BajaNomad

Ocotillos

Udo - 11-12-2018 at 07:57 PM

Do any Nomads know where I may purchase about 30 Ocotillo plants (or plantable cuttings)?

I would like to have them for my garden in Ensenada. I have been to ALL viveros from TJ to Ensenada. Everyone tells me they can get them...but guess what?
No one has been able to so far in 6 months.

John Harper - 11-12-2018 at 08:00 PM

I've always wondered about those plants. They are so beautiful when green, but I've never seen one in a garden. I wanted one for my yard here in Carlsbad, but have never found one in a nursery NOB.

John

motoged - 11-12-2018 at 08:08 PM

Fairly easy to propagate:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/cacti-succulents/ocotillo/propagating-ocotillo-plants.htm

Ocotillo

bajaguy - 11-12-2018 at 08:09 PM

Walter Anderson Nursery at 3642 Enterprise Street, San Diego used to carry them. Saw several last year. You might give them a call...(619) 224-8271

Ken Cooke - 11-12-2018 at 08:54 PM

I think that my Ocotillo came from Moorten in Palm Springs.

http://moortenbotanicalgarden.com

bkbend - 11-12-2018 at 09:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Fairly easy to propagate:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/cacti-succulents/ocotillo/propagating-ocotillo-plants.htm

I know people who've done the in-ground method. Watered it, it took root and is now doing fine. It did sort of look dead for a year or two (or three) but several years later is doing great. This was in BdeLA 'soil' which is as poor as you can get.

bkbend - 11-12-2018 at 09:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I think that my Ocotillo came from Moorten in Palm Springs.

http://moortenbotanicalgarden.com

That's a neat little garden. We stayed near there one time headed to Baja and I stumbled on it in the morning while walking the dog.

yumawill - 11-13-2018 at 05:48 AM

Large 8' Ocotillo are readily available here in Yuma at Lowes and Home Depot. They are bare root items so they must regenerate roots readily.

John Harper - 11-13-2018 at 06:52 AM

Wow, lots of sources. Thank you.

John

sd - 11-13-2018 at 08:53 AM

Hi Udo!

I use them often in California. My source is Home Depot and Lowes. Only carry the bare root ones, about $40-50 each. Size about 6 ft.
Plant in well draining soil, sand and rock is what I use. They have all grown, although not very pretty initially.

Each comes with a tag that states they were legally harvested. Not sure if you can transport from California to Baja, probably not allowed.

motoged - 11-13-2018 at 09:34 AM

Importing may be an issue I would also think....so....an adventure day out in the desert, collecting supple branches for starters, some rooting compound probably for hard stem/wood after cuttings harden off a bit (not drying in direct sun for several days to a week), lotsa watering, patience....and eventual gardener's pride in a scraggly hedgerow....:light:

Try this

John M - 11-13-2018 at 10:55 AM

I have a not-so-recent contact for a friend who was in the succulent business, the contact info may be ok

Kent Houser
(760) 560-6462
cactusman.kent@gmail.com
"The Cactus Man"

John M

StuckSucks - 11-13-2018 at 11:21 AM

Lots of people around San Felipe take ocotillo cuttings, jam them in the ground and get instant (or not so instant) fence line. I'd say, time to take a trip to the desert.

Skipjack Joe - 11-13-2018 at 01:49 PM

An Ocotillo grown right up next to a wall may look very nice, even without the flowers.

Ocotillo for construction

David K - 11-13-2018 at 03:10 PM

A living fence!

The founder of Nuevo Mazatlan, before planting cuttings of the nearby tamarisk tree to grow a forest campground, built big papalas/ cabañas from ocotillos to camp under at the edge of the beach there (in the mid 1960s):

My mom and me by our Jeep and trailer, Nuevo Mazatlan ('66 or '67)

The whole cabaña complex, summer of 1967. My school principal and family (in the VW bug) joined us. The sand was too soft to back the trailer into the cabaña as we did before.!

bajapedro - 11-14-2018 at 06:47 AM

Found some in the Lowe's Garden section a couple of yrs ago.
Unfortunately they did not service the winter.

weebray - 11-14-2018 at 08:35 AM

Here in La Paz and I believe in Baja Sur a license to sell native plants is required. I have been told there are only two here in town. PM me if you need contact info.