BajaNomad

Rough hardwood

Mudder - 10-5-2018 at 07:33 AM

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking to build some furniture, for our new Casa, in Todos Santos. I looking for a good source of rough hardwood, in BCS. Thanks

volcano - 10-5-2018 at 07:41 AM

the ranch owners near the Sierra de la Laguna have to get permits now to cut the gorgeous cedars back there ......town of Miraflores has great cabinet makers... can steer you toward purchase of wood

RnR - 10-5-2018 at 09:52 AM

Madereria El Pino -

Website - Madereria El Pino

The La Paz location has a huge selection of US and Mexican Hardwoods and hardwood plywoods. Very busy place. They will rough plane to size .also.

Located two blocks off the four lane leaving La Paz towards Todos. Turn at the LP gas station. (not the bulk propane plant) Kinda behind the El Dorado hotel.

Website indicates locations in Cabo, also, but I have only been to the La Paz warehouse.

weebray - 10-5-2018 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by volcano  
the ranch owners near the Sierra de la Laguna have to get permits now to cut the gorgeous cedars back there ......town of Miraflores has great cabinet makers... can steer you toward purchase of wood

OMG I have walked among those majestic beauties. If this is true it is terrible news. Sadly "tree" culture has no history in Baja California Sur. Way back when someone had the brilliant idea to plant trees here in La Paz. Some of them (corner of 16th of Sept. y Multalismo) are magnificent. They are also brutally massacred by machetes. (corner of Morales y Abasolo)

willyAirstream - 10-6-2018 at 06:40 AM

California Madeira. On the highway, just north of Loreto and downtown Loreto, by the stop light, Pena's Sayer store. Hardwood....Africa Mahogany. Mex Mahoganies. alder. Calif. Has largest selection, from 1 inch up to 2 1/2. Both have hardwood ply, but only rotary cut. As you most likely know, mex hardwoods are beautiful, but very toxic.

tobias - 10-6-2018 at 05:14 PM

The lumber store in Todos Santos had some beautiful 5/4 walnut last year. It was cheaper than the states by a good margin as well. They had some really nice 15 inch wide planks about 9 feet long.
A whole bunk sitting right there in the middle of the store.