BajaNomad

Sat phone rentals?

neilmac - 3-11-2005 at 10:59 AM

Does anyone have any experiance with these? How do they work? Is the coverage very good? I did find a link:
http://www.satphonestore.com/rentals/Rentals.htm

Thanks!

Neil

I have had great success with them

Ken Bondy - 3-11-2005 at 11:12 AM

I have carried rented satellite phones with me on two long Baja trips (as far south as La Paz) and they have been bullet proof. They worked everywhere I tried them along both sides of the peninsula. On my last trip I rented mine from the Discover Baja travel club and was completely satisfied with the equipment and the service I got from them.
++Ken++

They work great!

Don Jorge - 3-11-2005 at 11:31 AM

We have had no problems with our sat phone getting excellent reception throughout Baja, Mexico and Central America.
This place rents them also.
http://www.outfittersatellite.com/rentals.htm

Sat phones

Sharksbaja - 3-11-2005 at 12:14 PM

I dont know about the rental phones. But my sat phone has marginal trouble in Mulege sometimes. Probably due to the mountains nearby.. I use Globalstar.

Globalstar vs. Iridium

Don Jorge - 3-11-2005 at 12:46 PM

My understanding of this is, and I am sure others know much more about this: Globalstar is a for profit company with spotty coverage in parts of Baja, Mexico, Central and South America. Originally they concentrated on areas of profit potenial, ie USA, Canada and Europe. Nowadays their coverage is improving but Irridium, as the choice of the military, is guaranteed world wide.
Irridium is the company the US goverment bailed out to use for the military after Iridium went bankrupt by putting analog satellites in orbit, not believing in the digital age. I have a few friends sitting on a lot of useless Irridium stock and they hate my sat phone!
Globalstar was just a bit upset by the government bailing out what they thought the free markets had eliminted as a competitor. Oh well.
I have Irridium and it works great and it costs less than buck a minute.

deadstar

Sharksbaja - 3-11-2005 at 03:06 PM

Thanx Don, Iam switching as soon as my contract runs out.... soon. Sharks

Joaquin Suave - 3-11-2005 at 11:00 PM

Don Jorge,
Give me a call (land line is ok). I'd like to hear about your trip.
J.S.

woody with a view - 3-13-2005 at 01:46 PM

can someone advise as to the cost for a rented sat phone (deposits, minutes usage, time rented , etc).

A-OK - 3-14-2005 at 12:59 AM

How much to purchase an Irridium sat phone and what are the monthly service charges?

David K - 3-14-2005 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
can someone advise as to the cost for a rented sat phone (deposits, minutes usage, time rented , etc).

In the latest Discover Baja Travel Club newsletter (featuring my story 'Finding Inky') is an ad on the back page: $75/week plus $2.50/minute... from Discover Baja at 800-727-2252.

elgatoloco - 3-14-2005 at 08:26 AM

We have tried several different rental outfits. We have settled on these guys for now. No problems with the 9500 model, although they have more of the 9505's available. I am on the wait list for used phone. Will be some great deals as soon as that little Iraqi problem is solved. LOTS of sat phones over there right now.

http://www.gmpcs-us.com/products/iridium/iri_rentals.htm