BajaNomad

Where are the best spots to see the whales?

JZ - 12-14-2018 at 07:09 PM

What months and where are the spots?

Ive seen whale sharks in BoLA a bunch and La Paz a little, but we've never done any excursions, and nothing on the Pacific.

Who has the 411?

[Edited on 12-15-2018 by JZ]

Geo_Skip - 12-14-2018 at 07:16 PM

OMG. You have three to choose from at various distances south. I would recommend the first one (Guerro Negro) Shari's guided trips, the experience is incredible. I admit a personal bias, but I hear that the Laguna Ignacio and Magdalena are good as well, if perhaps a bit later in the season.

Contact Shari to get more info. You won't be disappointed unless you arrive too late in the season.

motoged - 12-14-2018 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

".... but we've never done any exclusions ..."

:?:

Mulege Canuck - 12-14-2018 at 08:36 PM

We went to Guerro Negro six years ago for our first trip in early January. We got stuck in a boom of whales. Tour lasted longer than expected. Very amazing.

San Ignacio we go the first week in March. There a a lot of calves then. If your wife kisses a grey whale calf your screwed for life. We go every year now.

advrider - 12-14-2018 at 08:37 PM

I've only gone from out of San Ignacio, but my friends did GN last year and liked it...

JZ - 12-14-2018 at 08:48 PM

A few years back we took the boat across from San Carlos (Sonora) to Loreto. About 10-15 miles out we saw a line of maybe 20-30 whales a 1/4 mile ahead of us.

What are the months in the various spots on the Pacific? How far out do you have to go? Some trips down we load an 11 foot inflatable Zodiac in the truck. No idea what I'm talking about here, but can we take that little boat out to where they are. It handles good sized waves well and can do a couple miles out easy.

mtgoat666 - 12-14-2018 at 08:50 PM

What months and where are the spots?

Ive seen whale sharks in BoLA a bunch and La Paz a little, but we've never done any excursions, and nothing on the Pacific.

Who has the 411?

GN and SI are better than mag.
I prefer SI over GN, SI is prettier location, has good mangroves, and has a different vibe. GN is industrial, surrounded by salt mine, has big govt-spec big visitors center, a dock, etc. SI is low key buildings, and you wade to get in boats. SI town is prettier, more interesting than GN town. I find GN town ugly.

[Edited on 12-15-2018 by mtgoat666]

4x4abc - 12-14-2018 at 09:34 PM

How far out do you have to go? Some trips down we load an 11 foot inflatable Zodiac in the truck. No idea what I'm talking about here, but can we take that little boat out to where they are. It handles good sized waves well and can do a couple miles out easy.

You can not take your own boat. Panga and guide are mandatory.

[Edited on 12-15-2018 by 4x4abc]

Mulege Canuck - 12-14-2018 at 09:38 PM

At rattlesnake beach we used our boat to see the Finback and Blue Whales. It was early March.

For sure no boats allowed in the pacific lagoons.

4x4abc - 12-14-2018 at 09:41 PM

Key for all locations is the weather. No wind is absolute best. That way you can look into the water and see the part of the whale below the surface.
A whale sticking his head out of choppy water might be exciting for many, but not for me. Need a stronger visual stimulant.

kevin_in_idaho - 12-14-2018 at 09:45 PM

We went to (Scammon's Lagoon) Ojo De Liebre and it was awesome. Camping was great and the "tours" are amazing!

MMc - 12-14-2018 at 09:57 PM

i have been to both SI and GN. GN has more whale over a greater area. SI is smaller with fewer whales. I you go late Feb or March you'll be close to whales. There is less going on At SI, all you see is whale boats, GN you see barges taking out salt and lots of other boat traffic.

Last year we went to Shari's whale camp out by the mouth of the bay. Best trip by far, lots of whales at a remote camp. 12 Campers right on the beach. good food and great times. The price was cheap last year.

JZ - 12-14-2018 at 09:59 PM

We are driving through GN and SI the first week in January. Good time or too early?

4x4abc - 12-14-2018 at 11:15 PM

good time

advrider - 12-14-2018 at 11:53 PM

Pretty sure as other have said you have to go with a guided boat, it is the most amazing thing I have ever done! The whales came to us for attention and petting, the baby was over the side of the boat. Crazy cool.

MMc - 12-15-2018 at 12:20 AM

You will see whales and see a lot of mating. It seems like the the males and the females show up and leave early. Mothers arrive give birth and get get their babies ready to head north, They stay longer, most encounters are with babies and mothers. Sheri knows why more then the rest of us, contact her for the best beta about whales.
S
he posted seeing a whale or two already.
We are driving through GN and SI the first week in January. Good time or too early?

basautter - 12-15-2018 at 04:49 AM

I went to the San Ignacio lagoon a few years back in Feb. Lots of greys with babies, and excellent tour services. Well worth the visit.

David K - 12-15-2018 at 07:20 AM

It is spelled GUERRERO (not Guerro) and means Warrior, in English. The whaling support ship Black Warrior (Guerrero Negro) ran aground in that lagoon in 1858. The lagoon was known as "Frenchman's Lagoon" before that happened.

boe4fun - 12-15-2018 at 10:59 AM

Shari’s Whale Magic Tours out of Ojo de Liebre (Scammons Lagoon) in the town of Guerrero Negro itself. This will be at or near the mouth of the lagoon where it opens into the Pacific. The “back bay” of Ojo de Liebre has it’s entrance a few miles south of GN, accessed by a dirt road off Mex 1 about 8 miles in. Overall, it’s usually much calmer and several palapas are there for camping, also a restaurant.

