BajaNomad

New Seven Sisters video

JZ - 10-23-2018 at 04:39 PM

Drone and GoPro clips from 3 trips we've taken to explore the Seven Sisters this year.

Warning, it's pretty long.

Direct link: https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

[Edited on 10-25-2018 by JZ]

blackwolfmt - 10-23-2018 at 05:11 PM

NICEE!! JOB looks like you guys had a blast, thnks for postin

David K - 10-23-2018 at 05:20 PM

That was quite nice JZ... good music selection... that actually made techno fun to listen to! I also liked the slow motion on the gull flight section.
(Oh, good that you did not add a Google Earth location map in the corner and get the surf N-zis all worked up!)

Meany - 10-23-2018 at 05:47 PM

Outstanding JZ. Love the Music. Makes me want to be there and running with you all in my Polaris General. Thanks....

ehall - 10-23-2018 at 06:04 PM

My phone wont open them. Are they on youtube?

woody with a view - 10-23-2018 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

(Oh, good that you did not add a Google Earth location map in the corner and get the surf N-zis all worked up!)

Nobody gets worked up when it’s summer in that zone and the surf is flat! Looks like fun out there....

hombre66 - 10-23-2018 at 06:17 PM

Punta Lobo...my favorite secret spot

aburruss - 10-23-2018 at 09:02 PM

Great video. Thanks for sharing!!

StuckSucks - 10-23-2018 at 09:03 PM

Going to the garage to watch on the big screen -- thanks!!

watizname - 10-23-2018 at 09:26 PM

I like it. A lot.

wessongroup - 10-24-2018 at 01:10 AM

Thanks much .. :):)

bajatrailrider - 10-24-2018 at 06:13 AM

Great show thanks jz

Bubba - 10-24-2018 at 06:30 AM

Good stuff.

BornFisher - 10-24-2018 at 08:41 AM

Thanks for that!

StuckSucks - 10-24-2018 at 09:26 AM

A REALLY fun watch, well produced. I am in a perpetual state of orienteering, so I was always trying to figure out your exact location, especially from the bike POV.

TMW - 10-24-2018 at 09:37 AM

Great, thanks.

JZ - 10-24-2018 at 01:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
A REALLY fun watch, well produced. I am in a perpetual state of orienteering, so I was always trying to figure out your exact location, especially from the bike POV.

Let's see how you did. Bear in mind the video isn't in exact order of places North to South. It's mixed up.

Intro shots of the mountains are from just a bit below Puerto Canoas. There is a house right before the beach.

Fly over the camp on the cliff is roughly 8.5 miles South of San Jose.

First shots from bike POV are 3 miles South of Cono. Lots of dunes there. I lost some footage from the first trip there, including me flying up that tall sand mountain you see in the distance on the left as we are leaving. The first time I tried to ride up it the bike dropped down into the sand and stopped with me flying over the handle bars. I had another beer and gave it a 2nd go and made it. Sadly, the GoPro f-d up and there is no video record of the flip.

Riding down into the salt flat is about 2.5 miles South of Cono.

Drone shots of the camp on the beach and riding shots of the dunes are at Punta Lobos.

The beach we ride into and circle out before climbing the hill is Cono. I tried to ride a much steeper hill in that area over rocks and went tumbling backwards down the hill. I went back and forth on whether to include that footage. Below is a pic after I got the bike back up.

Fly over the truck on the cliff and the ocean shots were half a mile South of San Jose.

Slow-mo of the sea gulls is about 6 miles South of San Jose, first beach after you cut back out to the coast when headed South.

[Edited on 10-24-2018 by JZ]

StuckSucks - 10-24-2018 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Let's see how you did. Bear in mind the video isn't in exact order of places North to South. It's mixed up.

Not so good. I quickly figured out that it was not in geographical or chronological order: in one shot the ocean is on the right, in the next it is on the left. Low sun angles in some shots.

The bike shots make me want to take my DRZ down there, but then there is the hazard of breaking into race mode.

StuckSucks - 10-24-2018 at 01:59 PM

I will try to redeem myself. You camped *exactly* here one night, ENE of Pta. Lobos.

ehall - 10-24-2018 at 02:02 PM

I will try to redeem myself. You camped *exactly* here one night, ENE of Pta. Lobos.

Cool little beach. I would camp there.

JZ - 10-24-2018 at 02:13 PM

Yep, when combined with the dunes and point right next to it, it is arguably the best beach in the whole SS's. We drag raced down that tiny beach at night about 20 times.

