BajaNomad

mexican DVD's

mulege marv - 3-12-2005 at 06:10 AM

i understand that you cant get DVD,s by mail, & that you can only bring 5 in with you at a time so i went to blockbuster in lapaz and bought a pile of my favorite flix. getting them home (mulege) they will not play! a message comes up stating that "playback prohibited due to area restrictions" what the ____ is up with that ? and is there a way around it other than, i guess buying a mexican DVD player ?

Santiago - 3-12-2005 at 07:12 AM

Different parts of the world use different standards in encoding DVDs. You can buy a universal player. I think Mexico uses PAL but I may be wrong.

Bruce R Leech - 3-12-2005 at 07:42 AM

their are 4 different zones that they use . if you git your player in the US it will play only DVD labeled for zone 1. if you git your DVD player in Mexico it will only play zone 4 disc's. every disk and every player is labeled with the zone. you will git a better explanation in the manual for your player. it is a real pain in the butt for us that go back and forth. the only answer is to have 2 players .

there are some computer programs that will convert them but they are illegal .

Oh No, Not Illegal

MrBillM - 3-12-2005 at 11:47 AM

It's something of a coincidence that, at the same time I'm reading this, I am burning a DVD from PPV.

Heaven forbid that we EVER illegally copy something and deprive Bill Gates or other millionaires or billionaires from becoming richer.

Anonymous - 3-12-2005 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
their are 4 different zones that they use . if you git your player in the US it will play only DVD labeled for zone 1. if you git your DVD player in Mexico it will only play zone 4 disc's.

Generally true but incomplete.

Mexico is in region 4. Many DVD's you buy in Mexico are labeled region 1 and 4, meaning that they should play on machines from ether region. Many players sold in Mexico are labeled "multiregion", meaning... that they will play disks from multiple regions; I don't know that this includes all 4 zones but I can play zone 1 or 4 DVD's on the Panasonic multizone player I purchased in La Paz.

Quote:
the only answer is to have 2 players .

Or 1 multiregion player. They're the same price as the others (reasonable). :>

Interestingl, multiregion machines seem to be pretty hard to find in the States, but they're common in in Mexico (La Paz, at least).

--Larry

so

mulege marv - 3-12-2005 at 01:54 PM

i bye a mexican dvd player or i am doomed to mexican soap operas and soccer. thats funny right there i dont care who you are !
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

woody with a view - 3-12-2005 at 03:09 PM

Quote:

mexican soap operas and soccer

soccer is do-able, but lordy, NOT MEXICAN SOAPS!:O:lol:

wonder where all those blonde Mexican soap opera stars came from?

BajaVida - 3-12-2005 at 03:26 PM

oh, I forgot, Miami

Mulege Marv...

Mexray - 3-12-2005 at 08:01 PM

Great avatar!

When My sis was still flying international a few years back, she'd bring us a few 'chena' DVD's of recent movies...some were made with mini-cams by someone sitting the theater - just like that Jerry Seinfeld episode - and they were JUNK! It was really funny, once in a while you would see a silhouette of someone walking in the lower part of the screen!
Well, what do you want for $1.50!

The $20 Tommy Bahama silk shirts she brought me were GREAT, though!

Dave - 3-12-2005 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
The $20 Tommy Bahama silk shirts she brought me were GREAT, though!

At that price, I'll take 10.

Is it OK if I pay with a $200 bill?

We rent DVDs at the local video store. The only problem is I get a "this is an unauthorized copy" message when we view them.;D

Must be a Mexican thang.:biggrin:

DVDs & Players

Price - 3-13-2005 at 03:42 AM

Are you allowed to bring in a dvd player ? Is it 5 dvds per trip ? Why can't you buy dvds thru the mail ?:?::?:

mail

mulege marv - 3-13-2005 at 08:49 AM

you can buy them but customs is as far as they will get. so when you order them make sure they have the spanish option on the languages, it makes it easier for them to watch. :yes: