BajaNomad

Noche Buena time!

willardguy - 10-24-2018 at 03:53 PM

Calimax got em stacked to the ceiling:yes: and they've just broke ground for the new Puerto Nuevo store!

David K - 10-24-2018 at 03:55 PM

It's a GOOD NIGHT indeed!

ehall - 10-24-2018 at 07:01 PM

Cerveza? Never seen it before. Good?

willardguy - 10-24-2018 at 07:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Noche Buena....(Christmas eve), always a seasonal treat, give it a test drive!:yes:

[Edited on 10-25-2018 by willardguy]

David K - 10-24-2018 at 08:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

At the end of the brewing year, in time for the Holidays, Tecate cleans out the bottom of their vats... Good dark beer, have a pint and it's Good Night!
Seriously, Noche Buena is also Christmas Eve, the Good Night.

motoged - 10-25-2018 at 12:30 AM

It is a wonderful beer....kinda like an amber ale...that's great news !

[Edited on 10-25-2018 by motoged]

BajaRun - 10-25-2018 at 12:21 PM

Noche Buena the Poinsettia Beer es Mejor

vandy - 10-25-2018 at 10:10 PM

DahVeed!
Please dont call it old Tecate scrapings!
It's a really nice brew, with a hops introduction slightly weaker than the caramelized malted barley sweetness, making it a lovely nut-brown ale in my book.
But that's just my opinion.
Delicious!.

mtgoat666 - 10-25-2018 at 10:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandy  
making it a lovely nut-brown ale in my book.

I think it’s a bock (hvy lager) and not an ale

chippy - 10-26-2018 at 04:10 AM

https://lasillarota.com/noche-buena-cerveza-navidad/191763

vandy - 10-26-2018 at 11:38 AM

Point taken, Goat.
Flavor's right, though.

blackwolfmt - 10-26-2018 at 11:56 AM

Looks like some tasty cerveza

thawa.jpg - 10kB

David K - 10-26-2018 at 12:04 PM

DahVeed!
It's a really nice brew, with a hops introduction slightly weaker than the caramelized malted barley sweetness, making it a lovely nut-brown ale in my book.
Delicious!.

Ha! I missed this because when I see 'DahVeed' I think of David Eidell...

I was half joking, but that is what I was told by someone when I first saw this beer many years ago. It doesn't matter does it, if it tastes good?

I used to enjoy dark brews until the 1979 Baja 1000, which was sponsored by Negra Modelo beer... I had way too much of that the night before we started the race! Who here like Anchor Steam, as well? Not so dark, but depending on the meal XX Amber and Bohemia are good. I just don't like IPAs as all the Millenials do.

motoged - 10-26-2018 at 04:20 PM

Anchor Steam !!!!! First discovered it at the Cobweb Palace Hotel in Westport, CA in 1974....still one of my semimental faves,,,

mtgoat666 - 10-26-2018 at 06:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
DahVeed!
Delicious!.

Ha! I missed this because when I see 'DahVeed' I think of David Eidell...

I was half joking, but that is what I was told by someone when I first saw this beer many years ago. It doesn't matter does it, if it tastes good?

I used to enjoy dark brews until the 1979 Baja 1000, which was sponsored by Negra Modelo beer... I had way too much of that the night before we started the race! Who here like Anchor Steam, as well? Not so dark, but depending on the meal XX Amber and Bohemia are good. I just don't like IPAs as all the Millenials do.

Try alesmith 394. It is a pale ale,like an IPA, but lacks the bitterness of IPA. Pretty reliably found stocked on tap in San Diego bars

rogbag - 10-27-2018 at 06:28 AM

They had cases of it at City Club in San Jose last Sunday - got a couple of them @ 359 pesos for 24 bottles. Pretty tasty Bock. I have 1 case of last year's batch left, so it is time to drink it up. The OXXO here in Los Barriles carried the 12 pack boxes last year, so will have to check with them soon. Love this time of year.

unbob - 10-28-2018 at 11:32 AM

I like NB too - but wish the alcohol was less than 5.9%. That's a bit high for me since I have a low tolerance for alcohol - but do love to drink cerveza!!

Can anyone recommend a Mexican dark cerveza with less than 5% alcohol? Does one even exist?

BooJumMan - 11-8-2018 at 08:16 PM

Wish Modelo was still brewing the Noche Buena... Bohemia version just isn't the same.

willardguy - 11-8-2018 at 09:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
Wish Modelo was still brewing the Noche Buena... Bohemia version just isn't the same.

Modelo has been advertising a red noche bueno christmas beer...been looking but haven't spotted it in rosarito stores....I'll post the ad when I see it again.

Rainer - 11-8-2018 at 10:30 PM

:bounce:

willardguy - 11-8-2018 at 10:36 PM

https://www.facebook.com/CervezaModeloMexico/videos/30837167...

unbob - 11-23-2018 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
I like NB too - but wish the alcohol was less than 5.9%. That's a bit high for me since I have a low tolerance for alcohol - but do love to drink cerveza!!

Can anyone recommend a Mexican dark cerveza with less than 5% alcohol? Does one even exist?
Victoria at 4.0% and Indio at 4.1% work for me. Low (but not too low) alcohol - and tasty!

motoged - 11-23-2018 at 09:11 PM

A good beer for my tastes...can't find it in Vizcaino or Bahia Asuncion...que lastima.:(

Alcohol content by weight or volume?