Only made it to the Wall one time and it was just getting dark. So, no shots from there. Need to do another trip.

David K - 10-24-2018 at 02:23 PM

The sand dune field just south of Punta Lobos is nice... We camped there with Roy "The squarecircle" in 2007... that is where the sea lion (lobo del mar) let me get a close-up...

bajaandy - 10-24-2018 at 06:19 PM

Sweet vid! Thanks for taking the time and effort to put it together. Such a shame you had to go and do all that camping and riding just to put together a little 10 minute video. Work, work, work, work, work.

mtgoat666 - 10-24-2018 at 07:03 PM

Drone and GoPro clips from 3 trips we've taken to explore the Seven Sisters this year.

Warning, it's pretty long.

Flash don’t work on an iPad,... I can’t se and hopefully that means the crowds from the valley and OC won’t see the vid and descend on the ss coast...
I liked the old days when we adventured and did not blab about our secret spot on an internet. Wish you people knew how to leave the house w/o an electronic umbilical cord.
You should try adventuring old school, real man style; no gps, no phones, no video, no spot “call mom” 911 button. Try traveling with a paper map and your wits.

advrider - 10-24-2018 at 08:16 PM

Awesome job JZ! I rode that last year for the first time all the way down and your video really showed it well. We need to hook up and ride, we can BBQ some goat on the beach one night!

David K - 10-24-2018 at 08:30 PM

Goat, it is good roads not videos, maps, or guides that allow hoards of those 'bad' people you hate, to get there.

JZ - 10-24-2018 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Awesome job JZ! I rode that last year for the first time all the way down and your video really showed it well. We need to hook up and ride, we can BBQ some goat on the beach one night!

Let's do it. Our next big ride is gonna be in December. Was hoping November, but can't make it.

We are going down to Baja Sur again. Really want to ride into Timbabichi from Ciudad Constitucion.

That trip I want to hit:
- Pioneer Mine trail (tried it earlier this year and my kids bike over heated with a radiator problem)
- Ride the back way up from Agua Verde to Constitucion (rock field)
- Constitucion to Timbabichi
- From Timbabichi to San Evaristo and on to La Paz

[Edited on 10-25-2018 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 10-24-2018 at 10:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
..., we can BBQ some goat on the beach one night!

Goat and mutton are great meats, but you won’t find many gringos eating them,... gringo palates are rather limited, and interesting meat hard to find, big stores only sell the factory-type meats.

lewmt - 10-25-2018 at 07:07 AM

Great video! Really makes me want to buy a dirt bike again. Tons of Mtn biking options all throughout too.

David K - 10-25-2018 at 08:55 AM

Here is the direct YouTube link to the Seven Sisters video: https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

ehall - 10-25-2018 at 10:22 AM

Thanks for the link . Cool video. Great scenery. Roads look typical Baja stuff. Ever use 4wd?

JZ - 10-25-2018 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Thanks for the link . Cool video. Great scenery. Roads look typical Baja stuff. Ever use 4wd?

Some of the sections between Punta Canoas and Bahia Blanco are pretty steep. Definitely put it in 4wd on those sections.

ehall - 10-25-2018 at 12:47 PM

Some of the sections between Punta Canoas and Bahia Blanco are pretty steep. Definitely put it in 4wd on those sections.

I was just thinking about carrying my bike on a hitch hauler on the back of my jeep for my camping trip down there.

JZ - 10-25-2018 at 12:56 PM

I was just thinking about carrying my bike on a hitch hauler on the back of my jeep for my camping trip down there.

Easiest way to do that would be to start at Santa Rosalillita and head North. It's a fast track up to Punta Lobos and Cono. And those are really the best bays in the SS's.

Really it's not that bad until about 6-8 miles South of San Jose.

If you want to come down earlier, and go South, come in to San Jose or Bahia Blanco from Hwy1. I wouldn't try to start at Puerto Canoas carrying a bike.

Skipjack Joe - 10-25-2018 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Here is the direct YouTube link to the Seven Sisters video: https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Thanks for the direct link. I couldn’t get it to run. I guess you have to use ‘Youtu.be’.

Great video, even for non bikers. There’s overhead sequence moving up the coast with waves rolling in from the sides that’s really special.

David K - 10-25-2018 at 04:32 PM

You should be able to just put your mouse on the link and click... Just like any other website link here...?

Here it is on this page... Just click the arrow to play it:

willardguy - 10-25-2018 at 07:30 PM

totally enjoyed it, many a night camped out on these beaches with my half dozen imaginary cuates.........or did I? :light:.......