BajaNomad

Lobster? What can you tell me?

ReTire - 12-29-2018 at 06:33 PM

Curious if that is even a remote possibility with snorkeling gear?

Anybody have much luck recently?

Thanks

AKgringo - 12-29-2018 at 06:39 PM

You could certainly find lobsters while snorkeling, but it is not legal for non locals to take them!

ReTire - 12-29-2018 at 06:44 PM

Oh really? Well, that’s an important piece of information.😀

I imagine it’s a good source of income for the locals then.

Thanks

4x4abc - 12-29-2018 at 06:46 PM

I have done it - they are very very hard to catch
they dart backwards and have nasty spines
good gloves and a strong firm grip will assure lunch or dinner
with butter in foil right on the beach - divine

willardguy - 12-29-2018 at 07:13 PM

bring a mop ;)

BajaTed - 12-29-2018 at 07:48 PM

When I see the Pangero's checking their traps, I take a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and a rope to the rocks and wave a twenty dollar bill. Its deep enough to do our deal with a rope toss if they are in the mood.
I get 2 or 3 live lobsters
-or-
South wall, middle stall, Ensenada fish market, the guy with the all the buckets

Bubba - 12-30-2018 at 06:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ReTire  
Curious if that is even a remote possibility with snorkeling gear?

Anybody have much luck recently?

Thanks

I can tell you they are awesome with drawn butter!

BajaBlanca - 12-30-2018 at 08:15 AM

Go to the beach restaurant in La Bocana and you can feast on a lobster that they catch in the aquarium right before your eyes for $250 pesos or US$13.00.

In our village, they really are adamant about no one going near the lobsters and legend has it that they once burned a boat in Abreojos for illegally taking lobsters. It is their livelihood and they take lobstering VERY SERIOUSLY.

ReTire - 12-30-2018 at 09:18 AM

Aquarium lobster? I guess that’s fresh....right?

ReTire - 12-30-2018 at 09:23 AM

Just not fresh off the boat! They are a seasonal fare in Baja?

When would the ‘season’ be?

shari - 12-30-2018 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
You could certainly find lobsters while snorkeling, but it is not legal for non locals to take them!

actually it is illegal for ANYONE other than the fishermen from the local cooperativas to take lobster or abalone in many areas...it is a federal crime so be warned.

This is often misunderstood...people think Mexicans have different rights but the fact is the laws are for everyone.

basautter - 12-30-2018 at 10:22 AM

Look in rocky tide pools (if you can find them). Much easier to catch.

hombre66 - 12-30-2018 at 11:12 AM

As far back as 1983 at Punta Camalu I was harrassed in an extremely menacing fashion by a panguero claiming I had stolen lobsters. I was sleeping in my Scout and had just arrived the night before hoping to find waves in the area. Yes , they take their trade very seriosly, and for quite a number of years now. Since then, I have even found it difficult to purchase any at fish camps. Gave up along time ago and settled for the croakers I caught in the surf.

fishbuck - 12-30-2018 at 01:51 PM

Another reason I can't totally break away from SoCal. We are allowed 7 recreational lobsters per day during season.
We had a record amount of lobsters this year. Big ones.
I can't wait to get an after christmas deal on a lobster trap or 2.

TMW - 12-30-2018 at 02:15 PM

There once was a Chinese/Mexican living on the north side of the sand dunes at San Antonio del Mar on the coast from Colonet named Tony. While camping in the area he would come by with a bucket of live lobsters selling them. Negotiate a price and buy as many as you want. He passed away several years ago and I haven't been camping there for a long time so I don't know if his family still does it or not.

fishbuck - 12-30-2018 at 02:18 PM

Don't buy shorties from the beach vendors please. It hurts the oopulation.

BajaBlanca - 12-30-2018 at 03:57 PM

I didn't make myself clear ReTire - they put the lobsters live, into the salt water tank, during the season! I should know what the season is, but I can never remember. It is indeed lobster season right now and I have eaten lots of them!

So, I have a story: 12 years ago when we first arrived, we would take the quad down to the beach almost every day, park it and go for a long walk. One day there was a trap stuck in the water which Les dragged up and pulled lobster out of it to take home.

I told him not to do it but he is stubborn and said they were going to die anyway.

We get home and not an hour later, I see a vigilante come to the door. You are on your own, I said, and went to the back of the house. Of course they came to get me since Les did not speak much Spanish at the time and the guy read me the riot act.

To be truthful, he was so polite giving me the riot act BUT he made it abundantly clear that taking the critters was simply not tolerated.

I would be remiss not to mention that Joaquin, a local chef who owns the Cactus Restaurant on the main drag in La Bocana, almost always has lobster (sometimes fresh and sometimes frozen) and his meals are over the top deeeelishous.

shari - 12-30-2018 at 04:12 PM

good story Blanca....folks need to know that even if you dont see anyone around...the vigilancia are watching! It is a federal crime punishable by 5 years in prison.

David K - 12-30-2018 at 04:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
There once was a Chinese/Mexican living on the north side of the sand dunes at San Antonio del Mar on the coast from Colonet named Tony. While camping in the area he would come by with a bucket of live lobsters selling them. Negotiate a price and buy as many as you want. He passed away several years ago and I haven't been camping there for a long time so I don't know if his family still does it or not.

The titanium sand mine is all that is there as the old fish camp is gone. . the old homes at the base of the dunes are torn down.

ReTire - 12-30-2018 at 04:28 PM

I get it! I would never steal a lobster. And I do respect the locals...after all I’m just a visitor!

willardguy - 12-30-2018 at 05:23 PM

I get it! I would never steal a lobster. And I do respect the locals...after all I’m just a visitor!

you didn't mention which side you're considering lobstering:light:

ReTire - 12-30-2018 at 05:37 PM

I’m gonna be on both sides. Guessing that the bugs are on the PAC side.

willardguy - 12-30-2018 at 05:50 PM

I’m gonna be on both sides. Guessing that the bugs are on the PAC side.

not all of em!;)