19-2018 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by redmercury  

Say what???

rts551 - 8-19-2018 at 09:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by hermosok123  
This is not current information but historical in regards to this checkpoint. In 2016 while towing a trailer and with my wife ill sleeping in it, I was of course searched. A grunt going through my truck while I stood watching him with my Belgian Malinois also watching him very intently. Nothing of note as I had my backpack in my hands and he looked inside then handed it back. The officer also observing waved at the grunt and told him he was going to search the trailer. I closed the truck, didn't lock it and with the dog went back to the trailer. Half way through the trailer search the grunt told him to finish and that I needed to move the truck. Grunt telling officer what to do should have sent up a flare. When I got to the turn off at Abreojos checked my bag and the 8k building fund was gone. So stupid of me. No I didn't report it wanted to get the sick wife home to Ensenada. They obviously had played this game a few times.

For 8K you would not report it? Guerrero Negro is just up the hwy.

willardguy - 8-19-2018 at 09:48 AM

are we talking pesos or dollars Here?

bent-rim - 8-19-2018 at 09:48 AM

On a group ride on motorcycles we had the opposite experience going north at San Ignacio about 10 years ago. when they opened up a buddy's tank bag, he had left his pot and pipe on the top of his stuff in the bag. The Commandante made him go to the back of the line and try again.

mtgoat666 - 8-19-2018 at 09:54 AM

THANKFULLY THIS SITE DOES NOT CENSOR BAD NEWS :bounce:
DO NOT TRUST TALK BAJA, THEY CENSOR BAD NEWS :(

JoeJustJoe - 8-19-2018 at 10:58 AM

Why would you do this so the Commandante, and others could have a good laugh?

You don't even know who wrote the original post?

What are you going to tell them, you found it posted by some 3rd party on some Baja sites?

Have you noticed on most of these shake down reports, the corrupt Mexico cops, or the Mexican military, always lose out in the end, and end up with nothing.

It begs the question why these corrupt cops/military, even bother do shake down gringos, because in the end, they rarely even get anything like a bribe or what they were alleged trying to steal.

Now me, if a corrupt Mexican cops tries to get a bribe from me, or steal money from my wallet, I'm only going to report him if he is successful, otherwise I'm just going to pat myself on the back for standing up to the corrupt cop, and then go about my business......but that's just me.

Free-Flowing B.S.

MrBillM - 8-19-2018 at 12:22 PM

Once again, I'm reminded of the words of wisdom often rendered by a neighbor of mine in Baja summarizing the typical group get-togethers:

"The first Liar doesn't stand a chance."

BajaGlenn - 8-19-2018 at 12:54 PM

I beg to differ as many of my posts have been deleted :fire:

JohnGaltSpeaking - 8-19-2018 at 01:16 PM

why debate if this story is true or not? we will never really know the truth behind this story as nobody was there except said victim and aforementioned soldiers. but are we really debating whether or not corruption exists at checkpoints in Mexico?!?!? forget what any of us "gringos" know or don't, just ask any mexican if there is corruption at checkpoints. corruption exists when everyone is watching, but somehow it is beyond the realm of possibility in the middle of the freaking desert? "so it's never happened to you argument" is what we are using??? i never won the lottery, but i am pretty certain that it exists.

Alm - 8-19-2018 at 02:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Find the story hard to believe.

Why not...

Check-point guys are poor, always interested in whatever is in my bags, asking how much is this or that. No attempts to shake-down yet. One bad commander is all it takes for this to happen.

Bad Days on the Road

MrBillM - 8-19-2018 at 02:27 PM

Bad things happen to some people ?

I often noticed at Baja neighbors get-togethers that a few of the same people would have repeated colorful tales of adverse corruption encounters on the highway while most traveled the same roads during the same times without incident.

More than once I remarked to such engrossing descriptions with "It must be Hell to be you".

Over 50 years of travel in (mostly) Northern Baja and a multitude of varied mordida encounters, I came away with only (quite a few) humorous anecdotes.

Just lucky, I guess. OR ......................... ?

JohnGaltSpeaking - 8-19-2018 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Bad things happen to some people ?

I often noticed at Baja neighbors get-togethers that a few of the same people would have repeated colorful tales of adverse corruption encounters on the highway while most traveled the same roads during the same times without incident.

More than once I remarked to such engrossing descriptions with "It must be Hell to be you".

Over 50 years of travel in (mostly) Northern Baja and a multitude of varied mordida encounters, I came away with only (quite a few) humorous anecdotes.

Just lucky, I guess. OR ......................... ?

just read about a 78 year old woman's experience through a checkpoint. sad story, but i guess she's full of crap right??? because since it didn't happen to you well then it couldn't possibly happen to anybody else.

https://www.insightcrime.org/news/analysis/military-checkpoi...

JoeJustJoe - 8-19-2018 at 03:18 PM

I now believe the "insight crime" shakedown story for two reasons.

The woman, in the 3rd handed report, was actually a victim, and she allegedly lost real money.

The second reason, is "insight crime" is funded by George Soros, and the Open Society Foundations," and I'm sure both groups, have the best interest of poor Latin Americans in mind, when they pour millions of dollars in organizations like "Insight Crime."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InSight_Crime

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

redmercury - 8-19-2018 at 03:23 PM

Quit whining. 39,000 members on TalkBaja that have not been banned. Many also members here. If you take a look at the membership stats of Nomads you will see there have been many banned. Again..quit whining.

(1) How do we know 39,000 members of TalkBaja have not been banned? Baja Nomad shows banned members on it Member List. On Facebook, only the moderators and admins can see who they have banned. So how many are banned on Talk Baja? You are a moderator, if you want to make a fair argument, then give us the number for comparison.

(2) You said this information on the searches was deleted from Talk Baja because it was uncorroborated. Now you are telling us you are taking this post and you are going to show it to the authorities. Can you explain your conflicting statements? Why is it good enough to take to the authorities, but not good enough to allow on Talk Baja?