BajaMama - 12-15-2018 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Key for all locations is the weather. No wind is absolute best. That way you can look into the water and see the part of the whale below the surface.
A whale sticking his head out of choppy water might be exciting for many, but not for me. Need a stronger visual stimulant.

A few years back I whale watched on a RIB in Maui (humpbacks). They offered a snorkel and mask, no one else took it (surprisingly it was cold outside) so I did. They popped me over the side and held onto my feet. AMAZING to watch the whales underwater from such a close vantage point. My daughter did it next and saw a mama w/baby. We called it "bobbing for whales."

Bob and Susan - 12-15-2018 at 01:26 PM

go to this place...

http://www.latimes.com/travel/mexico/la-tr-0605-whales-mexic...

its going to be COLD!!!

motoged - 12-15-2018 at 08:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
go to this place...

In that article, the author writes "

When the baby opened its mouth, revealing the baleen and its enormous tongue, it looked as though it was grinning.

I still had no desire to kiss a baby whale, but the sense of wonderment in our tiny boat was universal. The mother was presenting her offspring to us. My resolve to avoid anthropomorphizing vanished."

I sometime think that the mother whale is offering people to their children, rather than their child to people. Dolphins will also bring their young close to humans.....as well as teach them how to surf....all part of the critters sharing their world with us...

And how cool is that?

BajaDanD - 12-17-2018 at 06:03 PM

Hook up with Shari from Bahia Asuncion in Guererro negro we've been going there for years and years
We done both San Ignacio and Ojo de liebre and we prefer Ojo de liebre

Bubba - 12-18-2018 at 07:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
go to this place...

In that article, the author writes "

When the baby opened its mouth, revealing the baleen and its enormous tongue, it looked as though it was grinning.

I still had no desire to kiss a baby whale, but the sense of wonderment in our tiny boat was universal. The mother was presenting her offspring to us. My resolve to avoid anthropomorphizing vanished."

I sometime think that the mother whale is offering people to their children, rather than their child to people. Dolphins will also bring their young close to humans.....as well as teach them how to surf....all part of the critters sharing their world with us...

And how cool is that?

Very cool!

bajamary1952 - 12-19-2018 at 11:49 AM

Best time for whales sharks in La Paz is November & December. Humpbacks in Cabo is January. Guerrero Negro is March. I've been in all these places. Just went on a humpback whale watch this week in Cabo but not so many whales.

shari - 12-19-2018 at 04:59 PM

Each lagoon has a different vibe and much depends on the time of the season you can go. For example the whales first show up to Laguna OJo de Liebre(Scammons Lagoon) near Guerrero Negro and it fills up first and is the main calving lagoon with usually about 2,000 whales present. There are much fewer boats in the viewing areas because there are 3 different areas where whale watching is permitted.

San Ignacio has more boats and fewer whales(3-400) and is a much smaller viewing area. The season starts a month later there.
Mag Bay is more industrial and has fewer whales still(2-300) at the peak which is later in February.

Here is a bit of what you can expect during the season.

In January we are honoured to see moms in labour, birthing, mating and courtship rituals as well as more dolphins. Pregnant females waiting to birth are often very friendly and have a midwife present with them. Then of course are those teeny tiny 1 ton babies to adore!

In early February the mating slows down but there is beautiful baby calf interactions with Mama like lying on her back or chest on the surface and the moms start pushing their babies up to the pangas to introduce the calves to humans so you may be the first person to have inter-species contact with a calf.

Then school starts for the calves and they swim them against the tide like an aerobic workout. I highly recommend NOT coming Presidents Day Weekend if you can avoid it...it's a mess!

In March the calves are older and more playful but things can get a bit rough as they play with the boats more exuberantly and start to become more independent. Because we spend time with certain whales for months, we develop relationships with them which is fascinating to watch their characters to form.

By mid March many of our known friends leave the lagoon to start their journey north but other whales come onto the lagoon. They gather closer to the mouth of the lagoon where it is a bit rougher for observation.

I like the inner lagoon best in OJo de Liebre for it's beauty, calmer waters and you can just jump on a panga when you want so more freedom to drive out there yourself and choose to go or not depending on weather etc.

My first trip is on Jan.2nd...I am soooo excited to see those adorable little babies!

[Edited on 12-22-2018 by BajaNomad]

TFelix713 - 12-21-2018 at 06:36 PM

Malarrimo Ecotours in Guerro Negro middle of February to early March. Was pretty Epic, also got to meet Tony Hawks sister on the tour. Pretty random but she was cool and had a few beers with us.

[Edited on 12-22-2018 by TFelix713]

Lee - 12-21-2018 at 07:43 PM

Saw whales at Ojo Liebre with shari's group. Morning was fantastic and touched a whale as it passed under the boat.

The afternoon was the opposite. Too many people in the boat and it felt unsafe. I was in the back, 3 across. I couldn't stand if the guy in the middle was standing. Winds were whipping around and water wasn't clear.

When I go again, I'll be checking on the number of people signed up and not be going with a full boat. Ride back to shore was not fun.

bajamary1952 - 12-22-2018 at 08:42 AM

When I went to GN in late January didn't see too many whales; when I went another time in March saw many more. Just did a whale watch (humpbacks) in Cabo San Lucas; some whales but guides said February & March were much better so it's all about timing.