BajaNomad

Off-road beast

Ken Cooke - 9-16-2018 at 10:44 AM

I saw this online, thinking about how my Honda Pilot is ready for immediate replacement:

https://wwva.worldwidevintageautos.com/vip/1968/internationa...

It's a beauty, but not located close enough for me to make a legitimate offer or inspection. I am thinking about a truck of this caliber as my next. Something built to travel, haul, and 'wheel in derelect style.

IMG_20180916_104420.jpg - 225kB

chuckie - 9-16-2018 at 11:37 AM

I had one like that,same color even..It was powered by a Big Nissan straight 6 Diesel...Stock, no mods except Cepek wheels & tires....Rode like it had NO suspension....Drove it from Colorado to Alaska and the Yukon....before the ALCAN was paved....Went out one morning and all thatwas left was a pile of rust.....RIP...good truck ......

David K - 9-16-2018 at 12:15 PM

In 1965, my dad was looking at these along with the Jeep Wagoneer for our Baja Assult Vehicle. The Jeep won, and it was a great vehicle. Being a bit smaller, we added a cargo top and sometimes pulled a tent trailer.

JZ - 9-16-2018 at 12:38 PM

That thing is badass. Might buy it for my kid for his first vehicle.

Whale-ista - 9-16-2018 at 02:50 PM

Love these beasts! I drove the 2-door "scout" model when living in Ensenada 25 years ago.

One day we took her north to La Jolla, and a driver ran a stop sign near LJ Shores and was t-boned by the Scout. Guess which car drove away with a few scrapes and dents, and which one was totaled. (It was their fault, so... pobrecitos.)

Had to check the website and found this description.
First time I've heard "rust" called "patina" ;)

We eventually traded ours to a man working on our house in Ensenada, in exchange for some of his labor. He wanted a secure way to store/transport his tools- they were being stolen from his various job sites.

My guess: it's still going strong... and has lovely patina.

SPECIFICS / BUILD INFORMATION

EXTERIOR

-Rare International Travelall professionally mounted on modern Dodge 2500 chassis and running gear!

-Increidble patina. (??!!)

-8000 lbs winch.

-6" suspension lift.

-40x13.5r18 Xterrain Procomp tires.

-High dollar 18X8 XD wheels.

-40X18X12.5 Pro Comp tires.

-LED taillights and turn signals.

ehall - 9-16-2018 at 03:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

How many teenagers could that hold? Bunches

bajatrailrider - 9-18-2018 at 08:33 AM

Please don't post things like this Ken. As I have 4 off road trucks now. Remember wils bronco with b+m blower that broke down because Chinaman disturbotor. It is fixed he is thinking to trade me for one of my bikes.

JZ - 9-18-2018 at 09:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

How many teenagers could that hold? Bunches

I have 3 of them, and often there are 7 or 8 over at our house on the weekends.

Ken Cooke - 9-18-2018 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Please don't post things like this Ken. As I have 4 off road trucks now. Remember wils bronco with b+m blower that broke down because Chinaman disturbotor. It is fixed he is thinking to trade me for one of my bikes.

It's a cool truck. Looking at Rock Auto (distributors) for Wills truck, it looks like they all come from the far East. His best bet is to carry spare parts for whenever he leaves town since breakdowns can happen anywhere.

mtgoat666 - 9-18-2018 at 06:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I saw this online, thinking about how my Honda Pilot is ready for immediate replacement:

It's a beauty, but not located close enough for me to make a legitimate offer or inspection. I am thinking about a truck of this caliber as my next. Something built to travel, haul, and 'wheel in derelect style.

Ken,
You really wanna off-road in style, get a late 1950s power wagon :light:

bajatrailrider - 9-18-2018 at 07:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

It's a cool truck. Looking at Rock Auto (distributors) for Wills truck, it looks like they all come from the far East. His best bet is to carry spare parts for whenever he leaves town since breakdowns can happen anywhere. . .. Ken he put a boat motor in it now no China parts and put the b+m blower back on. I will maybe pick it up In a week . I will for sure buy extra disturbotor.:(