BajaMama - 8-19-2018 at 04:17 PM

The post author, Russ, would never post an untruth. The writer of the letter is a long time resident of Punta Chivato and would not send out a letter to the PC-HOA unless the incident happened.

I always give a bag of chocolate candy bars to the check point guys. The ONLY time it was refused was a couple of years ago at the San Ignacio CP. The officer in charge would not allow the kids to take it Shortly after this, the incident regarding the family that was harassed on the devils grade heading south to Santa Rosalia happened. Most of the check point guys are really nice, but occasionally you get an buttcrack. Hopefully he will be transferred soon.

BajaGringo - 8-19-2018 at 04:37 PM

Sorry Goat but we don't censor bad news and I am not saying whether or not this actually happened - it very well may have. The post that was deleted was originally shared from another page that contained only 3rd hand allegations that did not even include the date, names and/or source of the allegations. Surfers love to create and share such stories down here to help drive away other potential visitors to their secret surfing spots and it is simply common sense to require some minimum level of corroboration or sourcing to the original story.

I have asked another member of our group who tells me they knew of the story, to please post it again but this time including the names/source of the story / allegations. That will provide much better credibility to the story and basis to have a much better, informed discussion. Otherwise we waste a lot of valuable time arguing over whether it is Fake News or not. I prefer to avoid such arguments.

Stuff like this makes it clear that Doug Means and his Baja Nomad forums are a place where we all can talk (about) Baja without any fear of being banned or blocked or have threads altered to not allow updates. It has to be a very extreme case of rules violations for Doug to close a thread or ban a member, and not without warnings.

Questions on how to improve a site so older posts do not vanish, to improve its usefulness for research, do NOT get you banned here!

David - I know you continue to have an ax to grind over being banned from Talk Baja and no, we don't routinely ban people for asking simple questions on "how to improve a site". We have a stated set of rules and when members refuse to follow them they will be banned. Our large membership, quickly approaching 40 thousand is somehow able to abide by these rules. In fact one of the most common themes in daily messages received is appreciation expressed for our group moderation and enforcement of the rules.

When I first set out to build Talk Baja I wasn't trying to copy a formula used in any other specific group. I tried to create a different style of platform that I thought was largely missing from Baja/Mexico discussion groups and while I acknowledge that it may not work for everybody, there are plenty of other groups out there.

And if you think that Doug doesn't delete or edit comments, close threads and ban members then you really don't pay very close attention to what goes on here at Nomad. I am not here that often yet I still see it. Any group without moderation quickly degrades down into fighting, anarchy and will eventually lead to a small minority made up of those who yell loudest taking over.

Not something I want to see happen at Talk Baja and I hope it doesn't happen here.

As for the comments from Paco Facullo, I am deeply surprised as that is not what he said to me when we met face to face last year. I guess some people show their true colors when they are safely behind the facade of a keyboard and computer screen.

Oh well, can't win 'em all...

1l.jpg - 34kB

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by BajaGringo]

Paco Facullo - 8-19-2018 at 05:10 PM

Corroborated by DK...How? does he know the original poster? Was he there? Was russ there...or as he says...is he just passing the story on. As many said on the post before it was shut down...its a very unbelievable story...especially the language by the soldiers and the absence of an official report...The poster could say why he did not report it.

If you want to follow the story...follow it here....

Hey now, I was simply agreeing with what rts551 posted.

There have been times I did use Facebook and I did check out Bajatalk and certainly didn't have any problem with it.

It is the whole of Facebook I do not like and as such do not have a account any longer.

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by Paco Facullo]

David K - 8-19-2018 at 05:18 PM

No Ron, you can't win em all... I try my hardest to provide detailed information of interest to Baja travelers. It is what motivates me

I have no hate for anyone and I thought we were friends. The birthday cake you got me two years ago was a fantastic surprise. I know you have been overwhelmed by life and by your business and needed help moderating. You may not want to lose any moderators, but sometimes a moderator may need moderating?

I have provided a lot of information to your former website before it vanished and then I have been sharing a lot on your Facebook version only to see it impossible to find for most folks weeks later. I was only trying to figure out a Facebook solution to find posts by checking every possible way. That is what I got banned for, because someone on your team thought I was insulting your page. Nothing was further from the truth.

I suspected your moderator was behind this so yes, I tried to connect with you to work it out. I still await some solution so I can assist your viewers as I do here and for all the clients of Baja Bound who read and enjoy my articles. Baja Bound sponsors your page as it does Nomad. The Baja Bound Road Guide is going to be a big deal with my having driven over 12,000 miles in Baja last year and just returned from nearly 900 miles on Friday to research the interesting places in Baja.

I hope things improve for you so you can relax, you deserve a break!

I am here to help, always.

Down and out in Chiapas ?

MrBillM - 8-19-2018 at 05:33 PM

However factually correct the story may be, I have no doubt that there might be a great difference in the way some NATIVES (aged or otherwise) are treated by some (civil or military) officials.

Which does nothing to validate or negate stories proffered by gringo tourists or residents.

It does point out that it's tough being an elderly Mexican peasant.

As if we didn't KNOW that.

BajaNomad - 8-19-2018 at 05:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  

I beg to differ as many of my posts have been deleted :fire:

Nothing's been removed that was a posting of relevant information for Baja travelers.... good news, or bad.

;)

JohnGaltSpeaking - 8-19-2018 at 06:15 PM

However factually correct the story may be, I have no doubt that there might be a great difference in the way some NATIVES (aged or otherwise) are treated by some (civil or military) officials.

Which does nothing to validate or negate stories proffered by gringo tourists or residents.

It does point out that it's tough being an elderly Mexican peasant.

As if we didn't KNOW that.

there is corruption at checkpoints. simple. wanna crap on some poor old woman's story and question her factual integrity? fine. the gringo with the crazy drug planting story is full of crap? ok. but your 50 years of traveling trough Baja also has nothing to do with whether or not corruption at checkpoints exists. the existence of corruption doesn't all of a sudden disappear because MrBill never had an encounter. the world doesn't revolve around you. a recent pew poll showed that the second most important factor for the average mexican citizen is corruption, but everything will be alright because MrBill says that doesn't exist because it never happened to him.

