BajaNomad

New here and heading to Baja soon

Element Gypsy - 10-15-2018 at 04:48 PM

Glad I found this site.
Going to Baja in a few weeks for my first time.
I travel in my Honda Element.
Planing on taking the ferry over to the main land and then drive down to PV.

Thanks in advance for all the info I am about to read!

D

willardguy - 10-15-2018 at 04:57 PM

David K - 10-15-2018 at 05:36 PM

Welcome and don't be afraid to be out of your element! LOL

Some tips:

*Try to not be on any time schedule. Road construction, accidents, military inspections, all slow typical average speeds in Baja.

*If you are down to half a tank of gas, do not pass a gas station without topping off. El Rosario (Km. 57) 225 miles from the border is a must fill location. The next gas station on Hwy. 1 is 200 miles south.

*Best to stop for the night well before it is sundown.

*Getting stuck in the sand is solved by removing a lot of air from the tires! So, bring a tire pump to put it back in (plus a tire plug kit to fix flats on the highway or back roads).

*Baja is filled with historical and natural wonders. Not everyone goes there for fishing, surfing, off road racing, or to annoy the whales!

freediverbrian - 10-15-2018 at 05:59 PM

Run! Run ! Before you are trolled, made fun of , or corrected for spelling mulege .

TMW - 10-16-2018 at 08:33 AM

Hay, he/she may have mis-spelled D or is it d or DEE or dee. Oh well, never mine.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 10-16-2018 at 05:16 PM

hola Element Gypsy,

welcome to nomad !

what year is your element ?

i have a 2003 element with the minor 4 wheel drive and have driven by myself from los angeles to los barriles, appx. 50 miles north of san jose del cabo and back from 2004 until 2011 pulling a small enclosed utility trailer behind me. the trailer is eight feet long, six feet wide and five feet tall and towing weight for the trailer was about 800 pounds.

i had uhaul in los angeles install a towing kit and also a transmission cooling kit and both worked extremely well for me. they have a good reputation for these installations.

i carried my own oil filters and wrench and oil for changes to be done in mexico about every 4,000 miles due to the dusty conditions.

when i was in the military stops, i would allow ( allow ?) the military to inspect the front and back seats while i watched over them like a hawk from just outside the drivers side door and then opened the back hatch for them to inspect under my watchful eyes. i would then lock my car with the alarm control and go to the trailer and unlock it for their inspection and my watchful eyes. don't let them distract you with idle conversation !

i never had any problems at inspections and i always treated them with total respect and courtesy.

sorry, but i don't know anything about the mainland. with all the bad press about the mainland, i guess i'm just not bold enough to do any part of the mainland. unfortunately, baja is getting that way too but i'm not afraid to drive baja.

BIEN VIAJE,

DA RAT