AKgringo - 11-23-2018 at 09:23 PM

Victoria at 4.0% and Indio at 4.1% work for me. Low (but not too low) alcohol - and tasty!

I don't know about Mexico standards, but in the US alcohol content in beer is measured by weight. Any beer that exceeds 4% is considered malt liquor, which is measured by volume! 4% by weight equals slightly over 5% by volume.

motoged - 11-23-2018 at 09:31 PM

Hmmm... I did not know that :light:

Bubba - 11-24-2018 at 06:54 AM

I like beer.

yumawill - 11-24-2018 at 07:03 AM

We clean the canal here in Yuma in December. It's where we get our drinking water. I wonder if they're connected? Probably not. We drink our water with a knife and fork in small bites.

Hook - 11-24-2018 at 08:06 AM

Yes, they exist, but not by much. You should probably try the Dos Equis Ambar which is at 4.7% or the Bohemia Obscura at 4.9%. Both very available in most locations on the mainland.

I didnt make it through my 24 pack of Noche Buena from last year, either. It's OK, but I prefer Mexican lagers that have flavor to the heavier ales.

Although, it's a bit of a reach to call Dos Equis Ambar a heavy ale. It's even less interesting than Newcastle, for my palette.

It takes a bit to keep me away from Pacifico and/or Bohemia Clara/Clasica.

[Edited on 11-24-2018 by Hook]

Michelada

bajaguy - 11-24-2018 at 08:28 AM

The true test of any beer is how well it tastes in a Michelada

willardguy - 11-24-2018 at 09:23 AM

still searching high and low for this Modelo noche especial.....haven't seen a trace?

[Edited on 11-24-2018 by willardguy]

Hook - 11-24-2018 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
still searching high and low for this Modelo noche especial.....haven't seen a trace?

[Edited on 11-24-2018 by willardguy]

We have a Modelo Agencia over here. I will ask about it. Gotta go by and get more Pacifico.

U. S. Beer versus Malt Liquor

MrBillM - 11-24-2018 at 07:52 PM

In U.S. code, Beer AND Malt Beverages are BOTH defined simply as above an ABV of 0.5% (versus non-alcoholic) with differing requirements for ingredients used in the brewing process.

States, (now) primarily for taxation purposes, vary in their legal definitions by alcohol content.

From Wikipedia:

" ...... The confusing and inconsistent use of the term "malt liquor" has to do with the vagaries of American alcoholic beverage regulations, which can vary from state to state. In some states, "malt liquor" refers to any alcoholic beverage made by fermenting grain and water; in these states a non-alcoholic beer may also be called a non-alcoholic or non-intoxicating malt liquor.
In some states, products labeled "beer" must fall below a certain alcohol content, and beers that exceed the mark must be labeled as "malt liquor". While ordinary beers in the United States average around 5% alcohol by volume, malt liquors typically range from 6% up to 9% alcohol by volume. A typical legal definition is Colorado's Rev. Stat. ss. 12-47-103(19), which provides that:

"Malt Liquors" includes beer and shall be construed to mean any beverage obtained by the alcoholic fermentation of any infusion or decoction of barley, malt, hops or any other similar products, or
any combination thereof, in water containing more than three and two-tenths percent of alcohol by weight.

Alcohol percentages measured by weight translate into larger figures when re-expressed as alcohol percentages by volume, because ethanol is less dense than water."

John Harper - 11-25-2018 at 06:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Alcohol percentages measured by weight translate into larger figures when re-expressed as alcohol percentages by volume, because ethanol is less dense than water."

It looks like the conversion factor is 1.25, so 3.2% by weight is 4% by volume.

I guess the old "3.2 beer" referred to the ABW number?

John

[Edited on 11-25-2018 by John Harper]

schwlind - 11-25-2018 at 07:23 AM

Pacifico is my fav beer!

Bubba - 11-25-2018 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

It looks like the conversion factor is 1.25, so 3.2% by weight is 4% by volume.

I guess the old "3.2 beer" referred to the ABW number?

John

[Edited on 11-25-2018 by John Harper]

3.2, the stuff headaches are made from.

Interestingly ......................

MrBillM - 11-25-2018 at 10:55 AM

It is ABV shown on the labeling.

JoeJustJoe - 11-25-2018 at 11:03 AM

Wow, what a bunch of old school beer drinkers! Of course, I prefer the old style regular beers, with a low ABV content, especially most Mexican beers in a bottle.

Never bring me a Budweiser or any Coors beer, especially in a can! I won't drink it, and consider them right-wing, beer belly beers. ( think Hank Hill)

But for years now craft beers, have been very popular, especially in San Diego, some call the capital of Craft beer. I myself, love to go down to "Ballast Point Brewing" in San Diego's Little Italy, for lunch and a few craft beers.

I think you would be out of place asking asking for a Bud or even a Corona, in a bar that serves mostly craft beer.

Even in Tijuana, they now serve craft beer, in their newer restaurants and bars.

The alcohol content( ABV) for an average craft beer is 5.9 percent, and the heavy beers are well over 8 percent, and you don't call those beers, malt liquor.

A "Blonde ale beer, with a low ABV content, would be similar to a Corona beer. You can be overwhelmed by the selection of craft beers both in the states and in Mexico. It's always good when they let you sample beers, so you don't get stuck with a beer that sucks.

[Edited on 11-25-2018 by JoeJustJoe]