Having read Atlas Shrugged .................

MrBillM - 8-19-2018 at 09:30 PM

..................And still remained an Ayn Rand fan in spite of that, this new John Galt obviously isn't THAT character whatever he might imagine.

Certainly, NOTHING I've said here indicates that I'm unaware of official corruption in Baja. On the contrary, I have (over the years) paid my share of Mordida and (for the most part) greatly benefited from having done so. I've always been a proponent of the system and wished at times that I could have paid a bit now and then in El Norte. Especially, in lieu of a traffic citation.

However, I have NEVER run into one of those theft or harassment situations and (consequently) I have often voiced a healthy degree of skepticism regarding some of the more colorful (unverified) descriptions of encounters claimed by others.

As often said "The TRUTH is in the PROOF". Any story lacking same may well be true, it may be somewhat true (while enhanced) OR it may be B.S. Quien Sabe ?

One has the option of considering, accepting or rejecting ANY tale offered. Decades of experience has demonstrated repeatedly that facts are often a casualty in pursuit of a compelling story.

JohnGaltSpeaking - 8-19-2018 at 10:09 PM

..................And still remained an Ayn Rand fan in spite of that, this new John Galt obviously isn't THAT character whatever he might imagine.

Certainly, NOTHING I've said here indicates that I'm unaware of official corruption in Baja. On the contrary, I have (over the years) paid my share of Mordida and (for the most part) greatly benefited from having done so. I've always been a proponent of the system and wished at times that I could have paid a bit now and then in El Norte. Especially, in lieu of a traffic citation.

However, I have NEVER run into one of those theft or harassment situations and (consequently) I have often voiced a healthy degree of skepticism regarding some of the more colorful (unverified) descriptions of encounters claimed by others.

As often said "The TRUTH is in the PROOF". Any story lacking same may well be true, it may be somewhat true (while enhanced) OR it may be B.S. Quien Sabe ?

One has the option of considering, accepting or rejecting ANY tale offered. Decades of experience has demonstrated repeatedly that facts are often a casualty in pursuit of a compelling story.

well said. and i agree with you on people basically being full of s*it, especially on forums. people sharing stories on a forum clearly want an audience and what better way to get said audience than with a little embellishment. disagree on the proof part though, i mean tell me a story of corruption that has been verified? did the cop give you a picture? hahaha. doubt it. witnesses are enough for a murder case, can't see why they aren't enough for you. but ok. as long as we can admit that corruption exists.

now if you only knew about music....

BeemerDan - 8-19-2018 at 10:16 PM

David K you need to stop your preoccupation with me ..Its not healthy anD has me worried,,, how many guns do you own? i DID NOT BAN YOU . Ron did and for good reason. wHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET IT?

Nomad guru/DK disciples pls help this guy.

Get over yourself Ralfie.
You chase every DK post around this site like a dog peeing on a fire hydrant.

Every post Ron makes you sniff his butt.
What does that say about you?

Go mod Talk Baja, You have no imput value here.

willardguy - 8-19-2018 at 10:21 PM

:lol: imagine that, talk about your impeccable timing! hmmmm....

mtgoat666 - 8-19-2018 at 10:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  

David K you need to stop your preoccupation with me ..Its not healthy anD has me worried,,, how many guns do you own? i DID NOT BAN YOU . Ron did and for good reason. wHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET IT?

DimBulbDan,
Your post provide no “imput value here.”

P.s. what’s an “imput?”

JoeJustJoe - 8-20-2018 at 05:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
The post author, Russ, would never post an untruth. The writer of the letter is a long time resident of Punta Chivato and would not send out a letter to the PC-HOA unless the incident happened.

I always give a bag of chocolate candy bars to the check point guys. The ONLY time it was refused was a couple of years ago at the San Ignacio CP. The officer in charge would not allow the kids to take it Shortly after this, the incident regarding the family that was harassed on the devils grade heading south to Santa Rosalia happened. Most of the check point guys are really nice, but occasionally you get an buttcrack. Hopefully he will be transferred soon.

How could you vouch for both Russ, who only re-posted a 3rd handled story, and also vouch for Mike Bowers, who claims he is teacher and President of the HOA, in Punta Chivato, as if that's suppose to mean anything.

I have yet to met any President of a Homeowners Association, that wasn't on a power trip, and who didn't delight in telling you what you could and could not do with your own house.

This would be like me telling members here that the Goat, never posts an untruth, when the Goat, was merely re-posting something he found on some Baja site.

The Fact is Facebook, requires members to post under their real name, and they are now on the lookout for fake news.

Ron, from Talk Baja, should stick to his guns, and require only 1st hand reports from members, or links from credible news sources.

If you want Mike Bowers, the President of a HOA,( big deal) to re-post his adventures in Baja, then Mike Bowers, should join "Talk Baja" and post it there, so the members could ask him questions, such as did he officially file a complaint with the authorities, or just re-tell his story on Baja sites, where it might scare of few ex-pats, and tourists, before it gets buried by other postings.

BajaMama - 8-20-2018 at 07:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

How could you vouch for both Russ, who only re-posted a 3rd handled story, and also vouch for Mike Bowers, who claims he is teacher and President of the HOA, in Punta Chivato, as if that's suppose to mean anything.

I have yet to met any President of a Homeowners Association, that wasn't on a power trip, and who didn't delight in telling you what you could and could not do with your own house.

This would be like me telling members here that the Goat, never posts an untruth, when the Goat, was merely re-posting something he found on some Baja site.

The Fact is Facebook, requires members to post under their real name, and they are now on the lookout for fake news.

Ron, from Talk Baja, should stick to his guns, and require only 1st hand reports from members, or links from credible news sources.

