BajaNomad

El Pescadero. Dare we call it anti-Cabo?

Lee - 3-6-2019 at 05:09 PM

''These fields of produce are nearly all under contract; they are contractually bound to sell their crops to large produce importers in the United States. These contracts are signed before the seeds even hit the dirt. Most of the farmers have been organized into Mexican co-ops by Mexicans, who make these deals with the Americans. This is why it’s so hard to find good produce here; the good stuff is trucked north while the runty food is left behind.''

Carrie is wrong and doesn't live here. If she did she'd know produce, grown locally, is available everywhere.

''This town is definitely the home of independent people, as there is only one housing development, aptly named Pueblo Pescadero. The houses start at around $260,000 and are mostly sold out. It’s a smallish development of about 40 two and three bedroom homes. If you don’t want the headaches of building your own home, and want the piece of mind of knowing how your home was built, this is a good option. Well, it’s your only option in this sleepy part of Baja called El Pescadero. There will be no danger of it changing in our lifetime.''

''There will be no danger (of Pesky) changing in our lifetime.'' Pesky is changing everyday. I think it's for the better.

https://www.gringogazette.com/?q=content/el-pescadero#sthash...

pacificobob - 3-7-2019 at 07:54 AM

good points lee

BajaBlanca - 3-7-2019 at 10:28 AM

I so agree with Lee, every time we briefly stop by Pescadero, it has changes and all for the better! Such a beautiful town that seems to be blossoming into an even more charming town.

pauldavidmena - 3-7-2019 at 11:16 AM

It's a weird, meandering article. The author even contradicts herself, correcting those who call the pueblo "El Pescador" and then using the incorrect phrase herself a few paragraphs later. Is she paying Pesky a compliment ("Pretty much nothing happens in Pescadero, it’s just people quietly living the Mexican experience") or telling her readers to stay away, touting Pueblo Pescadero as "your only option"? It's hard to tell what her intent is beyond confusing people.

It reads as if her only Pescadero experience was brief, and probably less than positive. I don't live there, but even I know that fresh produce is available at Agricole and the Sunday Farmers' Market at Baja Beans. There are probably more options than that if one bothers to look for them.

I agree that Pescadero is changing for the better. It's why I keep coming back, and why I look forward to the day when I can stay for longer than a week.

Lee - 3-7-2019 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
It's a weird, meandering article. The author even contradicts herself, correcting those who call the pueblo "El Pescador" and then using the incorrect phrase herself a few paragraphs later. Is she paying Pesky a compliment ("Pretty much nothing happens in Pescadero, it’s just people quietly living the Mexican experience") or telling her readers to stay away, touting Pueblo Pescadero as "your only option"? It's hard to tell what her intent is beyond confusing people.

It reads as if her only Pescadero experience was brief, and probably less than positive. I don't live there, but even I know that fresh produce is available at Agricole and the Sunday Farmers' Market at Baja Beans. There are probably more options than that if one bothers to look for them.

I agree that Pescadero is changing for the better. It's why I keep coming back, and why I look forward to the day when I can stay for longer than a week.

You caught that too. El Pescador? She had to be drinking, heavily. To be so obviously wrong in these comments is just puzzling.

Her comment about Cindy at the Oasis is on the mark though. Lots of people agree with the speed through town as bad. Use to be topes here starting on the edge of town going S. When the road was redone, I immediately thought ''where the hell are the topes?''

Obviously those in power feel differently. Too bad.

pauldavidmena - 3-7-2019 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Her comment about Cindy at the Oasis is on the mark though. Lots of people agree with the speed through town as bad. Use to be topes here starting on the edge of town going S. When the road was redone, I immediately thought ''where the hell are the topes?''

Obviously those in power feel differently. Too bad.

I had heard that four-lane highways in Mexico could not have topes, but I have a hard time believing that. One would think that there's a happy medium between suspension-busters and useless cardboard cop cars.

tiotomasbcs - 3-7-2019 at 01:35 PM

Such B.S. Let Sleeping Dogs lie. :cool:

defrag4 - 3-8-2019 at 11:56 PM

this enitre rag reads like it was written by a 13 year old girl

havent spent much time in Es Pecadero but anyplace that can one can hide out at a decent price between Todos Santos and Los Cabos sounds alright by me

[Edited on 3-9-2019 by defrag4]