BajaNomad

OsmAndMaps Questions

John Harper - 1-24-2019 at 06:20 PM

I bought the contour lines plug in for California, but it does not seem to do anything. I went into Maps and Resources and clicked the box so it has a check mark now, but no topo features so far. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Hate to pee away $1.99, that's a cold Pacifico.

In the plug in section for Wyoming and Mexico, both those contour line boxes are now checked. Hmm.

John

[Edited on 1-25-2019 by John Harper]

advrider - 1-24-2019 at 06:25 PM

Make sure you zoom in enough for them to show, do a restart on your phone. I use OSM and it is really easy to learn. trick I learned to make a track/route on the fly is use the measuring device to measure a trail or road then save it and it will be a route you can use..

John Harper - 1-24-2019 at 06:38 PM

Yes, I think it's shows some more details now. I did shut the phone off and turn it back on, maybe that helped.

John

advrider - 1-24-2019 at 07:39 PM

You will like it, much easier to use then any GPS ever..... There is a Chinese phone that is Mil spec for a few hundred bucks new on eBay that works really good... Look on adv rider or google for all of the details.

caj13 - 1-24-2019 at 08:48 PM

As AdvRider says John,
I bought a Kyocera E6560. Cost me 40 bucks I believe. Mil-Spec. I loaded on some apps, it has the GPS chip, and will run the software you speak of. I didn't put in a phone chip, no need to, have my normal phone. works great . I run it on my motorcycle for navigation, load on trail maps and topo, also use it as a speedometer on my POS rover that doesn't have a working speedo, plus I can load on music and podcasts and bluetooth it to a portable speaker or your car system if its bluetooth compatible

John Harper - 1-25-2019 at 06:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
As AdvRider says John,
I bought a Kyocera E6560. Cost me 40 bucks I believe. Mil-Spec. I loaded on some apps, it has the GPS chip, and will run the software you speak of. I didn't put in a phone chip, no need to, have my normal phone. works great . I run it on my motorcycle for navigation, load on trail maps and topo, also use it as a speedometer on my POS rover that doesn't have a working speedo, plus I can load on music and podcasts and bluetooth it to a portable speaker or your car system if its bluetooth compatible

That sounds great, I'll look into it. Probably has a camera too, so I can just use it when backpacking. Thank you, all.

John