If you want Mike Bowers, the President of a HOA,( big deal) to re-post his adventures in Baja, then Mike Bowers, should join "Talk Baja" and post it there, so the members could ask him questions, such as did he officially file a complaint with the authorities, or just re-tell his story on Baja sites, where it might scare of few ex-pats, and tourists, before it gets buried by other postings.

Because I currently spend time every spring and fall in Punta Chivato and have been going there since 2003? Because my father in law is a member of the PC-HOA?

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by BajaMama]

David K - 8-20-2018 at 08:01 AM

Russ is a real and very nice person... He lives there most of the year and is a man of truth as BajaMama says, Russ is not into drama, so no false posts.

rts551 - 8-20-2018 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  

Well I guess I did ask for the DK disciples to come out and help this guy. If you go back through the post, BummerDan, you will see I was responding to his comment about me....I seem he, and now you, have this fixation ever since he was banned from talk Baja. Again, that is not healthy. You can go back to sleep now.

JoeJustJoe - 8-20-2018 at 08:40 AM

Because I currently spend time every spring and fall in Punta Chivato and have been going there since 2003? Because my father in law is a member of the PC-HOA?

So let me get this straight, the report by Mike Bowers, is accurate, because Russ, who is above reproach who only re-posted some incident report, because someone told him to forward the chain letter incident, and your father-in-law, is a member of the HOA with Mike Bowers, so that makes the report by Mike Bowers, accurate, because your father-in-law thinks Mike Bowers, is a good guy. I wonder who told Russ, to forward the report?

Well, I have known the Goat for about six years here on "Baja Nomad" but that doesn't automatically mean, I'm going to take everything the Goat, posts as gospel, especially if he is posting something 3rd party that I can't personally question that 3rd party.

Maybe, Mike Bowers, exaggerated the story after he told the Military guys at the check point, that he was the President of some HOA, and they were not impressed.

BornFisher - 8-20-2018 at 08:53 AM

Geeeeze!!!! If you believe the account, take precautions. If you think someone made it up or doesn`t want you to go to their secret spot, ignore it.

JoeJustJoe - 8-20-2018 at 09:01 AM

Russ is a real and very nice person... He lives there most of the year and is a man of truth as BajaMama says, Russ is not into drama, so no false posts.

I been here many years, and I still don't get "Baja Nomad" logic.

Russ, may not be into drama, and is a man of truth, but Russ didn't write the chain letter incident, Mike Bowers, did.

We don't even know who told Russ, to forward the chain letter incident report?

If you want to stand behind somebody, stand behind Mike Bowers, who claims he is teacher in Idaho.

What I know for sure, is Mike Bowers, is not a current teacher in Idaho in 2018, however if he is retired, there is a possibility that may be accurate.

motoged - 8-20-2018 at 10:35 AM

When people talk bad about others, it is often a troll and/or for drama they need in their lonely lives. They have no friends apparently and so they go to the Dark Side.....

Hhmmmmm....David, sounds like you are "talking bad about others" here....:O :smug:

BajaMama - 8-20-2018 at 01:03 PM

I guess when I have absolutely no reason to believe someone is telling a falsehood my best choice, IMHO, is to believe the story. And to use the information to take necessary precautions when passing through this checkpoint to make sure bad things don't happen. BTW it is the only check point I feel a little intimidated at, and there is a reason for that.

motoged - 8-20-2018 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
When people talk bad about others, it is often a troll and/or for drama they need in their lonely lives. They have no friends apparently and so they go to the Dark Side.....

Hhmmmmm....David, sounds like you are "talking bad about others" here....:O :smug:

I wish there was another way Ged, am I too defensive? Can't we just share the love for Baja here on Nomad?

David,
Only you could really say whether or not you are too defensive....:)
I might be too if I had as many posts as you generate that I felt I had to defend.

We both share the love of Baja....and sometimes drive into the muck and deep soft sand......apparently lowering pressure helps in such conditions :saint:

David K - 8-20-2018 at 02:04 PM

LOL yes, indeed it does. :biggrin:

JoeJustJoe - 8-20-2018 at 03:29 PM

If you ask me, I think about 50% of all posts are pure BS, and what's left over is plain wrong, or the posting member has some type of agenda, and maybe just maybe, a small percentage of posts are both accurate and truthful, although you sure have to wade through a lot of BS posts to find that worthwhile truthful information.

Again, you can not post 3rd party testimony, and then claim that information is beyond reproach, and is one of the reasons why courtrooms, do not allow hearsay, or third party testimony in criminal cases, because it's not under oath, or subject to cross examination.

Of course Baja forums and group Facebook sites, are not courtrooms, but the person who is posting the information should be subject to questions, and we should be able to see a history of their other postings to get an idea if they're playing with a full deck or not.

bajabuddha - 8-20-2018 at 03:55 PM

nobody asked.

BajaBill74 - 8-20-2018 at 05:34 PM

I went through the San Ignacio check point going South on Wed 8-15. There I got one of the most thorough inspections I've had in 16 years. The highlight was when he went through the center console he took everything out and examined it.

He outdid himself when he took out the charger that plugs into what I still call the cigarette lighter. He held it up to the front windshield and carefully checked it out!

This was so close to the description of the original poster, that I believe him.

I returned Northbound Sunday ( 8-19 ) and was waved through. Kind of disappointing, I'd have liked another show.

mtgoat666 - 8-20-2018 at 06:50 PM

History always repeats itself: most threads drift, and end up being about David K!

[Edited on 8-21-2018 by mtgoat666]

David K - 8-20-2018 at 07:30 PM

and your love of posting my name keeps that going...

as Smokey the Bear said, only YOU can prevent forest fires.

carlosg - 8-20-2018 at 07:37 PM

I've been following this thread from the start and have a very similar story but NOT in Baja, this happened to me last Friday the 19th when returning from Tecate on Hwy. 94 (Campo Rd.)

In the morning I had gone to the San Ysidro DMV to use the kiosk to get my truck's registration renewed, I was on my way to Tecate so I crossed thru Otay on my way to visit the Tersa Tecate (tire shop) to get my truck's tires, brakes and suspension worked on (that's a whole story by it self: BAD) I picked up my truck about 5 hrs. later after visiting with family and having lunch at "La Mision" (across the street from Tersa https://goo.gl/maps/xAoUG3Tek6C2 yummy and very affordable) just to find out they had done NADA!!!

Well, there was nothing else to do but return home, I crossed the border into the US thru Tecate, got on my way home driving Hwy. 94 east, when I reached CBP inspection station just before Otay Lakes Rd. there were a couple of vehicles ahead of me, just as I was approaching the booth the officer with a K9 went around my truck and the K9 got excited at the back end of my truck, I proceeded to the booth, the K9 again went around the truck and this time nothing seemed to attract the K9, I was asked for my ID and passport (Sentri) then I was sent to secondary where the K9 went inside my truck: NOTHING at all, the officers interrogated me blatantly trying to confuse me, which I repelled in a respectful manner. I then was taken into a secluded holding cell, asked to empty my pockets on the steel ounter, I asked if I could get my wallet that I had left in my truck to which he just said NO (it was on my seat). So there I was for about 30-40 minutes thinking what may had happened and what the future had in store for me, meanwhile these officers went thru my truck and made a mess of the inside, then finally one of the officers came to holding cell and told me I was free to leave, I asked what had happened and I was told it was a mistake by the K9... OR probably someone with drugs on their hands had touched my truck... plain BS....!!!!

I've been thru the San Ignacio check point and many more along Baja many times: at least I had the chance to see what they were doing.

I've seen K9's but only searching big rigs going north in Baja, why don't they use them instead of "digging in"?

AKgringo - 8-20-2018 at 08:13 PM

Twice I have had a soldier with a canine approach my car at a checkpoint, once it was at San Ignacio southbound (Nov 2016). Both times the dog search was cancelled when they saw my 85 pound co-pilot!

She is friendly, but looks like she could be a problem, so I have not been searched by anybody on my last two trips down the peninsula.

Beagle - 8-20-2018 at 09:32 PM

Last time down, about a year ago...all checkpoints were fine. Had pleasant talk at each one. Lots of smiles. Then....that San Ignacio one. They pulled us to the side and tried to separate us from each other and the truck. Went through everything in front and back. Going through wife's purse, looking through some books, back to the purse trying to open something stupid. I speak Spanish and asked, "what is it you are looking for?" The meaner one said, "we smell drugs". Sidenote: I haven't touched anything stronger than coffee for 12 years. I just chuckled. Most of them were decent enough around the truck but there were 2 serious ass-hats that made it pretty nerve wracking. I say that because although I have nothing to hide , I've lived in some other parts of Central Mexico and Latin America where anything can and does happen...It was starting to feel like that.

With all of the Narco traffic going north and the violence that surrounds that, how many dope busts do they make on Gringos headed south I have to wonder.

Just giving my 2 cents on that check point. All the other check points were fine and even fun at times but there's something about that one it seems. A pattern is surfacing. And if they do swap them out on rotation, then it's even more perplexing. But regardless, it appears to be a hot spot of some sort.

ncampion - 8-21-2018 at 07:09 AM

In our ten years experience, the San Ignacio check is always the worst and most unfriendly soldiers. Never had a really bad experience but almost always uncomfortable.

Hook - 8-21-2018 at 10:23 AM

I've experienced the most thorough searches at that checkpoint. It's where I did lose some valuables to the searchers AND it is where a young soldier downed a can of Tecate, while keeping an eye on his superior. He downed it in about 5 seconds. This was out of my fridge in an old RV I took down for a few years.

But this was all about 20 years ago. It was also where they were writing down passport numbers and vehicle license plate numbers.

[Edited on 8-21-2018 by Hook]

Good Luck and Bad

MrBillM - 8-21-2018 at 02:18 PM

Given how many here have experienced the latter, I'm sure glad that God seems to have been on my side over all those years of stops and searches. Especially given that a truly thorough search would have produced whichever handgun I was carrying.

Resulting in my still being in a Mexican prison. Or, long dead.

Other than ONE "too close" call when a soldier almost got to the weapon, No Problema and never lost so much as a soda or cerveza despite often carrying a lot of cash. I have, however, given away quite a few drinks, candy bars, cookies, etc. at those stops.

Hook - 8-21-2018 at 02:45 PM

just don't get it. David begs to be let back in to talk baja...but hates it. Paco does not use face book but likes Talk baja. You guys need toi
rename Baja Nomads to Baja Nominds.

I've been around here a long time and have had many run-ins with DavidK. So, I am no "disciple".

But I've always felt that it was YOU who had the preoccupation with HIM. No question. He will cross swords with you when you provoke him, but it is usually YOU who draws the sword first. And I have seen him extend many an olive branch to you, that you ignore.

Hey, David comments on far too many posts that he has little knowledge on. I have called him out on this before, here. It does no good, obviously. But YOU just refuse to let him alone. Always challenging him, making sarcastic comments to him. It's a rare post of his, that you leave alone without some snarky comment. Yes, often between the lines, that any regular here can pick up on.

So, you're a mod on Talk Baja? That figures. You treat him like a surly moderator without the power to delete his posts. Discredit, in lieu of deletion of the post or the poster.

Maybe my favorite was him claiming that HWY 5 was still going to take years to complete and you were all over him about it; refuting his stats on how fast it HAD been built and his predictions on how slow it would continue to go. Of course, either contention was completely unknowable. But you wouldnt let up on him; just INSISTING that it would be done by now. His estimates have proven to be true. It's still probably a minimum of one year away.

And now you have the audacity to put down the Nomads board as being a place deserving of types like David and others? If I was a mod, I would ban your azz from here, immediately! Or, better yet, as you have suggested to others (vis a vis Talk Baja), since you have such a low opinion of Nomads, terminate your own account. Why remain in a place so beneath you?

I am no great fan of DavidK, but you have no credibility, now, with me. Your motives are suspect, now that I realize you are a moderator on a competing Baja website. You have a motive for stirring the pot with David and others; just to give Nomads (or NoMINDS, as you say) the bad image, that you profess it has. Possibly just to send people packing to Talk Baja.

I am happy to spend ZERO time on Talk Baja if moderators delete potential information simply because it cant be independently verified by their nebulous criteria. Especially something as dangerous as this current subject.

All because surfers "might" be engaging in a concerted effort to reduce crowds on their waves? That's a ridiculous reason to delete posts. That's Orwellian. Where's the verification on THAT? Sure, it probably occurs but that's the cure worse than the disease.

And I am sure they are happy I am not there on Talk Baja. 'Cause I would call them on that crap. Win Win!

Besides, not all events that occur in the middle of the desert can be verified. And filing police reports or complaints in Mexico isnt usually productive. JJJ is ALWAYS looking for verification like this, that rarely exists in Mexico. Not reality-based thinking. So, he discounts anything that portrays Baja in a bad light.

From what I have seen over at TB, there IS a bias against anything bad being reported in Baja. Anyway, the whole Facebook organization of posts is just so unorganized.

I agree with the Nomad administrator that virtually no post is deleted here, unless it was simply unrelated to Baja. He lets much go, especially out-and-out attacks on others. The JJJ/"Elvis" wars are a good example. Warts are an inconvenience, but largely harmless.

I like the organization of boards like Nomads or Bloody Decks. Trip related posts go HERE, road condition reports go THERE.

Facebook's organization of posts is like a never-ending case of diarrhea. Finding something valuable in a stream like that is not easy, if it is a few days or weeks old. Very messy. But very immediate, chronologically, no doubt.

Talk Baja is shooting itself in the foot on this one, IMO. Deleting "unverifiable" posts that portray Mexico in a bad light?

Bad news travels fast. Censorship is bad news. Why post in an environment like that? People who are discredited in that manner, wont return, especially if the information is legit. People who read about the censorship happening, wont either. That's the way it should be.

Wouldn't one rather SEE important information like this and decide for one's self, if it is legit? Isn't that better than having a potential incident swept under the rug and not be forewarned about this checkpoint? This checkpoint has been the worst one since the 90s, at least. The flim-flamming at it, comes and goes. But it exists. Too many of us have experienced it. That's verification enough for most.

The truth will out. Let statements and posts stand. If they are untrue or simply an aberration, it will be borne out in time.

I'm sticking with Nomads. Still the most freedom. Still the most organized. Still the easiest to find info. Still works for people with attention spans measured in hours and days, instead of nanoseconds.

Still the best. Warts and all.

JoeJustJoe - 8-21-2018 at 03:54 PM

I still want to know why Mike Bowers, the President, of the Homeowners Association, of Punta Chivato, who is not a current teacher like he said, just can't go to "Talk Baja" and write his report there as a first hand report, so the members could question him and ask him if he made an official report?

David K, is a very nice guy, and I can't see why "Talk Baja" would ban him, but it's Ron's site, and he can run it anyway he wants, and he looks quite successful over there on "Facebook."

If RTS551, is a mod at "Talk Baja" and is trolling David K, like Hook claims, then maybe RTS551, should step down as a member of BN, or David K, should be made a special moderator, for RTS551 posts, but then again, the information comes from Hook, so you have to take anything Hook, says with a grain of salt.

I look, read, and even monitor, many of the Baja sites, and in my opinion "Talk Baja" is in the middle of the road, as far as sounding the alarms of the dangers of Mexico and Baja, although in my opinion "Talk Baja" probably has too many moderators, and when you get too many moderators, each has their own idea what they should censor.

This is why I like "Baja Nomad," we don't have any moderators, just the owner.

David K - 8-21-2018 at 06:32 PM

Thanks guys... and for the record, I never beg to be on any Facebook page. I did try to talk to Ron via email or PM that I was not diss'ing Talk Baja by asking a series of what-if or why-not questions on how to HELP people find old posts on Facebook. They seem to just vanish.

I was angry at being banned from Talk Baja for asking how to make something better... Not for using profanity, not for calling anyone names, or posting politics. To me, Ron seemed exhausted, not wanting to second-guess his moderator, and his moderator had to be overjoyed to see me cut. I consider Ron a friend, and a fellow Baja fan with the same desire to help travelers. That he has a moderator that obviously hates helping others, never posts trip reports, or photos, or is even happy, it seems, is odd... but he was available, I guess?

I do like to provide a lot of details and I know not everyone wants or needs that. But, there are some who can't get down to Baja anymore or just like to see my details... I do get emails and u2u's, so for them and as a way to record history, I am into posting details... a Virgo thing, I am told.

It is a joy for me to just drive in Baja and make notes about what is there, where something is, etc. It does little good to keep it all to myself. That would be selfish and I am into sharing.

If Ron wants my contributions back on Talk Baja for his viewers benefit, I will be happy to resume the job I had done there previously.

Ron and me, Sept. 18, 2016.

The Baja Gringo Happy Dance.

[Edited on 8-22-2018 by David K]

rts551 - 8-21-2018 at 06:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
just don't get it. David begs to be let back in to talk baja...but hates it. Paco does not use face book but likes Talk baja. You guys need toi

I've been around here a long time and have had many run-ins with DavidK. So, I am no "disciple".

But I've always felt that it was YOU who had the preoccupation with HIM. No question. He will cross swords with you when you provoke him, but it is usually YOU who draws the sword first. And I have seen him extend many an olive branch to you, that you ignore.

Hey, David comments on far too many posts that he has little knowledge on. I have called him out on this before, here. It does no good, obviously. But YOU just refuse to let him alone. Always challenging him, making sarcastic comments to him. It's a rare post of his, that you leave alone without some snarky comment. Yes, often between the lines, that any regular here can pick up on.

So, you're a mod on Talk Baja? That figures. You treat him like a surly moderator without the power to delete his posts. Discredit, in lieu of deletion of the post or the poster.

Maybe my favorite was him claiming that HWY 5 was still going to take years to complete and you were all over him about it; refuting his stats on how fast it HAD been built and his predictions on how slow it would continue to go. Of course, either contention was completely unknowable. But you wouldnt let up on him; just INSISTING that it would be done by now. His estimates have proven to be true. It's still probably a minimum of one year away.

And now you have the audacity to put down the Nomads board as being a place deserving of types like David and others? If I was a mod, I would ban your azz from here, immediately! Or, better yet, as you have suggested to others (vis a vis Talk Baja), since you have such a low opinion of Nomads, terminate your own account. Why remain in a place so beneath you?

I am no great fan of DavidK, but you have no credibility, now, with me. Your motives are suspect, now that I realize you are a moderator on a competing Baja website. You have a motive for stirring the pot with David and others; just to give Nomads (or NoMINDS, as you say) the bad image, that you profess it has. Possibly just to send people packing to Talk Baja.

I am happy to spend ZERO time on Talk Baja if moderators delete potential information simply because it cant be independently verified by their nebulous criteria. Especially something as dangerous as this current subject.

All because surfers "might" be engaging in a concerted effort to reduce crowds on their waves? That's a ridiculous reason to delete posts. That's Orwellian. Where's the verification on THAT? Sure, it probably occurs but that's the cure worse than the disease.

And I am sure they are happy I am not there on Talk Baja. 'Cause I would call them on that crap. Win Win!

Besides, not all events that occur in the middle of the desert can be verified. And filing police reports or complaints in Mexico isnt usually productive. JJJ is ALWAYS looking for verification like this, that rarely exists in Mexico. Not reality-based thinking. So, he discounts anything that portrays Baja in a bad light.

From what I have seen over at TB, there IS a bias against anything bad being reported in Baja. Anyway, the whole Facebook organization of posts is just so unorganized.

I agree with the Nomad administrator that virtually no post is deleted here, unless it was simply unrelated to Baja. He lets much go, especially out-and-out attacks on others. The JJJ/"Elvis" wars are a good example. Warts are an inconvenience, but largely harmless.

I like the organization of boards like Nomads or Bloody Decks. Trip related posts go HERE, road condition reports go THERE.

Facebook's organization of posts is like a never-ending case of diarrhea. Finding something valuable in a stream like that is not easy, if it is a few days or weeks old. Very messy. But very immediate, chronologically, no doubt.

Talk Baja is shooting itself in the foot on this one, IMO. Deleting "unverifiable" posts that portray Mexico in a bad light?

Bad news travels fast. Censorship is bad news. Why post in an environment like that? People who are discredited in that manner, wont return, especially if the information is legit. People who read about the censorship happening, wont either. That's the way it should be.

Wouldn't one rather SEE important information like this and decide for one's self, if it is legit? Isn't that better than having a potential incident swept under the rug and not be forewarned about this checkpoint? This checkpoint has been the worst one since the 90s, at least. The flim-flamming at it, comes and goes. But it exists. Too many of us have experienced it. That's verification enough for most.

The truth will out. Let statements and posts stand. If they are untrue or simply an aberration, it will be borne out in time.

I'm sticking with Nomads. Still the most freedom. Still the most organized. Still the easiest to find info. Still works for people with attention spans measured in hours and days, instead of nanoseconds.

Hook, David has since deleted the post where he brought up my name way before I said anything. He had a complaint about me being the monitor on a page he was banned on. Turns out I was traveling during the time he got banned. His incessant arguing with Ron got him booted. And his comments since have not helped no matter how much he begs to get readmitted. Blaming me is his issue.. not mine.

I have been a member here for almost as long as he has...and a member of Amigos before that... Our history goes way back... his olive branch only goes one way and had always been that way. I have no hate (as he claims) but will clearly call BS when I see it.

Talk Baja is not for everyone. It is well moderated by 5 people with no BS allowed by the 39,000 members and hundreds of posts per day.. If that does not fit is your computer repertoire...fine... It is not for everyone.

Even with your quick to judgement posts, I like your fish stories.

rts551 - 8-21-2018 at 06:50 PM

Yes david was correct on the finishing of HWY 5. No there is no competition between the 2 sites. Where have I ever put down this site?

Again. If this site suits you GREAT, But make it personal fits right in With Davids arguments which I say are wrong.

rts551 - 8-21-2018 at 06:52 PM

Thanks guys... and for the record, I never beg to be on any Facebook page. I did try to talk to Ron via email or PM that I was not diss'ing Talk Baja by asking a series of what-if or why-not questions on how to HELP people find old posts on Facebook. They seem to just vanish.

I was angry at being banned from Talk Baja for asking how to make something better... Not for using profanity, not for calling anyone names, or posting politics. To me, Ron seemed exhausted, not wanting to second-guess his moderator, and his moderator had to be overjoyed to see me cut. I consider Ron a friend, and a fellow Baja fan with the same desire to help travelers. That he has a moderator that obviously hates helping others, never posts trip reports, or photos, or is even happy, it seems, is odd... but he was available, I guess?

I do like to provide a lot of details and I know not everyone wants or needs that. But, there are some who can't get down to Baja anymore or just like to see my details... I do get emails and u2u's, so for them and as a way to record history, I am into posting details... a Virgo thing, I am told.

It is a joy for me to just drive in Baja and make notes about what is there, where something is, etc. It does little good to keep it all to myself. That would be selfish and I am into sharing.

If Ron wants my contributions back on Talk Baja for his viewers benefit, I will be happy to resume the job I had done there previously.

Ron and me, Sept. 18, 2016.

The Baja Gringo Happy Dance.

[Edited on 8-22-2018 by David K]

I rest my case on the personal note HOOK.

Hook - 8-21-2018 at 07:13 PM

Here is your statement on page three of this post, in reference to someone named Red Mercury:

"You know what??? then stay here! you are constantly on Facebook with rubbish and have been banned from many sites. You fit right in here."

Well?

DaliDali - 8-21-2018 at 07:23 PM

I am in full agreement with the Hook.....

Rts is disrespectful and can't seem to come up with any common courtesy......it's mostly snarks and digs and his main target seems to be DK....the history is clear.

Yeah DK posts a whole bunch.......has strongly held political leanings that gets under some people's skin.......and Rts is right at the top of that pile
You just can't let is go can you Rts? Have to get that dig and snark in.
Sad

Whereas DK seems to always respond to Rts in a friendly and respectful manner......as most every other member of this board.

I too was once a member of this phenom known as Talk Baja a few years ago.
It seemed to me to be a bunch of whiney pseudo gringos from Rosarito Beach looking for a political drum to beat about illegal immigration and Q's about that taco stand down the road.
Ron Gomez is pro illegal immigration and his "disciples" will beat you to death on it if challenged.
They will challenge your immigrations status, time in Baja and where do you go or live in Baja that gives you the creds to post about immigration and the plight of Mexicans in general.

Ron Gomez is a flaming leftist and makes no bones where his political affiliations lie. When he is challenged on it.....out comes the race card.
Adios TB........and good riddence

Take a clue Rts......your snarks are not welcome here.

Be courteous and respectful........is that too much to ask?

[Edited on 8-22-2018 by DaliDali]

woody with a view - 8-21-2018 at 07:31 PM

Welp, were drugs actually planted? Five pages of Dibble with nothing but the same people screaming at shadows on a wall.

rts551 - 8-21-2018 at 07:44 PM

Here is your statement on page three of this post, in reference to someone named Red Mercury:

"You know what??? then stay here! you are constantly on Facebook with rubbish and have been banned from many sites. You fit right in here."

Well?

Hook here is statement before that... which later he delete but I have learned to quote

"The page owner is Ron, BajaGringo here... and Ralph (rts...) controls posts there, too. Ther are other Nomads who moderate it too.

It could be the typical Facebook issue that posts disappear down somewhere if no activity, which makes finding post near impossible?"

Well? Its not all one sided. You will think what you want. Truth isn't truth. Lol

DaliDali - 8-21-2018 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Welp, were drugs actually planted? Five pages of Dibble with nothing but the same people screaming at shadows on a wall.

The "Dibble" sometimes need to be aired out.

Far too many accusations going on here...lying, fabricating and outright falsehoods, with JJJ doing his best impression of Joe Friday.

Just suffice to say.....these type of postings can be helpful to the casual tourist to be aware.

For the seasoned traveler or resident, most are aware of these incidents having happened at one time or another.

Let the Dibble go on......some people need to be spanked and outed in jumping to conclusions and outright condemnation of what originally appeared to be a valid incident, based on the history of the San Ig checkpoint.

rts551 - 8-21-2018 at 07:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

The "Dibble" sometimes need to be aired out.

Far too many accusations going on here...lying, fabricating and outright falsehoods, with JJJ doing his best impression of Joe Friday.

Just suffice to say.....these type of postings can be helpful to the casual tourist to be aware.

For the seasoned traveler or resident, most are aware of these incidents having happened at one time or another.

Let the Dibble go on......some people need to be spanked and outed in jumping to conclusions and outright condemnation of what originally appeared to be a valid incident, based on the history of the San Ig checkpoint.

Dali, I disagree, while I have been the victim of pilfering (or at least I thought I was, planting of illegal drugs and extortion is on a whole other level especially when it involves all the military on scene.

advrider - 8-21-2018 at 07:51 PM

I've been through the SI checkpoint many,many times on a moto and have only been treated good, but that was me. Good information for people to know. One time my buddies XR650R backfired after we were stopped and remounted to leave, we had at least six M16's pointing at us for a second! I rode out with the same number of holes that I rode in with, but I did pee a little.. . DK thanks for the time you put into your post's, I've used your notes and directions on many occasions... I check this site almost every day and learn something new about the place I love! Thanks to all of you for that...

mtgoat666 - 8-21-2018 at 08:09 PM

This is mexico. Why are any of you surprised that cops or military are crooked, thugs, or running scams.

The law enforcement and military are rotten to the core.

Never trust law enforcement or military. One day they may help you, the next they may rob you.

On the topic of crooked cops,.... Do you watch Narcos on Netflix? Eagerly awaiting season 4 which takes place in Mexico.

DaliDali - 8-21-2018 at 08:36 PM

Rts.......regardless if you don't put any creds with the original victim or not......it remains a reasonable idea to share that account of a drug plant and or extortion attempts, to maybe have the radar of infrequent travelers to turn full on. This is a good thing.

More than likely, it's not the entire platoon that is involved in nefarious acts at the Q&A lane.
There are bad actors everywhere and a government employee, however low on the pole, certainly does not get a pass.
The rascals who do intimidate and scare travelers may or may not be under orders from the officer in charge. San Ig does have a bad reputation....that is clear.

Incident alerts from posters, both casual travelers or seasoned residents like you and I....it good to know the happenings up and down the highway. I am also concerned for my safety at times on that highway.
It's bleak, sparse and the equivalent of the CHP is not within reach for assistance.
Road signs say "apoyo 24 horas....marca 6xx"......yet there is no cell coverage.

One can draw a conclusion as to the veracity of those reports or not.
The history of the San Ig checkpoint lends validity to those claims in my mind.
Yours maybe not so much.....suits me just fine.

I personally think it's irresponsible to outright deny the validity of these claims and beat down the person who brought this all to light......a Mr Russ. Who as you may well know, it not a newbie to this site, and I believe as a respected member and valued commenter who does not get involved with hyperbole.

Bashing and disrespect of posters who do run up incidents, is the AntiChrist of free flowing information......agreed?

Everyone is waiting with baited breath for you to make inquiries at San Ig and at the comandantes digs in Gro Negro as you promised.

Rampant Halitosis ?

MrBillM - 8-21-2018 at 08:47 PM

?

"......... Everyone is waiting with baited breath ........."

Pages:  1